Heres the thing,

mondays round my area has this band get together where we all peeps come to jam and watever they want.
they have these marshalls, not great but good enuff. they had their PA system stolen reli soo we decided to put it through a marshall and turn gain and everything down. to cut a long story short it kinda caught fire.

At which point this twat says bout it being (and i quote) 'the first rule in music not to put vocals into a guitar amp'. not i dont kno everything bout everything but this sounds total bollocks to me.

I wanna kno for the geniuses of UG, is this true or can ya put vocals into a normal amp with no probs??

Thanks
Not bollocks. A guitar amp doesn't have the frequency range for vocals and will muddy them up. My wife uses a Gorilla GC-25 at the piano to sing with and it works ok. But I played a backing track from the GNX4 into a Fender Pro Jr and the vocals were so muddy you could hardly make them out. Won't hurt to try and if you have a modeling amp and use a preamp then into the aux in that would give the best results. Just go try it if you want a real answer.
Well, in my first band, our vocalist used to run his voice through a little 5 watt Carlo-Robelli "Acoustic Guitar Amplifier" amp for the first several months till we finally got a PA system. That amp survived all his screaming pretty well.

I never heard about the vocals into a guitar amp thing though, the thing I heard about was not running a bass guitar through a regular guitar cabinet at loud volumes (loud volumes being key) as it would melt the voice coils.

I blew up a guitar amp with a guitar before myself....

Fender Jag-stang with EMG pickups through a Gorilla GC-25 practice amp. My rhythm guitarist had a 75 watt Peavey combo, our other guitarist had a Randall 75 watt combo, no drummer that time, and I was stuck with the Gorilla because we could not fit my amp into the Rhythm guitarist's car (Epiphone 30 watt combo). Anyway, we were 15 minutes in, I could not hear myself well, and what I could hear sounded like crap. Anyway, mid song #5....everyone's screaming at me to stop....I turn around, the Gorilla is literally smoking from the voice coil and the electronics area, yet still capable of playing. The entire electronics panel that was made of metal was too hot to touch, and the voice coil burned my fingertip when I licked it and touched it. EMGs + practice amp up all the way = kill your practice amp.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Oct 5, 2009,
If the amp doesn't have an XLR input then its not safe to run a mic into it. If an XLR plug is plugged into an instrument jack using a converter then its not grounded properly (or something along those lines, I forget the exact details) and it can damage your amp.

Not to mention, amps without XLR inputs aren't going to have speakers that are equipped to handle vocal frequencies. Amps that do have XLR inputs have speakers that can handle the frequencies and are equipped with tweeters (and sometimes horns).