This may be a stupid question, but do you always have your volume knob turned up all the way, for everything you play? I find that when I have mine up all of the way, my playing sounds sloppy from when I lift my hand up off of the strings, but when I turn it down a bit, it sounds better. If you don't turn it up all of the way, when DO you? Thanks.
Turn it up during a solo. Or leave it all the way down, and use it for volume swells.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I keep mine up all the way because my pickups are too high output for the knob to have much of a taper anyway. I turn it down for clean work though.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Playing with the levels of your volume knob is one way of getting different tones, so no I dont always have it up. I usually keep it up if Im playing the bridge pickup, cus its more abrasive. I use my neck pickup for clean and usually dial the volume back a little for added warmth. My solo tone is usually neck pickup, volume back a little, tone all the way down, and distortion/overdrive. And all of those tones sound like a different guitar.
Well, when I am on my bridge with the volume all the way up, my guitar makes fuzz sounds like crazy when I move my fretting hand. I know how to mute and everything, but there is no helping that. I don't want to take the easy way out by lowering the volume if this isn't supposed to be a problem. I'm also using INF pickups (in my RG350DX). Are my pickups bad, is it supposed to be this way, or am I doing something wrong?
If you're getting feedback, and have no problems with palm-muting, try lowering your pickups a little bit. Get a screwdriver and loosen the screws around the pickups themselves and you'll notice they'll start to go down. You should never keep them all the way down, but never all the way up either, because if they're lowered too much you won't get the sound you're looking for, but if they're too high you'll get a ****load of feedback. (first-hand experience tells me this. I've had my bridge pickup almost touching my strings and it the feedback was unbelievable until I lowered it.) Try to find a good position for your pickups and the problems should go away.
I like doing that sort of jeff beck, eric johnson thing where you play a note/chord with the volume completely down then turn it up on the beat, also I don't change the gain on the lead channel of my amp so I use the volume and tone knobs to go from a hard rock sound, to a blues tone, to a rock fusion sort of sound.
I think you're disadvantaging yourself if you don't touch you knob.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I have mine all the way up most of the time but it depends what I'm playing. For instance, if I'm playing Wishful Thinking by John Petrucci, I turn the volume down for the verses.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Deep*Kick
I like doing that sort of jeff beck, eric johnson thing where you play a note/chord with the volume completely down then turn it up on the beat, also I don't change the gain on the lead channel of my amp so I use the volume and tone knobs to go from a hard rock sound, to a blues tone, to a rock fusion sort of sound.
I think you're disadvantaging yourself if you don't touch you knob.

never has a truer word been spoken
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Satch and Van Halen are two guitarists that both turn down the volume knob to achieve warmer distortions and dirty cleans.
'Love is the Law, love under Will.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law'
I keep it all the way up unless playing an amp that I cannot switch to a clean channel with. Then I turn it almost all the way down to get clean sounds.
It definitely depends on what I am playing. Different volume levels give you different tones.

Also, certain tube amps let you control your distortion/gainy tone from the volume knob of your guitar. It is an important tool to learn to use.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.