Ok, this is me trying to plan ahead. I got some great advice from people on here and managed to track down a guitar store about an hour away (nstuffmusic.com's actual store) which I will be visiting to try out guitars as soon as my friend gives me the four hundred dollars she owes me (should be between now and mid december, ugh!) in the meantime I've decided to amp shop online since that store doesnt seem to have much in my price range (except line six spiders and marshall mg's which I've been warned about) and just get the amp out of the way ahead of time. My amp budget is $100 (can stretch to $120). I know I should invest more in the amp but honestly, it's going to have to work through headphones and mostly be used in a college dorm so until I'm out of college I dont feel the need to invest too much more.

I'm planning on purchasing one of these four guitars: Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Epi Dot, or Ibanez Artcore AS93. I'm aware that theyre VERY different but I like the sound of all of them (single coils = epic win but humbuckers in a semi hollow just make my mouth water) and I'm positive I will be happy with whatever feels best. I just need an amp that can be used well with whatever I end up with. I play a bit of everything (which is rather difficult on my crappy acoustic haha). Not so much hardcore metal but more along the lines of Ani DiFranco to Coldplay to Counting Crows to Jefferson Airplane to Moby to Oasis to Talking Heads to U2 to Yeah Yeah Yeahs and also a little bit of blues (which I'm growing to enjoy more and more). So that should give a basic idea of my playing preferences. I know I wont get a miracle for this price, but whatever works best would be lovely =)
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
check craiglist 4 guitar
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I personally like Fender Frontman amps. I have a 15 watt one that was about 100$, and I love the sounds it can make. I can fiddle with the knobs and make almost any kind of music sound great on it.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
check craiglist 4 guitar

umm.. this is, and I mean it respectively, completely unhelpful. I stated where I'm getting my guitar and when and that I already have a good price ($449 for the fenders, $400 for the Epi, or $479 for the Ibanez, or if I'm willing to get an old model strat from last year, $389 and free setup while I wait regardless of my choice). You have not guided me toward my amp at all or if you have I do not understand your post.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
heres what i mean,buy used guitar is better cuz you get more $$$ 4 amp

and i guess a Peavey vypyr would do the job
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
heres what i mean,buy used guitar is better cuz you get more $$$ 4 amp

and i guess a Peavey vypyr would do the job

ahhh I see your point and it would be helpful if I lived anywhere near anyone selling decent stuff (I've been checking craigslist and similar sites for months but my area is somewhat... eh.. secluded. It took me two weeks to find a guitar store that actually sold guitars that werent off brand and set them up for you. There isnt much other than cheap starter pack guitars available on craigslist around here) But I will look into the Peavey. Thank you =)
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
definitely get the dot, ive found them to be versatile. For the amp, i would recommend a Behringer GM108. its $60 at guitarcenter, so its cheaper than both spiders and mgs. i absolutely love mine, and i even stuck with the brand for my second amp (GMX212). it is a modeling amp like a spider but it is analog instead of digital. the crunch and clean are both awesome, and it can be pretty loud if you want it to
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
What about the Roland Cube amps? Any good? better or worse than the Peavey for my needs? Better or worse than the GM108 and Fender Frontman? (sorry for all the questions)
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
What about the Roland Cube amps? Any good? better or worse than the Peavey for my needs? Better or worse than the GM108 and Fender Frontman? (sorry for all the questions)

i always thought the cubes sounded too digital at times, and never looked farther. some people swear by the vypyr (they have their own cult following) and it might be good for you based on what ive read, even though they seem to be geared towards the metal crowd. also with the gm108 and frontman (and maybe the vypyr), the cleans tend to be very quiet unless you turn the gain up (which kinda removes the whole point of cleans)
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
so basically, you're saying there's no winning.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Get the Tele and if you're worried about amp loudness get the Vox AC4TV, otherwise a Valvetronix will do fine.
Quote by JTBach
so basically, you're saying there's no winning.

There is winning!

Depends if you want a lot of versatility or not, though.

You can grab a little Vox DA5. Great amp for blues, 'specially with buckers. Singles can sound a bit thin on it due to the 6 inch speaker, but for what it is, it sounds big.

But since you're playing low/medium gain stuff, you can get away with with a single ended 5 watter. Like the Bugera V5 or the Crate V5/V8. I've played the crate, and it kills for 100 bucks. Look on Ebay, and you'll find a good deal on one.

Even better, grab a Crate V5/V8, and then grab yourself a Digitech Screamin Blues, an EHX Screamin Bird, or an EHX LPB-1 and you'll really be cookin.
I cant seem to find anyplace with the v5 in stock that is under $150 =(
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
I cant seem to find anyplace with the v5 in stock that is under $150 =(

Which is why we don't look new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-In-Box-Crate-V5-Class-A-Tube-Electric-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ200390018549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea82d05f5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
sorry for the double post, but is the Fender Champion 600 5w tube amp good? The place I'm going to has one for an ok price...

PS- not able to buy off ebay... dont ask. It would make this so freaking much easier!
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
sorry for the double post, but is the Fender Champion 600 5w tube amp good? The place I'm going to has one for an ok price...

It's alright. It has a really small speaker, and sounds like it. It's a better harmonica amp than guitar amp.
I never really expected amp shopping to be this difficult.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
I never really expected amp shopping to be this difficult.

Lol, it can be just as bad as shopping for a guitar.
I wish I could afford the tube amps but it just doesnt seem plausible. I really hate living in the middle of freaking nowhere (amish country basically). I may end up having to settle for the Roland.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by distortion896
definitely get the dot, ive found them to be versatile. For the amp, i would recommend a Behringer GM108. its $60 at guitarcenter, so its cheaper than both spiders and mgs. i absolutely love mine, and i even stuck with the brand for my second amp (GMX212). it is a modeling amp like a spider but it is analog instead of digital. the crunch and clean are both awesome, and it can be pretty loud if you want it to

ARE YOU HIGH????
Who cares how loud something is if it sounds like s***?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by JTBach
I wish I could afford the tube amps but it just doesnt seem plausible. I really hate living in the middle of freaking nowhere (amish country basically). I may end up having to settle for the Roland.

Hey, the cube's a good amp. It's not pro quality, but it'll get the job done.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I figure it'll do ok for college levels right? I dont really need to sound like hendrix. I can always get a tube in a few years when money isnt so tight.
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by imgooley
Lol, it can be just as bad as shopping for a guitar.

Or worse. Your amp affects your sound even more than your guitar does. Don't believe me? Run a Danelectro through a Mesa Dual Rec and say I'm wrong. Better yet, run a vintage Guyatone through and Orange OR30 (My friend has one). AMAZING tone! But I'm completely off topic...
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

I know you've been plenty warned about the Marshall MGs on this forum, but most people don't seem to realize that the MG has been vastly upgraded. The new MGs that are out now are actually very good amps. They aren't top of the line, but for someone getting their first electric, one of the new MGs would actually do very well.

The truth is that most of the posters on this forum refuse to believe that the new MGs are any better than the old ones, and I'm willing to bet that hardly anyone has tried one out.

Take it from me, I was one of the idiots that bought one of the original MGs (IT SAYS MARSHALL, IT MUST BE GREAT!). It was fine for my skill level, but it just didn't last. When the new MGs came out, I thought I'd give them a try, and they have been improved greatly.

ALL I'M SAYING is don't knock it till you've tried it. You might be surprised what it can do, even if it does say MG on it.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Or worse. Your amp affects your sound even more than your guitar does. Don't believe me? Run a Danelectro through a Mesa Dual Rec and say I'm wrong. Better yet, run a vintage Guyatone through and Orange OR30 (My friend has one). AMAZING tone! But I'm completely off topic...

I know you're not talking to me. BTW, I think you have the model on the Orange wrong. There's no such thing as an OR30. It could be a Rocker 30, an AD30, or an OR50.

BTW, I run my Harmony through my rig and it sounds good. I also run my harmony through my DA5 and it sounds good.

And I thing Dual Recs do not sound good.
I'd go for-

Peavey Vyper

if you can save up until $200-

Vox AC4TV8 for $200. Its a great tube amp, totally worth the extra money.

You could also consider a MG4 ,i guess, but i really wouldn't.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
For one hundred, you can go for the crazy small tube breed if you like. You may be ablr to find an Epi Valve Jr. and 1X12 Cab on eBizzle for around what you want to spend. If your tone searching, save up, it will be worth it. If you just need a jam spot, get a dinker from a pawn shop that has a headphone jack and save up for the Bogner (Or Marshall, or Peavey, or Soldano, or whatever you like really) while your in college.

That may be a better bet, as you dont run the risk of having your sweet tube amp walk out on you in the dorms.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by JTBach
ahhh I see your point and it would be helpful if I lived anywhere near anyone selling decent stuff (I've been checking craigslist and similar sites for months but my area is somewhat... eh.. secluded. It took me two weeks to find a guitar store that actually sold guitars that werent off brand and set them up for you. There isnt much other than cheap starter pack guitars available on craigslist around here) But I will look into the Peavey. Thank you =)

where exactly do you live? I live right out side of pittsburgh in the norrth hills and about 45 minutes there are 2 guitar centers, the one sucks pretty bad, the other is swell, guitar center, also, brighton music center, if you live closer to brighton pa theres that one, theres also one near mcnight road, and pianosn stuff has a great used selection and new their prices aren't too bad on most gear, I've been noticing some of their prices on marshall and orange new are above the normal retail price, but they make up for it with their used pricing
Quote by eberg2
where exactly do you live? I live right out side of pittsburgh in the norrth hills and about 45 minutes there are 2 guitar centers, the one sucks pretty bad, the other is swell, guitar center, also, brighton music center, if you live closer to brighton pa theres that one, theres also one near mcnight road, and pianosn stuff has a great used selection and new their prices aren't too bad on most gear, I've been noticing some of their prices on marshall and orange new are above the normal retail price, but they make up for it with their used pricing

haha north hills? thats alot closer than me. I live in Mercer. Small amish country town. I like the Nstuff music because they have all of the guitars in stock that I'm looking for and have been really great about keeping in touch with me about prices. Some of the prices on their site are more expensive than the ones in store. gc doesnt have strats that cheap last time I checked. I'm fine ordering my amp offline if I can find one for a decent price. Nice to meet a local though =)
Gear:
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Quote by JTBach
haha north hills? thats alot closer than me. I live in Mercer. Small amish country town. I like the Nstuff music because they have all of the guitars in stock that I'm looking for and have been really great about keeping in touch with me about prices. Some of the prices on their site are more expensive than the ones in store. gc doesnt have strats that cheap last time I checked. I'm fine ordering my amp offline if I can find one for a decent price. Nice to meet a local though =)

ya, I think I've been in mercer county once, just to get somewhere else umm... if youre fine ordering online, you have to try ebay, criagslist, musicians friend, zzsounds, all those places, or even some other places pianos n stuff site does them no justice, and you can find strats cheaper than gc, usually they come with a hundred dollar rebate to make them 400 rather than 500 dollars, including MF I think nstuff might just have them for 400 direct