What's the going rate for a mint '83 Tubescreamer? I was sent this email:

"Hey Bryan...

I have a Vintage EHX Big Muff (not the prettiest), but works perfect, and a dead mint 1983 Ibanez Tube Screamer I'd trade you for your strat, let me know...By the way, is it all original? What kind of shape?

Thanks,
Mick"

(Strat is referring to my '91 MIA HM Strat). I'm debating whether or not I should do it. Right now, I'm using a plastic tubescreamer, and a Russian Big Muff that I like (not the current reissue either).

Is it worth it? I'm not sure about the Muff, but I am interested in the TS. I don't want to respond until I know exactly what he's offering me.

Thanks!
-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Oct 5, 2009,
No
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Okay, now, to someone who isn't spamming: can I get some input?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Is it a TS9 or TS808? TS9s go for about $200-$250 and I just sold my TS808 for $500.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Is it a TS9 or TS808? TS9s go for about $200-$250 and I just sold my TS808 for $500.

+1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
He didn't specify. So, not really?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
i know crap about vintage prices, but if you really like the sound from the muff and screamer, go for it. but i also noticed that the strat is your only guitar, so you'd have to get a new one off of craigslist or whatever. which could stop you from playing for awhile until you get an axe
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
It's not my only one, it's my "main" one at the moment (it's the only one I could fit in my sig, and the other two are waiting to be modded).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by theacousticpunk
He didn't specify. So, not really?

Not unless it's a TS808. If it's a TS9, no way. Keep your Strat. If it's a TS808, ya'll are about even.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
He's got others. If its a TS808 do it! You will actually come out slightly better ($700 dollars of gear versus $500ish
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I don't know. $500 for a tubescreamer because it's 26 years old? If you're looking to turn around and resell it, maybe, but that can't be the best sounding overdrive for $500. If you want my opinion, vintage gear, especially a well-known pedal, is rarely worth anywhere close to what it sells for. For that kind of money, you could get just about any hand-built boutique overdrive and still have money left over. You're pretty much paying for collectors value, where with a new boutique pedal, you'd (hopefully) be paying for quality.
Quote by Stickymongoose
I don't know. $500 for a tubescreamer because it's 26 years old? If you're looking to turn around and resell it, maybe, but that can't be the best sounding overdrive for $500. If you want my opinion, vintage gear, especially a well-known pedal, is rarely worth anywhere close to what it sells for. For that kind of money, you could get just about any hand-built boutique overdrive and still have money left over. You're pretty much paying for collectors value, where with a new boutique pedal, you'd (hopefully) be paying for quality.

this.

i seriously doubt it will sound THAT MUCH better than your current tubescreamer
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Honestly, unless you're a collector, I would not do the trade. You can get a better sounding Tubescreamer for way less, even in the boutique market. Same goes for the Muff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
As stated a vintage pedal for most isnt worth the investment. Most of us wouldnt notice the supposed tone difference between a vintage TS and a modern one. If it was something no longer available be different. But considering you can get a new TS808, TS9, and TS9 turbo at any online place hardly seems like its gonna be worth that much. Also the email seems to say the TS9 is dead, which kills its value. Im gonna say pass.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Oct 6, 2009,