Alright guys so I go to a Christian school and while I am a Christian my school has epically failed in many ways I would to discuss this aspect of my fail-school I have to read Sinners In The Hands of an Angry God - Johnathen Edwards and write a three page essay not a huge problem except the assignment was given to me for American Liturature. Thats right folks I'm reading sermon for LITERATURE this just doesn't seem right I wouldn't complain if it was for Bible but I don't think literature class is meant for reading sermons.
Thoughts on this pit?
Quote by Ponyexpress
Alright guys so I go to a Christian school and while I am a Christian my school has epically failed in many ways I would to discuss this aspect of my fail-school I have to read Sinners In The Hands of an Angry God - Johnathen Edwards and write a three page essay not a huge problem except the assignment was given to me for American Liturature. Thats right folks I'm reading sermon for LITERATURE this just doesn't seem right I wouldn't complain if it was for Bible but I don't think literature class is meant for reading sermons.
Thoughts on this pit?

go to public school if you really cant stand it. its free
The Great Awakening is an important event in colonial history. While it's not literature, it was still significant. Quit your bitching and do it.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
... Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God is easily the most powerful example of campfire preaching in the Great Awakening. It's a good read.

Learn to history.

Also, I'm reading a 221 page book called The Souls of Black Folk, which is a compliation of a bunch of essays regarding the status of the black man at the turn of the century, and studying 84 questions on it for a test on thursday.

You have it easy. And interesting.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by genghisgandhi
go to public school if you really cant stand it. its free

He'll still get it. I read it junior year for American Lit. Like it or not TS, it was a very influential and well-written piece of literature. That's why you study it, not because of religious connections.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
I took a history of Western literature class in college and we read the New and the Old Testament because it was the most significant piece of literature for the time. I guess that book could be read for its insight into the inner workings of New England, Puritan society. Although many people do have trouble seeing past the religious aspects of scripture and sermons.
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Silly Christians and your inability to create sentences.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Christianity. Take out and rearrange some of the letters and you have sanity which is what they generally try to make. You also have cry, which is what you are doing. There is also cyst, what God gives you when he is sad. I like wordplay
Last edited by BK202 at Oct 5, 2009,
Learn to use periods. And my public school American Lit class had to read that. It's because it was a unit on famous poets/writers from early American settlers. We read from a few people.
Quote by namesroverrated
The Great Awakening is an important event in colonial history. While it's not literature, it was still significant. Quit your bitching and do it.

it's history not lit i wouldnt have a problem except it's being assigned to lit.
I had to read Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God For American Lit in my PUBLIC SCHOOL. I thought it was badass. So badass, in fact, that my band quoted it in a song. For the record, I'm not Christian.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
we read that in Lit. it is an extremely powerful sermon, and a great piece to gain insightful view on the ways and ideas of the Purists in the seveenth century.

so have an open mind dumbass, and enjoy the historical importance of it
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Dude, I go to a public school and I have to read and analyze the same thing for class on Wednesday.
dude a lot of schools read that because it is important when learning about puritan society in 17th century america. just because it is not literature in your english class doesn't mean you can't learn from it.
we did that in my school too, ( I go to a private christian school too), the worse part about mine was that we were learning more about religious history in language arts then history class, drives me crazy
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Stop trying to be a rebel and challenge everything. It was an important book in history.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

maybe if you learned your history, you would know why its so important....

and its not even boring or anything, jon edwards was one of the most spicy puritans out there.
Quote by Ponyexpress
it's history not lit i wouldnt have a problem except it's being assigned to lit.

When actual historians write the history books, they generally refer to primary sources, i.e. books, essays, pamphlets, manifestos, etc. from people written at that period of time.

So in essence, you are cutting out the middleman and interpreting history for yourself, or however your teacher teaches it.
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Last edited by GrungeBeatle at Oct 5, 2009,
Quote by pitobodies
I had to read Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God For American Lit in my PUBLIC SCHOOL. I thought it was badass. So badass, in fact, that my band quoted it in a song. For the record, I'm not Christian.

I don't think its that great seems like he repeats himself the whole way through
Page 1-12 "you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell you're goin to hell"
I did the exact same assignment when I went to catholic school. It's a christian school, that means they basically get to teach whatever they want wherever they want. Take my old history class for example, we learned an absolute ton about early architecture for churches, but never mentioned the Crusades. That's life.
What is the topic of the essay? As long as that is still in the confines of a American Literature class, then you should stop bitching.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
now discussion time:
i learned john edwards actually told that sermon in a very calm and well mannered tone of voice. and people still fainted and would burst into tears at the power behind his message. the imagery he used truely is astounding no matter what your beliefs may be.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Ponyexpress
not a book
and yes HISTORY not lit.

It's still a work of literature. Even if it is important to history, it's a work of literature first and foremost.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Quote by travd92
now discussion time:
i learned john edwards actually told that sermon in a very calm and well mannered tone of voice. and people still fainted and would burst into tears at the power behind his message. the imagery he used truely is astounding no matter what your beliefs may be.

well I guess you have a point there...
Quote by Ponyexpress
Thoughts on this pit?

Hey man its American literature....its literature and its American...
Fight the war, fuck the norm
Now I got no patience
So sick of complacence
With the D the E the F the I the A the N the C the E
Mind of a revolutionary
So clear the lane
...Whoever told you that is your enemy?