The kind of speaker I'm looking for should be able to handle high gain (heavy metal, thrash, etc.) while being versatile enough to do all sorts of rock (classic, hard rock, alt., etc).

It should have a tight bottom end, smooth mids and a high end that isn't too overbearing (not too shrill, not too weak).

My amp? Refer to my signature, I've decided to upgrade the pre-amp tube and the speaker.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Everyone will tell you to get a new amp but if you don't want to then that's up to you. I have a Celestion G10 in my amp that is pretty damn nice. Not sure about it being voiced for metal though. The only high-ish gain 1x10 I can think of is the Mesa 5:25, and I think that they use Mesa branded speakers...

Isn't your amp big enough to put a 12 inch speaker in it? That would give some more options to you.
From top to bottom the amp is 15 inches, however, the grill cloth is 11.4 inches top to bottom, the GC from side to side is a little over 15 inches though. Or am I measuring wrong?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

^ you need a 10" speaker for the AVT20.

the only 10" speaker i know that is ok for highgain is the Eminence Red Fang
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
ted weber makes 10's, get a celestion copy, recommend a ceramic silver ten
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by greggybhoy
Everyone will tell you to get a new amp but if you don't want to then that's up to you. I have a Celestion G10 in my amp that is pretty damn nice. Not sure about it being voiced for metal though. The only high-ish gain 1x10 I can think of is the Mesa 5:25, and I think that they use Mesa branded speakers...

Isn't your amp big enough to put a 12 inch speaker in it? That would give some more options to you.

Yeah, turns out that the stock speaker in the Marshall AVT20 is a Celestion G10.

I'm not sure about any of the recommended speakers from this thread though.

Also, what's a good pre-amp tube that suits my needs? (see first post)
Quote by RU Experienced?

I don't really feel that a speaker upgrade is worth the money on that amp. 10" drivers just don't work well for high gain.

Changing a single preamp tube will make very little difference either.
Honestly, a speaker change won't really be worth it. A preamp tube change will do next to nothing, I hate to say it but you should sav up for a new amp.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ