When I was stuff about the Marshall MG amps I read that you can get much better amps for the same price. Can anyone tell me some of those better amps? I was looking at the Marshall MG10CD which is $60, can you guys tell me any better amps for that same price? Reason why I am going so low is because this will be my first amp and I don't really know how much I'll like guitar so I want to be safe.
no dude get the roland mini cube. Trust me if you get a bad amp you wont to play as much. its about 100 new but you could probably get it for much less used which I'd recomend. Its a really versatile starter amp so it should cover whatercer you play plus alot more, check it out
Head to a pawn and get the cheapest one they have if all ou want to do is get started. I had no idea what was what for a long time, I still dont. But now may not be the time to be picky, IMHO.

But a Roland Micro would be nice, or you can get a Line 6 30w Spider III off a guy around here for a sandwich.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
My first amp was a crate that I got for about $100, it still works after 3 years of abuse and travel. If don't already own a guitar, you might want to check into a starter kit or something (I know ibanez and laguna have a few) That way you get a guitar, a small practice amp, picks, a strap, maybe a tuner, and other various guitar trinkets. This will save you the hassle of having to purchase aformentioned trinkets individualy. At any rate good luck and stay away from anything that says MG or Spider!
Quote by KAS1981
Peavey Vypry 15. $100, not too bad.

Vypers are good, but everybody and his dog has one (especially metalhead beginners, cause as soon as you say metal Everyone says either peavey or vox) I'd say the cube is probably the best. My guitar teacher had one and it moved a lot of air for being such a tiny amp. And it comes with built in effects just like the vyper in case you get bored shredding til your ears bleed.
Quote by Darkflame
^i'd kill myself if my amp sounded like that

Lol is it really that bad? Someone send me a link of how a good amp should sound like, I really want to know what the standard is.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Roland Cube
Peavey Vypyr
Vox Valvetronix

+1 to these recomendations... Pick any of those 3 and you cant go wrong. I know that they are a little more expansive then 10watt amps are less known brand name 15 watters but they are definately worth it.

The effects on the valvetronix are really fun to mess around with
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by dsan224
Well obviously because the video had bad quality sound lol. But yeah I see what you mean, more of a deep and refined tone.
Yeah, I kind of thought that too, but from my experiences the old MG's were really bad. I hated them. They sounded kind of flat.
Quote by Darkflame
^i'd kill myself if my amp sounded like that

Wow... You do take tone seriously! I would just buy a better amp rather than off myself.

I use both a Roland Micro Cube and a Vox Valvetronix, and they are both good amps. Both have some cool effects to mess with, but I personally prefer the Vox Valvetronix. The problem I noticed with both of these amps is that the distortion sounds very, very digital. You might consider investing in a fairly good distortion pedal if you want better tone.

Either way, both are great amps. Check them both out!
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Soldano SLO

>.>
<.<

But really, try a Valvetronix out, they're great.
My spider iii 15w served me well for my first amp....very versatile, especially if your just getting started, and you can probably get your hands on one for pretty cheap
The cheapest decent beginner amp is the Vypyr 15. I know a lot of people want to add Roland and Vox to the list, but they aren't the cheapest.

edit: I was wrong. Looks like the Cube 15X is now $100. But it apparently has no reverb/delay or mod fx.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 6, 2009,
Vypyr 15
Microcube/Cube 15

Modelling amps are nice for beginners because you get to know what all the effects soudn like. and LAAAWD that MG10 clip sounds awful..
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Modelling amps are nice for beginners because you get to know what all the effects soudn like. and LAAAWD that MG10 clip sounds awful..

That last clip did sound terrible, I found that this one was much better. Produced by Marshall. The guitarist does a fine job explaining the limited features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyyPz_1_rFI&feature=related

But still, unless I was in a small doem room, Id get something with a few effects on it.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Do you guys think playing with the MG10CD amp will put me off playing guitar, while the Vypyr will actually make me like guitar more?
yes.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by dsan224
Do you guys think playing with the MG10CD amp will put me off playing guitar, while the Vypyr will actually make me like guitar more?
Yes
Quote by fly135
Yes

I was watching some youtube videos the Vypyr 15 doesn't sound THAT much better than the Marshall MG10 do you know any videos that show how good it is?
believe us. it rapes the head off of the mg easily
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Thesmartkid
Vypers are good, but everybody and his dog has one (especially metalhead beginners, cause as soon as you say metal Everyone says either peavey or vox) I'd say the cube is probably the best. My guitar teacher had one and it moved a lot of air for being such a tiny amp. And it comes with built in effects just like the vyper in case you get bored shredding til your ears bleed.

vox? only the cheap vox's are good for metal, and there are much better metal maps out there!
yes. i hate because they all sound like bees
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by dsan224
I was watching some youtube videos the Vypyr 15 doesn't sound THAT much better than the Marshall MG10 do you know any videos that show how good it is?
Listen to some of these...

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=vypyr

The ones that say direct next to mic will sound the same on all SS models of the Vypyr since it's just the preamp.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by fly135
Listen to some of these...

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=vypyr

The ones that say direct next to mic will sound the same on all SS models of the Vypyr since it's just the preamp.

Sounds pretty good, BUT for my first guitar I am probably getting a Fender Squier Bullet Strat, which will make it sound worse than in those sound clips.
LOL... you could get a $5000 Gilmour Replica Strat and you probably couldn't make it sound as good as those clips. Your talent has a lot to do with it.

A cheap electric can be as good as a much more expensive guitar if it's setup properly. However, I wouldn't recommend a Squier Bullet. Do you have any friends that know much about guitars? I see deals on Craigslist all the time for decent guitars that would cost no more than that Bullet new. But if you do have to get the Bullet, it will sound fine. The amp shapes the tone more than the guitar.
Quote by fly135
LOL... you could get a $5000 Gilmour Replica Strat and you probably couldn't make it sound as good as those clips. Your talent has a lot to do with it.

A cheap electric can be as good as a much more expensive guitar if it's setup properly. However, I wouldn't recommend a Squier Bullet. Do you have any friends that know much about guitars? I see deals on Craigslist all the time for decent guitars that would cost no more than that Bullet new. But if you do have to get the Bullet, it will sound fine. The amp shapes the tone more than the guitar.

Well I COULD get the Dean Vendetta XM, which is roughly the same price as the Squier Bullet.

http://www.music123.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-512150-i1147572.Music123

It has 24 frets, however no tremolo bar.
Yeah, I'd probably go with that. I really know nothing about the Bullet, but the Squier is the budget line, the Affinity is the budget budget line, and that makes the Bullet the budget budget budget line. Could it possibly get any worse than that?
TS,

Ultimatley, It dosent really matter what we (UG) thinks. However, we are trying to get you the best deal/bargain for your duckets. You can get a Mexi-Strat (MIM - Made in Mexico) for less that 300 dollars in pawn shops, on eBay, and CL. You just have to look. You wont find better practice amps than the Roland Cubes and Peavey Vypers.

If you decide to get a Bullet/Affinity Squier Strat and a MG10/Line 6 Spider you'll still have fun, but you can do so much better w/ your money, and the folks here will help you spend it.

Get on CL and try to find a HSS (Humbucker-Single coil-Single Coil) MIM Strat if you can. Probably THE BEST budget Guitar that I can think of. Quite posibly one of the most versitale set ups around.

Amp wise? - Where do you live, I'll do a little CL research for you.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
TS,

Ultimatley, It dosent really matter what we (UG) thinks. However, we are trying to get you the best deal/bargain for your duckets. You can get a Mexi-Strat (MIM - Made in Mexico) for less that 300 dollars in pawn shops, on eBay, and CL. You just have to look. You wont find better practice amps than the Roland Cubes and Peavey Vypers.

If you decide to get a Bullet/Affinity Squier Strat and a MG10/Line 6 Spider you'll still have fun, but you can do so much better w/ your money, and the folks here will help you spend it.

Get on CL and try to find a HSS (Humbucker-Single coil-Single Coil) MIM Strat if you can. Probably THE BEST budget Guitar that I can think of. Quite posibly one of the most versitale set ups around.

Amp wise? - Where do you live, I'll do a little CL research for you.

Thanks! I like like 30 minutes north of Washington DC, in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

I've never really used craiglist before. Do you actually go to their house and pick up the stuff, or what?
Oh man, DC.....

Here I come, I hope you can drive.

Start by browsing this page. Maryland's sub group page in the DC area.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/

This guitar has a crack in it, but if it works, its a deal.

85$ Jackson
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1409200617.html

299 Epi Plus Top - Great Guitar
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1408291975.html

All Tube Practice Amp - 175
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1400023234.html

Peavey bandit Amp - 85
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1400013288.html

Just knock around the site.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Oct 6, 2009,