I was just watching a few music videos on YouTube and remembered a question I had thought of years ago but completely forgotten about until now.

When bands use rain effects in their music videos, how the heck do they pull this off without damaging their equipment? Since they're essentially "miming" along to the recorded version anyway, are the amps fake or something? Wait, that doesn't explain their actual instruments, though. Surely they don't just Glad Wrap everything, and video editing technology isn't grand enough to simulate all of the water effects yet (for example, the wet hair and clothes, not just the actual rain drops).

Whatever is happening here?
maby fake instruments? thats my best guess. or their just uber ritch and dont like their current guitars / have replacement ones. or their usuing cheep guitars lol thats all i can think of
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
^ This answer is probably right. I've never really thought of how they do that before though
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Do you know the budget needed to make a music video ? The instruments and amps are least they need to worry about. Plus a guitar and a drum set generally doesn't get damaged by water, at least not in the short run.
Yikes, I still wouldn't want to expose my instrument to that level of moisture, even for the sake of "visual art"! It doesn't seem worth the effort, really, considering there are much better videos out there that don't rely on such expensive effects. I would imagine that most people wouldn't appreciate the massive amount of effort and money that goes into creating such a production, anyway.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies, though!
Quote by MikeDee
Do you know the budget needed to make a music video ? The instruments and amps are least they need to worry about. Plus a guitar and a drum set generally doesn't get damaged by water, at least not in the short run.

That's actually very wrong. Both drums and guitars are made out of wood, which warps out of shape with moisture.
True but if the wood is sealed, I couldn't see it doing much harm especially if the exposure time was short. The electronics and tuners probably wouldn't like it much though. I agree with who ever said that they probably just use real instrument they don't care about. Chances are if you have the budget to shoot that type of video you likely can afford to waste a few instruments. Seems a shame to **** up such nice equipment though.