I was recently listening to Between the Buried and Me, and I have become obsessed with getting that "super smooth" tone Paul uses for solos and whatnot.

I have a Bugera 333xl running through the Bugera slant cab, with a Schecter C-1 FR completely stock.

I've tried a number of things I thought would make the tone less "fizzy" and sharp, like pulling back on treble, bass boosting, reducing gain, etc., but I really have no idea at all on how to get it as smooth as say, the ending parts to Ants of the Sky, around the 12:30 mark.

My current settings are as follows(on a 1 to 10 basis):
Treble:7
Mids:6
Bass:5.5

Gain: 6

Any suggestions you can give me are certainly appreciated.
Last edited by Lunchtits at Oct 5, 2009,
i have found that if you want that smooth, singing lead tone you want to boost you mids and cut your treble.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
i have found that if you want that smooth, singing lead tone you want to boost you mids and cut your treble.

I've been trying that, but it seems that the 333XL is very very inclined to just do a very "sizzly" tone.

Any pedal suggestions or something of that sort?
Quote by Alex Vik
Which pickup are you using? I'd suggest using the neck pickup for a smoother tone if you aren't already.

I use the neck pickup, and I've also tried pulling on the tone knob a bit.
Try using all pickups, roll back on the bass, boost your mids and trebs, gain around 3-5, roll back your tone.
You could invest in an EQ pedal but if you don't know what to do now it may just confuse you more. For months i had no idea how to get some good tone out of it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
String: Thanks for the suggestion, I'l try that and report back in a bit.

Tommy: I might get one anyways, just for ****s and giggles, but we'll see.

Thanks for the help guys.
i just had the 333xl and sold it, it was impossible for me to dial in a tight lead tone, it may sound brutal but it never was tamed, they made it wrong with the gain on 2 its screaming. i used a 31 band eq and rolled off some highs and mids and it was smoother but always sounded fizzy. just my opinion.

they made the lead channel to run off of two tubes and to me it just never sits right with the gain. its a heavy amp but not for professional lead tone imo.
Last edited by surface54 at Oct 6, 2009,