I posted this in the 5150/6505 thread, and i'm looking for some quick suggestions/replies so I decided to post here too!

So my 6505+ decided to die on me yesterday. After checking the amp over and getting no power I set about checking the fuses (Plug fuse is fine, fuse in the amp totally blown).

I discovered that the fuse inside was a 3.15 and set about replacing it with one of the same today. After turning the amp on and letting it heat up i turned the standby off to be greeted with another blown fuse and seemingly a blown pure tube!

At this point I decided to check the instruction manual and noticed that it while the fuse that came out of the amp was a 3.15 (and this is noted on the back of the amp), the manual says it should contain a 5 amp fuse?

After noticing this, i decided to give the amp a try with a 5 and discovered that it did work but that one of my power tubes had gone.

Anyway, I'm going to give peavey a call tomorrow given that I've only had the amp since may and see if they can help, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions right now as to whether I should change my tubes or whatever?

Sorry about the essay but this is urgent and ANY help you guys give me will be greatly appreciated!

EDITEDITEDIT: Still going to phone peavey, not looking to make any inspections myself... just looking for some potential causes/suggestions
Top lel.
Last edited by the memory at Oct 5, 2009,
wait and talk to them first, they might send you a new set for free and you will just have to get them installed

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I am still going to phone them, was just looking for a few suggestions as to the fuse problem?
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
I am still going to phone them, was just looking for a few suggestions as to the fuse problem?

Wait to talk to them. If you do something without knowing what you're doing and bugger it up, you can kiss your warranty goodbye
ohai little sig.
Tubes die, that's a normal part of owning a tube amp, if they're the tubes that came with it originally you're gonna want new ones anyway.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Demonikk
Wait to talk to them. If you do something without knowing what you're doing and bugger it up, you can kiss your warranty goodbye

yeah totally! I am definetly not going to open it up!

Just looking for suggestions
Top lel.
Wait, lemme explain this better.

I believe the fuse should be a 3.15, the mains fuse will blow if a tube blows in the right way, but this will only be triggered after you switch out of standby (Standby just turns the cathode heaters on to get everything ready)

Everything that's happened is perfectly normal for a tube blowing. I set fire to a tube in my amp after it was pretty new, power tubes are meant to last a year, but CP tubes are pretty unreliable sometimes.

Unless there's some other weird occurance, that's probably along the lines of what peavy will tell you. You may scam a set of tubes out of them, but I doubt it. You'll want some nicer tubes anyway, OEM tubes usually suck.
Just get new tubes and take it to a Peavey tech, they'll install the tubes and have you on your way.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
The weird thing is the actual fuse in the mains plug hasnt blown? just the fuse within the amp itself?
Top lel.