i'm starting a small black metal project and i dont know if any of my guitars would be good for it. i have a yamaha strat copy and a bc rich beast my friend gave me. not too expensive, like no more than $250
Anything will do Black metal was never really about tone or quality anything with strings and a amp will do.
whatever guitar you think you will enjoy playing best will do
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i'm pretty sure there is no set guitar for different genres like people keep asking, active/passive/single coil is really the only difference in sound (other than wood) the rest is preference... imo...

the guitar you play doesnt define how you play it...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Flying V's are kvlt right?
For black metal I usually use to BC Rich Deluxe Flying V with EMG 81/85's
Basically, you want a dependable guitar which looks cool and sounds great under really high distortion and high treble and mids without bass
Quote by helvete_og_død
i ve heard against playing a bc rich because of looking like a poser

Well then you're an idiot. Thinking about what other people think about you is not part of the black metal mentality
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Last edited by Guitar_Kingdom at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
Flying V's are kvlt right?
For black metal I usually use to BC Rich Deluxe Flying V with EMG 81/85's
Basically, you want a dependable guitar which looks cool and sounds great under really high distortion and high treble and mids without bass

Well then you're an idiot. Thinking about what other people think about you is not part of the black metal mentality

well not that i really believe it(would you call chuck schuldiner a poser?)
Quote by SPBY
i'm pretty sure there is no set guitar for different genres like people keep asking, active/passive/single coil is really the only difference in sound (other than wood) the rest is preference... imo...

the guitar you play doesnt define how you play it...

+1

don't buy a brand of guitar buy a guitar!
Strat>Interstellar Overdriver>Little Big Muff>Supersonic Fuzz Gun>Crybaby Classic>Crybaby>VP Jr. (TU-2 tuner out)>Electric Mistress XO>RV-3>E-1005 w/ Footswitch>DD-6 (stereo out)>DL-4 w/ Expression Pedal>Stereo Tremolo>Headrush>Fender Deluxe 85(2x)
Quote by helvete_og_død
then what effects (if any)

I would get a Digitech or Boss metal distortion pedal. That's really all that you need; crank the gain up all the way, put the treble between 7-9, the mids between 5-7 and the bass between 1-3

That's it.
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Ugh, black metal has progressed so much from the earlier days of extremely high gain, where you can only pick out maybe one or two notes from a wall of sound. Just use whatever sounds good, I always figured black metal was more about the feel and vocals anyways.
^Yeah, the overall atmosphere is the most important element in the art form of black metal
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
This is the PoS I use for acoustic, clean, and distorted playing.

Hilarious guitar! Imagine Abbath posing with this thing. lol-worthy, no?
Philosophy > Life
^Everything Abbath does is lol-worthy, some of his photos are hillarious
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!