Poll: Which films will win some Oscars?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which films will win some Oscars?
13 16%
Up
28 34%
Inglourious Basterds
57 70%
District 9
44 54%
Star Trek
19 23%
Zombieland
15 18%
500 Days of Summer
12 15%
The Hangover
25 30%
A Serious Man
9 11%
Who is Oscar??
19 23%
Voters: 82.
I deleted the old thread because the poll wasn't multi-choice...

anyway

So far it's been a pretty awesome year movie-wise, but which of these films do you think will round up the Oscars?

Up
Inglourious Basterds
District 9
Star Trek
Zombieland
500 Days of Summer
The Hangover
A Serious Man

These are the top films so far of 2009 according to IMDB, and I put Avatar in the poll because... well quite frankly I wouldn't be suprised if it does the same thing the third Lord of the Rings film did in terms of Oscars.

I also added A Serious Man to the list because it looks like it will be very good, given the director's previous film record.

Discuss! Poll coming
*copies response from deleted thread*

I dont see what all the fuss is about regarding District 9. It was pretty average imo. Interesting way of doing a movie, but wasnt all that great in the end

EDIT:

Should have made the poll multi choice.

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
The Godfather Part 2

I don't think it will win this year.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Oct 6, 2009,
Up!, Inglorious Basterds and District 9.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Only seen Inglourious Basterds and that was a cracking film. The ending is one of the best i have seen for a while.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by Kensai
Up!, Inglorious Basterds and District 9.

Serious answers please.
The Lovley Bones
Peter Jackson + Best Selling Novel = Awards
<Enter Witty Signature Here>
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Serious answers please.

Why so serious?

HEAATH i MISS U!!!!!(?) <3 xxx
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Why so serious?

HEAATH i MISS U!!!!!(?) <3 xxx

He's ded, phone.
Basterds will get something hangover doesn't deserve a place, the trailer for it might lol
Oh dear. You haven't really been keeping track of the race have you? IMDb scores and popularity doesn't equal Oscars.

Out of those movies, none are really looking at Best Picture, except for the possibility of Up since the upgrade to 10 might open the door to animated films. A Serious Man has great buzz but it's on the outside at the moment as the content might be a bit out there for the Academy. It's looking more at screenplay and acting noms at the moment, but things could change with the precursors. 500 days of summer could also be in for screenplay. Same for Inglorious Basterds, but Christopher Waltz is in the running for supporting actor also.

Avatar hasn't come out yet and it could go either way, a great popcorn flick that will pick up a bunch of techs or it have a "prestige" factor that the Academy wants and it could end up going all the way. Or...it could fail to live up to the hype. Which won't be good.

The rest of the movies you mentioned aren't noteworthy Oscar wise, except for maybe Star Trek or District 9 for techs.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I don't see how District 9 is oscar worthy. The guy who played Lander in Inglourious Basterds should get an award. He was brilliant.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I'm definitely going to have to say its all going to 17 Again.

EDIT: The "We Have A Bingo" dude from Inglourious Basterds is definitely best actor (or best supporting actor if that what he's eligible for).
Last edited by Deep Song at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Deep Song
I'm definitely going to have to say its all going to 17 Again.

EDIT: The "We Have A Bingo" dude from Inglourious Basterds is definitely best actor (or best supporting actor if that what he's eligible for).

IIRC, you mean the Jew hunting Nazi officer? Cristoph Waltz be his name, and he won the Best Actor award in Cannes.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
IIRC, you mean the Jew hunting Nazi officer? Cristoph Waltz be his name, and he won the Best Actor award in Cannes.

Yes! Him! I was so amazed with him, holy dam. Best villainous character in along time. In fact, who was ever better?
Quote by myself101
Oh dear. You haven't really been keeping track of the race have you? IMDb scores and popularity doesn't equal Oscars.

I know, I simply chose the most popular 2009 films according to IMDB. Lets be honest, generally a film lots of people like and rate highly on IMDB is more likely to win Oscars than one that isnt.

Although that said, the top rated film on IMDB, Shawshank Redemption, didn't win a single Oscar...
You really have no idea how the Oscars work do you? Up is the only possibility there. Maybe Star Trek for effects or tech, but that's the best it can hope for.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by myself101

Out of those movies, none are really looking at Best Picture, except for the possibility of Up since the upgrade to 10 might open the door to animated films. A Serious Man has great buzz but it's on the outside at the moment as the content might be a bit out there for the Academy. It's looking more at screenplay and acting noms at the moment, but things could change with the precursors. 500 days of summer could also be in for screenplay. Same for Inglorious Basterds, but Christopher Waltz is in the running for supporting actor also.

Avatar hasn't come out yet and it could go either way, a great popcorn flick that will pick up a bunch of techs or it have a "prestige" factor that the Academy wants and it could end up going all the way. Or...it could fail to live up to the hype. Which won't be good.

The rest of the movies you mentioned aren't noteworthy Oscar wise, except for maybe Star Trek or District 9 for techs.
Whether you liked it or not, District 9 had a lot of emotion in it. The people who did like it got so sucked into it that they overlooked any plotholes and started loving the characters. It was a very popular film and an outstandingly made one for a first time directer dealing with first-time actors. I think it deserves some awards this year.
Quote by bendystraw
Whether you liked it or not, District 9 had a lot of emotion in it. The people who did like it got so sucked into it that they overlooked any plotholes and started loving the characters. It was a very popular film and an outstandingly made one for a first time directer dealing with first-time actors. I think it deserves some awards this year.

Plus the CGI was incredible. However it looks like Avatar will win in that department.

Quote by TheIceCreamMan
You really have no idea how the Oscars work do you? Up is the only possibility there. Maybe Star Trek for effects or tech, but that's the best it can hope for.

I know what the different categories are, and I know that the film the Academy deems best in each category wins the award. Therefore, we can speculate as to which WE think are best in each category, and say which we think deserves to win the award.
Quote by bendystraw

Yeah, but it's Sci Fi. Remember, we're talking about the Oscars here.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I don't think it will win this year.

Ah well, there's always next year I guess.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Random3
*COUGH* Star Wars *COUGH* Terminator 2 *COUGH* Matrix *COUGH*

god damn

(Invalid img)

And I liked District 9

MC name = Bearrorism
Last edited by Gargantuan at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Random3
*COUGH* Star Wars *COUGH* Terminator 2 *COUGH* Matrix *COUGH*

Star Wars, The Matrix and Terminator 2 aren't even a handful of films in the science fiction genre. Sciene Fiction does get overlooked. That doesn't mean that science fiction has never won anything, it's just that it rarely happens.
Quote by bendystraw

Hey man, I'm not the Academy

District 9 just isn't "prestige" enough, and the all the hype around it has died down now. It just doesn't look to be a big awards contender as of now, but maybe it might start to win a few critics awards down the line. It might even have a shot at a screenplay nomination.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Last edited by myself101 at Oct 6, 2009,
None of them will win anything because they're not pretentious pieces of artistic tripe.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by myself101
Hey man, I'm not the Academy

District 9 just isn't "prestige" enough, and the all the hype around it has died down now. It just doesn't look to be a big awards contender as of now, but maybe it might start to win a few critics awards down the line. It might even have a shot at a screenplay nomination.

I bet you District 9 wins something.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
The only major films i have seen this year are Transformers 2, Star Trek and The hangover, i did see Friday 13th but it wasn't exactly groundbreaking. Out of those i just mentioned, Transformers was just ok, it could have been better if the human sub plot wasn't so diabolical, and if they eased up a little with the slow motion, Star Trek was ok but it felt like something was missing, i'm not a fan of the series but the acceleration of action or suspense seemed too abrupt.

So that leaves The Hangover, which i loved, it is probably one of the best films i have seen so far this year, it got alot of hype, and most of it was from people i knew who didn't have the greatest sense of humour, so i was expecting dissapointment, but it exceeded my preconceptions, that being said, i doubt it will win anything, its not really anything new, its just a fairly classic formula done really well.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Oct 6, 2009,