im looking for a good passive pickup to go in a mahogany bodied guitar that has a good metal sound. I dont need extremely high output, just something to do a pantera/metallica/trivium/bullet for my valtnine kinda tones.

recommendations?
the pickups in paul gilbert's fireman are probabaly the best metal singlecoils u can get. Dunno if you can get em separeatly or even how much they are, but i'm guessing ur looking for humbuckers, inwhich i have no idea. The pickups in the JEM7V possibly?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
trivium/bullet for my valtnine... what's wrong with you, seymour duncans are good pups
SD JB or duncan distortion. maybe the dimebucker if you ARE tuning down and AREN'T doing a lot of fast palm muting

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

3/4 of those bands u listed use the same EMG, why not use that? maybe EMG HZ? or else i say JB. i didnt like duncan distortion, it was very brittle and muddy.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by suzuki15
trivium/bullet for my valtnine... what's wrong with you, seymour duncans are good pups

What's wrong with you?

I suggest a Rockfield Mafia, I have one in my Aria. If you go to my profile, I have a link to my YouTube and you can see some covers of songs you'd like, and I'm using the Rockfield Mafia, so you can hear what it sounds like.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If you're still using the amp listed in your profile then get a new amp.

+1.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If you're still using the amp listed in your profile then get a new amp.

got 3grand to lend? lol
wait so you have money to mod your guitar instead of saving to get a decent amp?
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by shredder408
got 3grand to lend? lol

Mmm no but considering the amount of difference you'll spend on buying new passive pickups compared to spending on an entirely new amp I'd know where I'd rather put all my cash towards.
With your current amp, changing pickups isn't going to do all that much. Certainly, high output pickups will just make your tone worse (in fact low output pickups will mesh with an amp like that much better, regardless of what style of music you play) and tonally unless you go for a very extreme change from what you have now you're unlikely to even hear a difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dimarzio d-sonic or crunchlab
or
seymour duncan jb

but get a better amp first
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
basicaly its either - get $1500 for new amp and pups later
spend $300 on new pups now, spend $1200+ on new amp later

inevitably im getting new pup/s and a new amp. It just depends on when i actualy have the money
Only passive Humbucker's I have is my Dimebucker, and a JB-59 in the neck. They sound great downtuned (I play Drop Db), with my mesa, or JCM800. Beware though the Dimebucker is so sensitive that if you have any flaws in your playing it will show and sound like Poopie.

Beware there are people on this site that hate anything that has dimes name on it regardless of its quality but IMHO the Dimebucker, Crybaby from hell, Razorback V are all great dime Items.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Oct 6, 2009,
DiMarzio Super Distortion are supposed to be great in Mahogany guitars, never tried them in Mahogany, but id give em a try.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Irongear Steamhammer. That way you get great pups and only spend 1/4 what you expect so you'll be able for a better amp sooner.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have a Ibanez sz 320 mh, with duncan designd pickups.
And they have loads of output and gain.
They are really nice =D.