What exactly does a voice teacher do other than tell you when you are
off-key ( that I can tell myself because I always record myself )..
I get the impression that people confuse one's natural progress with a
voice teacher's instruction.

I am willing to try voice lessons again, but want to know what to
expect. The first teacher I had really did not do much except give me
some boring scales to practice..
A proper teacher will teach you technique, posture, breath support, tone, diction, and many other things.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
the boring scales are actually pretty essential for beginners. Also he'll teach you lot of techniques, hopefully is going to show you what you are doing wrong in order to prevent you from destroying your voice...

It's boring in the beginning (as learning the guitar or other instruments is as well) but it's essential. Especially because you can't replace your broken voice as you can do with a guitar...
Quote by Reeen
the boring scales are actually pretty essential for beginners. Also he'll teach you lot of techniques, hopefully is going to show you what you are doing wrong in order to prevent you from destroying your voice...

It's boring in the beginning (as learning the guitar or other instruments is as well) but it's essential. Especially because you can't replace your broken voice as you can do with a guitar...
Agreed. Scales have an incredible amount of importance.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
As a voice teacher, part of my job is similar to that of a spotter in weightlifting. I'm there to watch you do it, and to catch you when you're not doing it right. Learning to sing properly involves, through repetition, direct instruction, modeling, and visualizing, developing an awareness of how it feels to sing properly, and then through more repetition, to develop the habit of singing properly.

When watching a person's face and neck, and listening carefully to what they are doing during exercises, a knowledgeable teacher can pinpoint whether the student is opening the throat sufficiently (and figure out why they aren't), whether the student is placing the voice properly (and where they might be instead, if they are not doing it properly), whether they are breathing properly, using the diaphragm properly, etc.

I'm not much of one on diction as far as enunciating consonants and what-not. Proper vowel formation is essential, but if you are singing properly, your consonants will be fine. The better news is that, with proper technique, you won't even need a pop filter to tame all those p's and b's when you are recording!!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.