So if you haven't noticed, Myspace is dead. It was once a brilliant place to gain exposure and fans, but anymore it's almost a waste of time to be utilizing Myspace, when your efforts can be put forward to a more formidable place.

My question for you guys is, what do you think that place is? I know Reverbnation is a good place to find venues and whatnot, but you won't find many fans there. Facebook has a "My Band" app, but that's not as easy to gain exposure with, as most people don't want to be adding random apps to their pages.

Any ideas on what you think is the main social networking center these days? Are there any?
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
I guess Myspace is still king. It is fairly dead, but it still wins
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
There's this thing called "Real Life". It involves going to gigs and calling around on the phone to talk to the actual people in your community who are directly involved with the local music industry.

I find it to be the most effective method. It's also free.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You can get your own server for not very much, I think that is still the best way to do it. Having a BandName.com is awesome, and looks very professional. If you have some geek friend willing to help out, this is the way to do it. Really nothing is a substitute for playing gigs.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by AlanHB
There's this thing called "Real Life". It involves going to gigs and calling around on the phone to talk to the actual people in your community who are directly involved with the local music industry.

I find it to be the most effective method. It's also free.

You can't live in the past, the internet and networking through there is the future, there's no denying. Hell, it's already the present.

But sure, you can also use "social" networking in conjunction with that.
Quote by AlanHB
There's this thing called "Real Life".

This.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Having a BandName.com looks very professional.

And this.

After that, there's Myspace, Facebook and [sadly] Twitter. Beware though, if you're too persistent with your advertising, people will block you or strike you off their list. Mass messages get to be a pain in the ass.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
You really need to promote in real life. People are getting pretty immune to social network advertising/promotion, and they should be. It has gotten over saturated to the point of it being a joke. Myspace has tons of ****ty bands posting 20 bulletins a day about how they have an ear-shattering bad demo up/their first show/looking for a member. Nobody wants that. Facebook gets more filled with pages and apps everyday with people looking to make a name for themselves but probably won't.

Long story short, be real and talk to people. My example to prove I'm not a hypocrite: my band sold out of the first pressing of our new CD in a week just by talking to friends, family, random people, whoever would show some interest in what we were doing and asking if they would be interested in a CD.
play shows, and as much as possible, meet new people. Have a myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. But you really need to get out there take the time to meet people and talk to them.

Also promote an after show party, works every time. I've done it at one gig where everyone gets stamped at the door saying they've payed, Told everyone to come by my drummers house after the gig and caravanned there with 20+cars. show us the stamp at the house and your in. Don't have a stamp...bring a case of beer and your in.

Because who doesn't love a good party
Quote by peacemaker898
You can't live in the past, the internet and networking through there is the future, there's no denying. Hell, it's already the present.

But sure, you can also use "social" networking in conjunction with that.

Promoting in real life is a necessity. You can have the best looking myspace around to go in the pile of millions of bands who do, or you can meet the people who actually hire bands to play gigs. Your choice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For the scene to know you you have to know the scene. Be in it. Go to other local shows and support the local scene. Go up and talk to the band members after the show. Tell them you play in a fellow local band and you were just comin to check them out and say hey. After the show, drop them a comment on their myspace saying something about it. They will go to your page and check it out since they met you in person already. Chat with the people there that are fans also. If other bands know who you are, and they like you, they'll likely relay you to their fans. Or setup shows with you and tell all their fans to stay or come early for you guys.

Facebook, myspace, twitter, reverbnation, garageband etc. all those are should be up and maintained. Lastfm.com is also a good one to put your stuff on. Sig check in the future for venues . I've never really done the second life thing, so I can't say. You have to be in front of as many eye as possible and have the appearance of a professional band. Else at first glance a random user will just see you as a cut-rate local band and the likeliness of them giving you a shot is slim to none. First impression is everything. Make it good!