Just got back from the store, and I wanted to share my thoughts on some of the stuff I tried out. Unless specified, the guitar used was a Heritage Les Paul.

First off, the Peavey Windsor Studio ($400). From demos I've seen, I thought it sounded lousy, but when I tried it out in person, it sounded great. The cleans were very nice, and it had a nice overdrive to it. I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for high gain stuff, but for jazz, blues, and some rock, I'd go for it.

Next, the Digitech Death Metal ($50) pedal. I've heard horrible things about it, but I plugged it into the Windsor with about half gain, and it sounded great for leads. I wouldn't suggest cranking the gain or using it for rhythm, so I'd just hit it for a solo (on a clean amp, I'd use a different pedal for distorted rhythm).

After I tried that, I tried the hyped up Bad Monkey ($50). It sounded ok at most, I don't get all the hype on here surrounding it.

Now, a change of amps. I plugged into a Peavey Rage 158 ($120), and depending on what kind of stuff they play, I'd suggest it to a beginner looking for a first amp. It's a pretty good practice amp, but that's about it.

I then decided to try an Ibanez Destroyer ($700), their copy of an Explorer. I played that through a Roland Cube 30x ($230), Peavey Windsor, and a Roland Jazz Chorus 90 (unsure of the price). It was about as heavy as the Les Paul, but it had a nice moderately thin neck, it reminded me a bit of a Strat neck, which I love. It was really comfy to play sitting down, and the DiMarzio D Activators in it sounded great. It sustained for ages, and the sounds I got out of it were quite pleasant. I'd highly recommend it for people looking to buy a nice guitar for hard rock or metal.

I'd review the Les Paul (around $2000), but I don't like Les Pauls. My friend did all of the playing on that, minus the time I had to show him how to work a tube amp.

Hope you enjoy the read! As you can tell, I'm not much of a reviewer, but someone might get something good out of this.

Oh, and here's a picture of the Ibanez if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by Alex Vik at Oct 8, 2009,
what Destroyer?

is it an old one or is it the new Destroyers?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what Destroyer?

I'm pretty sure it's a new one, since it's got that little cut in the bottom that makes it different than Gibson ones.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what Destroyer?

The pic is a new one, and I doubt GC would ever get an old one.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

It was actually a local music store that I went to, not Guitar Center.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

i didint see the pic.

My local store had one. it was Cherry Red had an Ibanez Edge Bridge and dimarzio pups. i was secks
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
UK music stores have like 1/5 of the merchandise in their stores compared to this picture....
^ haha, yeah

nice reviews
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Alex Vik
I'm pretty sure it's a new one, since it's got that little cut in the bottom that makes it different than Gibson ones.

They've always had that cut in them as far as I know. Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden used one back in the early '80s and his had that cut in it.

As for the DigiTech Death Metal - I've owned one for years and while its nothing to write home about it definitely isn't as bad as UGers like to make it out to be.

I have a question about the Bad Monkey, though - how did you have the knobs set?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I have a question about the Bad Monkey, though - how did you have the knobs set?

I left everything at 12:00 but the gain knob, which I had at 9, 12, 3, and cranked. Maybe if I had messed with it a bit it would've sounded good, but it didn't click with me.
Quote by Alex Vik
I left everything at 12:00 but the gain knob, which I had at 9, 12, 3, and cranked. Maybe if I had messed with it a bit it would've sounded good, but it didn't click with me.

There's why. The Bad Monkey is a horrible OD. However, its an amazing boost. Had you ran it as a boost (Volume cranked, Gain cut nearly to "0" or all the way to "0", and tone wherever you please) you would have been happier with it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
There's why. The Bad Monkey is a horrible OD. However, its an amazing boost. Had you ran it as a boost (Volume cranked, Gain cut nearly to "0" or all the way to "0", and tone wherever you please) you would have been happier with it.

Ah, that explains it. Would I have noticed any difference with it at lower volumes? I didn't have a chance to crank the amp.