A question directed at people living in Europe, preferrably those who are financially independent:

What is your view on genetically modified food products?

In general, the internet seems to say that Europe is more opposed to it than many other parts of the world, but I'm trying to discern who exactly this refers to - ie scientists, government officials, the people etc
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
They're fruity and delicious.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
They're both good and bad. Good because they can modify stuff to grow efficiently and people get to eat. Bad because those modifiied plants might disturb the eco-system severely.

Overall good, I think. They're not gonna give you cancer and make your grandma mutate, which some people seem to believe...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
They're both good and bad. Good because they can modify stuff to grow efficiently and people get to eat. Bad because those modifiied plants might disturb the eco-system severely.

Overall good, I think. They're not gonna give you cancer and make your grandma mutate, which some people seem to believe...

Damn I just gave my grandma some fruit in hope of that to happen.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Kensai

thanks for the reply. at least someone is taking this seriously

anyone else? one person is hardly anything base a conclusion on..
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
I think its cool if theres no side effects of eating or anything.

More food for everyone.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I dunno man, on the one hand i guess it's not exactly natural but it does have its benefits, and it could certainly be used for some good. Personally i wouldn't eat a genetically modified piece of food.
Quote by Bob_Smith
thanks for the reply. at least someone is taking this seriously

anyone else? one person is hardly anything base a conclusion on..

It's what I do around here

Quote by Mack888
I dunno man, on the one hand i guess it's not exactly natural but it does have its benefits, and it could certainly be used for some good. Personally i wouldn't eat a genetically modified piece of food.

u alreaddy did ಠ_ಠ
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm going to have to go with Kensai on this one. It's overall good, but like any artificial system placed in nature, it has to be done in moderation. If we overdo it or for example switch out all farms on earth with artificial food factories (extreme example, I know, I hope you get my point), we're pretty much ruining our world.

It's like nuclear power, we just have more leeway with this one. A lot more, even.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

ok, seems like theres a vague trend starting to pan out here, but id still like to hear more people's opinions
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Nelsean
I think its cool if theres no side effects of eating or anything.

More food for everyone.

personally, do you think that there are any side-effects?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
personally, do you think that there are any side-effects?

If there are, i'm not noticing it. There's so much food out there that we accept into eating anyway. We never question if our food is natural or artificial.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
If there are, i'm not noticing it. There's so much food out there that we accept into eating anyway. We never question if our food is natural or artificial.

aha, i failed to notice you live in the US.

as far as i know, there are laws in europe that required gm products to be clearly labelled because of the european opposition (at least within the people in power) to it

in the us, however, gm crops are basically everywhere - just about 75%, i think the statistic is, of all food on your shelves contains a gm product somewhere
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Well apparently 1 billion people are starving (according to some 40hr famine lady who came to our school) It would be helpful if some of this food got to them. Personally I dont mind as long as I'm paying the same price or cheaper
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Ive always seen it as not a problem really. Theres a lot of fuss and big kicks about it, i just think people are over reacting simply because they can. These are Genetically 'modified' foods... modified being the important word here... not genetically artificial. Its not like were adding plastic plants to a farm here, genetically its still a plant, with just a few things modified, were not exactly turning lead to gold. In the same way, (heres an extreme example) if you genetically modifiy a cat to have 5 legs instead of 4, its still a cat, that much has'nt changed, it just has 5 legs. In essence all we're doing is speeding up selective breeding by removing the gap of the time in between our current and desired result. Mankind has done this for many many years through plant breeding, If you search Wikipedia for plant breeding you can find out more. To be honest, i don't really see a problem with GM foods, as long as it provides the same or better amount of nutrition and yields a better crop why not have them? I personally feel they're a great thing.

I think the reason people feel opposed to GM foods is because they dont actually understand what GM foods are, or how they affect things, how they're made and just exactly what they do. If there was more awareness surrounding GM foods i think it would be quite different.
Last edited by Getpsycho at Oct 6, 2009,
its great you guys are responding, but i would still like to hear from more people living in europe because what im trying to discern really concerns you guys, not anyone else
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
I don't think it's a big deal. people were so obsessed with organic products recently but now it's come out that there's not really any appreciable difference between organic products and the 'normal' products. I think it's like that. people were so obsessed with the label without actually knowing what (if any) difference it made.

the label itself can be pretty ominous. genetically modified implies we changed the item on a fundamental level. what people fail to realise is that we've been doing the same for hundreds of years just by a different method. We've been selectively growing crops (and breeding animals, but that's something else completely) in order to manipulate the end result. This is the same but a lot quicker and more efficient.

as long as they are held to the same food standards as non GM food I don't see the problem.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Mother fucking gene-modified monster grapes are awesome! In any case, I agree with what Kensai said. Moderation and control is probably the primary issue.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I don't think it's a big deal. people were so obsessed with organic products recently but now it's come out that there's not really any appreciable difference between organic products and the 'normal' products. I think it's like that. people were so obsessed with the label without actually knowing what (if any) difference it made.

the label itself can be pretty ominous. genetically modified implies we changed the item on a fundamental level. what people fail to realise is that we've been doing the same for hundreds of years just by a different method. We've been selectively growing crops (and breeding animals, but that's something else completely) in order to manipulate the end result. This is the same but a lot quicker and more efficient.

as long as they are held to the same food standards as non GM food I don't see the problem.

ok.. id just like the clear something up - your definition of genetically modified isnt strictly correct. what happens with gm in labs today is that scientists often take sequences of dna from OTHER organisms and implant them into, say, crops. one of the main examples of this is with Bt crops. Bt stands for Bacillus thuringiensis, a type of bacterium. it produces a natural insecticide, so scientists have isolated the sequence of dna in the bacteria that is resposible for the production of the toxin, and implanted it in various crops.
so it is, in fact, very far from what humans have been doing in the past.

now, knowing this, does it change your opinion?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Oct 6, 2009,
I think it's a good idea, as you could (theoretically) modify fruit and veg to not use as much water in photosynthesis, make higher yields with more nutritional value, or even alter the flavour.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
My opnion was pretty much the same as lemon's and even if it's from another organism it still doesnt change my view. Using my extreme example if you genetically modified a cat to have the leg of a dog or something silly like that and it worked... its still a cat, its just a cat with an extra leg that happens to be a leg that youd find typically on a dog. The crop is still that crop, it just has something a little extra to help it survive (obviously giving a cat a 5th leg doesnt help it survive lol)

Again, as long as it provides the same or better amount of nutrition and yields the same or a better crop, i don't see a problem with GM foods.

(I did notice you'd put the thing about Europe beneath my post... Im from London, UK btw =) )
Quote by Bob_Smith
ok.. id just like the clear something up - your definition of genetically modified isnt strictly correct. what happens with gm in labs today is that scientists often take sequences of dna from OTHER organisms and implant them into, say, crops. one of the main examples of this is with Bt crops. Bt stands for Bacillus thuringiensis, a type of bacterium. it produces a natural insecticide, so scientists have isolated the sequence of dna in the bacteria that is resposible for the production of the toxin, and implanted it in various crops.
so it is, in fact, very far from what humans have been doing in the past.

now, knowing this, does it change your opinion?

no.

over time we've drastically changed many things. the domestication of dogs and cats are one obvious example. compare a chihuahua with a wolf. compare a sphynx with a mountain lion.

so we've spliced things from another plant into a crop, big deal. as far as I'm concerned it's not too different from what we've done in the past. I'd liken it to selective cross breeding, just a bit more extreme.

Again as long as it's held to the same standards as non GM foods I don't have a problem with it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Kensai

+1, except for the last part. I think overall they're a bad thing, because it's not the same as Natural F&Vs. Also, in the U.S.A. they eat genetically modified meat, and look at them!
And BTW, do I count as a European? Because technically, I'm Asian, but in sports, especially football, we're considered European...
Last edited by jimmyled at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by jimmyled
+1, except for the last part. I think overall they're a bad thing, because it's not the same as Natural F&Vs. Also, in the U.S.A. they eat genetically modified meat, and look at them!
And BTW, do I count as a European? Because technically, I'm Asian, but in sports, especially football, we're considered European...

i dont really mind where youre from, its just that i wanted responses from europeans because of the laws in europe stating that gm products have to be clearly labelled, and that most of the opposition to gm comes from europe
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
i dont really mind where youre from, its just that i wanted responses from europeans

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

read the quoted post and my OP

edit: ah right i getcha now...

ok. i dont care where youre from. just post as you see fit
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Oct 6, 2009,
Modded apples are delicious. Oh and the un modified ones are produced en masse in spain, which is a eco disaster.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Yep. They're vital. The Earth can't support everyone without them realistically.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington