I have played guitar, basic rythym, on my acoustic since 1987. I didn't get serious about getting much better and I didn't get an electric guitar until four years ago. I definitely have learned a lot with help from instructors, friends and wonderful forums like this one. I am continously learning something new all the time.

The one thing that I need to learn about more is using pedals to affect you sound. Two of the ones that I purchased pretty quickly was a Boss TU-2 tuner and Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. Looking at the very basics of pedals I know having a tuner and distortion/overdrive pedal would be there. What would also be included?

The music that my band plays is classic rock. So, I can see that a wah pedal would probably be one.

Thanks for your advice and knowledge in helping me learn more.

Smiledoc
Your post is a bit vague, so I'm unsure exactly what you want.
You don't exactly have to have pedals to get great tone, but if it's for the sake of experimentation, then:
You got delay, whammy, phase shifter, etc.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Quote by bluestratplayer
delay

You think he should wait even longer then

Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
Flanger can be pretty fun to play around with
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Dude, i came here to learn sex, not math.

Uncool.
Quote by marmaliser
You think he should wait even longer then

! I lol'd sir! I lol'd IRL and everything!

TS, maybe look at a chorus pedal or something. They're quite nice for thickening up your tone and adding a bit of something to your cleans.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Chorus, possibly a flanger, reverb or delay of some sort and a wah. An EQ can do wonders too.
You want to be a bit cautious, though. A mate of mine now carts a 4 foot rack FX system around with him.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What's your complete rig, TS?

BTW: you can't go weong with delay and reverb, possibly chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and wah.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
That blues driver will really come alive with a tube amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I did realize it probably would have helped to give more info on the gear I play. I am mainly playing a Paul Reed Smith C24 and, sometimes, playing a Fender Telecaster. My amp is a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 and a Mesa 2 X 12.

My band plays alot of 70's Classic Rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, Thin Lizzy, The Marshall Tucker Band, etc... Alot of southern rock, as you can see.

I do have a few Boss pedals: TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, BD-2 Blues Driver and DS-1 Distortion. I also just bought CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, PH-3 Phase Shifter and a Vox Wah-Wah (model V847).

I asked my inital question because I'm trying out these new pedals and I was thinking about the music that my band plays. It seems like the tuner, blues driver, chorus, wah-wah and getting a delay pedal would cover most of the music we do. So, I'm unsure if I need the phase shifter even though it sounds cool.

Thanks for your feedback,

Smiledoc
Quote by smiledoc
So, I'm unsure if I need the phase shifter even though it sounds cool.
It's not The Allman Brothers playing Whipping Post or whatever its called, it is you playing the song. If you want to add a hint of phase, go for it; nothing wrong with adding your own element to the music.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."