ok. so i got this old ibanez les paul. and i was going to restore it to its original look. but im not going to sell it so i would rather have it the way i want it. i want a really soft feeling finish. and i want the color to be black. im not sure if i should have a glossy finish with a satin black. will that be weird? and im going to install all good hardware and make the trim around the guitar gold. but at the head of my guitar there is a kinda big chip in the corner of it there are pics of it on my profile. i need to know how to fix the trim that is missing on the corner of the head. and also one of the anchors for the tail piece was sunkin into the guitars body and it is a little damaged. i will put detailed pics up for anyone that could help. please help me.
French polish that bish.
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M
Schecter Stiletto Custom 4

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

And way too many effects.
look refinishing or restoring guitars on google or something. i got some cool ideas from a few different sites, and some will give you step by step instructions in which you can kind of customize to what you want. good luck
^^^

OR, you could be helpful and suggest something instead of telling them to do the obvious google search.

Just go to ReRanch and learn how to Nitro finish a guitar via their instructions... They are extremely helpful, they have forums, and I am sure you could find a way to contact them for help if need be.

Get a clothes hanger and a well-ventilated work space that isn't suscetible to the weather and finish in there. Don't use a storebought spray can, you'll get uneven coverage and runs and drips and it will look and feel horrible.
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M
Schecter Stiletto Custom 4

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

And way too many effects.
Last edited by TheTrebleMaker at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by TheTrebleMaker
^^^

OR, you could be helpful and suggest something instead of telling them to do the obvious google search.
Yeah. Like using the proper thread.

TS, go here: The GB&C Central Hub
Scroll down to the top of the second post and take the link to the Painting/Refinishing thread.

READ the first few posts. Post any painting questions there.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by TheTrebleMaker
^^^

Just go to ReRanch and learn how to Nitro finish a guitar via their instructions... They are extremely helpful, they have forums, and I am sure you could find a way to contact them for help if need be.

Get a clothes hanger and a well-ventilated work space that isn't suscetible to the weather and finish in there. Don't use a storebought spray can, you'll get uneven coverage and runs and drips and it will look and feel horrible.

thanks man. wow. thanks. i'm so dumb. thanks for elaborating. i just... wow thanks
Your profile pics don't show all of the head, just a fragment of it, which is only the nut to the first machine head.
..I was watching my death.
k, now theres a pic of the head. i forgot to put one on my profile. also i was wondering if it would be bad to sand the top of my guitar. its a les paul with the carved top. so its thin. and seems a little week. would it be ok to sand it down to the wood.
Quote by thooperman101
k, now theres a pic of the head. i forgot to put one on my profile. also i was wondering if it would be bad to sand the top of my guitar. its a les paul with the carved top. so its thin. and seems a little week. would it be ok to sand it down to the wood.

Theres no other proper way to do it, othen than using heat which can potentially burn your guitar. I don't know if you can use chemicals to do the job, I wouldn't reccomend it though.

EDIT: Just looked at the pic... I have no idea how to fix that chip in the headstock. I'm no pro at this stuff. My guess would be, wood filler? I'd say a Google search would do wonders.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Oct 6, 2009,