I'm in a rut with what direction to go next. I play various styles of music, hence needing an extremely versatile amp head, and my Line 6 Flextone HD almost is up to par except the tone is kind of thin (solid state, duh) but I would like to reinforce the current sound I have already achieved without dumping the Line 6 head. I have another cab so I considered running a tube head into that cab and running both of them from my a/b/y switch but I've heard you run into some phasing issues with that. What would be a good step to take? I've also heard that those tube-driven pedals dont really do much for overall tone. Maybe a tube power/pre amp?
You could try a tube power amp. The VHT power amps are fairly popular for this purpose.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I would be willing to bet that the Line 6 doesn't take pedals very well.

You could try to look into a tube power amp, if you have a line out. Also, you could leave the Line 6 at home, and get a dedicated amp for whatever style is dominant in your needs (like your metal band or whatever).

Eddidit: You beat me to it, sly bastard!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
it is a myth that SS amps are thin(at least as a total generalization), just like any other amp you have to give them the support. if your tone is thin then try a big closed back cab with speakers that add low end to your signal, and then balance that with the other cab you have. all of a sudden you may have a more full sounding rig.

ps. i wouldn't worry about phasing issues, tube driven pedals aren't total gimmick but they also aren't a tube amp in a box. also, try making effects on the line 6 a little more subtle, you may find a little less gain and a little less effect mix will add more depth(i don't know how you use effects, just blind advice).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
raijouita- I have heard of these but they might be outside of my budget.

deathbydestroyer- you are correct in your assumption, even though it has an fx loop, it doesnt sound that good. I like the idea of running the line out, so would I just run the line 6's line-out into the input of the tube power amp?

gumbilicious- I have owned a few tube amps and in comparison, the tone of my ss is pretty thin. I have ran it through my 4x12 closed back cab and it sounded pretty good but still lacked oomph.
Quote by tfrost1988

gumbilicious- I have owned a few tube amps and in comparison, the tone of my ss is pretty thin. I have ran it through my 4x12 closed back cab and it sounded pretty good but still lacked oomph.

well, i can't argue with that.
Quote by tfrost1988

deathbydestroyer- you are correct in your assumption, even though it has an fx loop, it doesnt sound that good. I like the idea of running the line out, so would I just run the line 6's line-out into the input of the tube power amp?

yup
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
What do you tune in?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."