Brief explanation:
-John frusciante 'pioneered' this technique... in which you play a melody and the bass!

So, have any of you used this technique in any of your songs/jams? I've written a few songs in this style... and I find it to be very effective at making 'compelling' music! It's hard to explain... but playing the melody and bass yourself allows you to create lots of depth while staying relatively minimalistic. By recognizing the conflict between the bass notes and the melody you can create anything from tense, sad, angry, happy, trippy or funky music! Anything you can think of can be made! The great thing is the dimension that is found in the empty space between the bass and melody! It creates a very unique sound, you should try it if you already haven't!
I sense great sarcasm, but if you're being serious, you're a ****ing moron.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Pioneered? Really. Its pretty much a necessary for anyone playing real solo guitar. But in any instance yes. Its amazing when I'm bored and just diddling on the acoustic.
Quote by fngrstylgtr
Brief explanation:
-John frusciante 'pioneered' this technique... in which you play a melody and the bass!

So, have any of you used this technique in any of your songs/jams? I've written a few songs in this style... and I find it to be very effective at making 'compelling' music! It's hard to explain... but playing the melody and bass yourself allows you to create lots of depth while staying relatively minimalistic. By recognizing the conflict between the bass notes and the melody you can create anything from tense, sad, angry, happy, trippy or funky music! Anything you can think of can be made! The great thing is the dimension that is found in the empty space between the bass and melody! It creates a very unique sound, you should try it if you already haven't!

You do realise that Froosh nicked it from Hendrix, right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You do realise that Froosh nicked it from Hendrix, right?

And Hendrix from pretty much every blues player before him...Check out Robert Johnson or Son House- they pioneered it.
Quote by Smcash
And Hendrix from pretty much every blues player before him...Check out Robert Johnson or Son House- they pioneered it.

I was just pointing out that saying Frusciante "pioneered" the idea is ridiculous when even he has said in interviews that that's exactly where he got it from.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Wait, seriously, what?

Guys, the guitar has been played with independent bass and melody for hundreds of years. Before everyone plugged it in and taught themselves a few blues licks that was basically the way you were expected to do it.
I'm pretty sure that classical guitarists have been doing that since the modern guitar was invented.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.