What would be a good cheap (100-150) attenuator for a tube amp? Would a passive volume attenuator like the EHX Signal Pad work?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
No, the signal pad is for the effects loop only. You'll blow it up and maybe damage your amp if you put it between the amp and speaker.

The only attenuator I know of at that price is a Weber minimass or maybe one of the smaller mass lite models.
Weber MASS are fantastic. I have a MiniMASS and it works great.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Would the signal pad lower the volume but still get the sound of a cranked tube, if used in the effect loop?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
^^^No not really. Its gonna be the same as turning down the volume knob on the amp. Theres not really a cheap alternative to an attenuator if you want power tube break up.
I have a Weber MiniMass 50 that I use with my Maz 38 and like Natrone said these units are fantastic.

I really wouldnt go the cheap route if you're looking for an attenuator. The Webers are cheap enough, but work great. The THD Hotplates on the other hand I dont think are worth their cost.

That EHX Signal Pad is not the answer either. It lowers the volume after the pre-amp (IF you run it through the fx loop, that is), which means that volume wont be reaching your power section and also wont make it to your speaker. So no, it wont give you an overdriven tube sound. Its really meant to be more of a volume pedal with 1 setting at a time.

Like I said, dont cheap out on an attenuator, but you dont have to spend $300 either. The Webers really are great (im speaking for the models with a speaker motor, not the transistor based models). Also, whatever attenuator you end up getting make sure its AT LEAST rated for the amount of watts your amp is rated at and better yet get one that can handle a little more than that. An amp's wattage rating is measured with its clean settings, not when its cranked so your amp will put out more watts than its official rating.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
As I mentioned in your other thread, an attenuator is a total waste of money with a 'metal' amp like your Bugera 333, since these amps mostly rely on preamp overdrive anyway.
Okay, thanks
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro