I guess this could be considered off-topic, but I just heard the dumbest thing from my lead guitarist. He says tube amp distortion sucks, and that SS distortion is better, and that most metal guitarists only use tubes because they of the volume. Is that a stupid train of thought or am I the fool here for believing that tube distortion = awesome?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by BurningStarlV
Tube distortion = awesome

That's what I thought.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I prefer tube distortion, but there are some good sounding solid-state amps out there. It all comes down to preference really. If you can get a great distortion tone out of a solid state amp, then go for it!
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Lovecannon
He says tube amp distortion sucks, and that SS distortion is better

That's what we call biased opinion, he could prefer SS distortion but with that tone of voice he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Quote by Lovecannon
I guess this could be considered off-topic, but I just heard the dumbest thing from my lead guitarist. He says tube amp distortion sucks, and that SS distortion is better, and that most metal guitarists only use tubes because they of the volume. Is that a stupid train of thought or am I the fool here for believing that tube distortion = awesome?

Crushing overdrive, perhaps?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
It is an opinion. Some guitarist love Solid state sounds. I prefer Tube personally, but ive heard great solid states amps.
Tube distortion sounds much more natural, SS distortion always sounds very digital to my ears.
Quote by Lovecannon
metal guitarists

It depends on what music you play; I heard that some "br00talz" metal guitarists prefer SS because it's more harsh or something..

Personally I've played tube amps and loved them, but only owned Solid State amps and played at Bedroom levels. That being said, I never use the gain stage so I suppose it works out, for me.

Although I use players distortion (pedals) and pedals are usually Solid State, but I never complain, so it's all preference.
Yeah it's a matter of preference, Kirk Hammett used/uses solid state heads and Dimebag used SS amps for years. I prefer tube though.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
tube is better
and remember those above mentioned artists get stuff custom built and tweaked for them-- your basic stock ss is not as good as tube
Is he a Pantera fan?
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Quote by pwrmax
Marshall MG?

EDIT: You know Zack Wylde's a smart guy, http://www.marshallamps.com/artists/artist_quotes/artist_quotes.asp?quoteId=56

Ahaha, Zakk Wylde just went up a notch in my book

Still pretty low down there though...

But yeah, I wouldn't trust your br00talz metal guitar friend too much on these issues, if I were you...
Some are opinionated,some are un-educated.
Stalk your friend and find out which one he is.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
the best distortion ive ever heard from a non pro was at a friends band practice several years ago. a single pup charvel through a hughes and kettner tour reverb half stack. never heard such real and full sounding distortion from a local before or since.

id sure like to get my hands on a randall cyclone head too. but if i had more money, id go for a krankenstein+

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Solid state can be as good or better than tube. But generalizing all solid state amps and all tube amps is wrong. In this age, a solid-state amp can sound exactly like it has tubes in it. There isn't really anything that tubes do that a solid state can't. They even make solid-state tubes now. Solid state has more tonal flexibility so you can get Fender or JC-120 cleans and VHT or Bogner distortion which is not possible on a tube amp because of how they're constructed. But those are solid state amps that try to sound like tube amps. Regular solid state and tube amps usually have different characteristics though. Neither is better than the other, they're just different. The bad rap the solid state gets is due to the lack of high quality ones. People seem to think that the only solid state amps are cheap beginner amps.
Well the thing is, he also argues that most guitarists that use tube amps have to use a seperate distortion pedal to get a decent distortion. Which I dont think is the case if you have a high gain tube designed for metal, unless you are using an old school tube that needs boosted, and he also says that people on the internet and full of **** and don't know what they are talking about, I lol'd at that. And yes, he is a Pantera fan. But I'm just trying to prove him wrong, but he's not going to agree with me, so why bother.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
Well the thing is, he also argues that most guitarists that use tube amps have to use a seperate distortion pedal to get a decent distortion. Which I dont think is the case if you have a high gain tube designed for metal, unless you are using an old school tube that needs boosted, and he also says that people on the internet and full of **** and don't know what they are talking about, I lol'd at that. And yes, he is a Pantera fan. But I'm just trying to prove him wrong, but he's not going to agree with me, so why bother.

One thought to give him is to ask him why companies would manufacture the massive range and high price tube amps if solid state is better? Basic logic dictates companies that have been around for decades know their stuff better than him (unless he's an electrical/sound engineer who's been playing for decades...then maybe he has a leg to stand on...but I doubt it).

Maybe also find out what tube amps he's played. If he has played a high gain tube amp then he could just have a false impression based on what amps he has played.
eugh, it's this thread again.

Metal players mostly don't even use power section saturation

tube overdrive is better than solid state overdrive, but as far as distortion goes, there are lots of top quality SS and modeler amps that sound better than tube amps. As JELIFISH19 said, there just aren't many companies who make high quality, high budget solid state amps because of the typical bandwagoning against them.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Isn't it all opinion?
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
Isn't it all opinion?

Just saying that something sucks and something else is better isn't opinion, it's uneducated bias.