Well, this is my first post here, although I frequent these boards in my spare time to pick up pointers. Anyways, I feel like I have finally hit a snag in my playing. I play rhythm guitar, and play in a death core band (please no genre wars...). Anyways, I can't seem to improve anymore . What is it that separates a good rhythm player from an amazing player? Is it the ability to play in odd time signatures? Or is it all in the speed at which they can play? I attached a PTAB file of my daily warm-ups. Are there any changes or improvements that I can make to it to help me out?
Attachments:
Deathcore Warmup.ptb
Quote by xShepherdx

What is it that separates a good rhythm player from an amazing player?

Is it the ability to play in odd time signatures?

Or is it all in the speed at which they can play?

I'd say it's how creative you are, no matter how complex the music is if it just sounds like ****e than that's what it is. Diversity is always good mix things up do something original. Now, if you can make it highly technical and sound good then that's even better.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Unless you can pick semiquavers (16th notes) at 220bpm consistently for a decent amount of time, and have them all sounding even, I would say you could still do more work. Power chord changes are important, pinch harmonics take ages to get very consistent. Odd time signatures don't make someone a great player, it is a part of a writers style, but you can be an amazing player without ever leaving 4/4. Also speed isn't as important to being a great player... If you can play really tight at slower tempos, its way better then being able to play sloppy at faster tempos. You should maybe try adding some scales into your workouts, even though you may not use them, they are good for both left and right hand practice. Anyhow, you might get better ideas from someone who is more into deathcore. Hope this helps
Quote by Arycama
You should maybe try adding some scales into your workouts, even though you may not use them, they are good for both left and right hand practice. Anyhow, you might get better ideas from someone who is more into deathcore. Hope this helps

Well first I would like to thank both of you for your input. It seems like consistency, steadiness, and creativity are things I need to work on. However, how exactly would practicing scales help my rhythm playing, especially in a heavy genre where I only ever leave the top 5 frets for harmonies. I mean, I know a decent amount of theory, but I've never bothered memorizing scales, simply because I can not think of a practical use for them.

Also, is there anything I should add to my warm-up? After I run through that tab, I practice sweeping, tapping, and legato techniques. Then I improvise for a while and record it, so I can listen to it and use anything good. Then after that, I run through my band's songs. Does this seem like an effective way to improve my playing, or am I missing something drastic?
Try warming down too. After playing, do your warm up before you put the guitar away... just like in singing. I unno, it helps me...makes me feel more confident too!

Try playing some other genres and stuff to add some creativity in the mix. I play jazz, folk, blues, metal, power metal, rock, etc... even though I strictly write progressive music.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.