Hi, Im trying to change my pickups but i actually like to play somethings like guns n roses, metallica, santana, yngwie malmsteen, S.O.A.D, and many others styles but the main are these....

I was looking at the SD JB/Jazz set but some people says that they are not so good on Metal Tone... I looked at the EMG 81/85 and 81/60 but some people says that they are only for metal and the other styles are not so good on them...

Can you help me to choose a Versatile set of pickups for a Mahogany Body guitar wiht set-neck and tone O pros TOM? (Schecter C1+)
I'd go for a JB/Full Shred neck combo, maybe a Full Shred bridge/'59 combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You don't want new pickups unless you have a good amp... amp is 90% of your tone. What amp do you have?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by oneblackened
I'd go for a JB/Full Shred neck combo, maybe a Full Shred bridge/'59 combo.

dude i have a dimebucker/full shred combo and i love it! and they are set up for coil tapping. that full shred sounds amazing when tapped, and the dimebucker has this extremely nasty sound when tapped.

cianu, the bands you listed cover quite a variety of tones. yngwie uses strats with single coils for example. my EMGs go well with my mahogany guitar. if you go with seymour duncans, i think all of their hums can be coil tapped so you can sorta get a single coil tone out of em. my friend likes to rag on coil tapping but i havent heard a bad coil tapped pup yet. the full shred has a very strat-like sound when tapped and i highly reccomend that one. i have a JB in my seven string and i like it a lot, though i dont know if SD makes a more suitable bridge pup for metal.

certain EMGs can be tapped, i think its the 81TW and 89 models, but i dont have any experience with those. those will require a 9v battery and you dont have to cut any new holes in your guitar to fit them. lots of people on here dog active pups but ive always liked mine. personally, the 60a sounds better in the bridge than the 81. the clean tone is much better too.

good luck in your quest

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Imma get Full Shreds for my LP. Thing needs brightening.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nobody can give you goo pickup advice until we know:
- What your amp is.
- What your guitar is.
- What pedals (if any) you use.
- What your budget is and where you live.
- Your exact style of playing.
- What you think is wrong with your tone now and how you would like to change it.

Though for now I will simply tell you something that everyone who actually knwos what they're talking about will tell you: most of your tone comes form your amp, then your guitar as a whole. Changing pickups actually makes very little difference to your tone unless you're doing a really drastic change (e.g. passive pcikups to active pickups, single coils to humbuckers, etc). Quite often changing pickups will make very little or completely no difference to your tone.

Quote by oneblackened
Imma get Full Shreds for my LP. Thing needs brightening.
A Duncan Distortion will brighten up an LP more than a Full Shred will, especially in the bridge position. Though bear in mind those are both quite high output pickups, and depending on your amp or pedals the output might be completely pointless. For most people, a better way of brightening an LP's tone is to go with very low output pickups with a hgih resonant peak, something like Seth Lover, Pearly Gates or '59 model Seymour Duncan pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Oct 5, 2009,
Go for a SD JB in the bridge and a SD 59' in the neck.
I find it to be the most evened up combination for metal and for other styles of music.
The JB is excelent on the bridge position to play metal, and the 59' is great to play clean or with any other effect other than distortion.
This combination works even better if your guitar is Les Paul shaped... the amount of wood in it offers you great tone.

I can't say this enough... I love the JB.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
The emg 81 and 60 is versatile combo for metal

as for the passives

you may want check out the Dimarzio Breed in both positions or go with the SD JB and 59 combo.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369