Hello UGers of the night.

You guys think you could help out a friend of mine for her art major?
She wants the question "What is Art" answered. Every month she's gonna choose an answer and develop it into an artwork.

www.whutisart.blogspot.com

And hey, why not mention UG FTW and i'll ask her to mention you guys

Thanks
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Quote by ozy!d!ot
"What is Art?"

Rembrandt don't hurt me...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Oct 6, 2009,
Art is consonance

Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Art is resistance.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Art is art. Now what, bitch?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by shreder666
Art = A retarted tranny...

I fail

Art is a state of mind

retarted, eh?

You do indeed fail.

Anyways, art is human. It's inherent in everything that makes us human- culture, society, expression, language. It separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
retarted, eh?

You do indeed fail.

Anyways, art is human. It's inherent in everything that makes us human- culture, society, expression, language. It separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Hmmm.
Consider bower birds.

From wiki
"The males build a bower to attract mates. There at two main types of bowers. One clade of bowerbirds build so-called maypole bowers that are constructed by placing sticks around a sapling, in some species these bowers have a hut-like roof. The other major bowerbuilding clade builds an avenue type bower made of two walls of vertically placed sticks. In and around the bower the male places a variety of brightly colored objects he has collected. These objects — usually different among each species — may include hundreds of shells, leaves, flowers, feathers, stones, berries, and even discarded plastic items, coins, nails, rifle shells, or pieces of glass. The males spend hours arranging this collection."

That, to me, would seem to be almost the very definition of art.

Also, by 'human' does that mean purely Homo sapiens? Because although they are extremely rare, thare have been archeogical finds that are thought to reprisent Neanderthal art, such as the Roche-Cotard mask for instance.
art has no function or purpose

yes i saw it on top gear and dam that alfa was the sex
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Hmmm.
Consider bower birds.

From wiki
"The males build a bower to attract mates. There at two main types of bowers. One clade of bowerbirds build so-called maypole bowers that are constructed by placing sticks around a sapling, in some species these bowers have a hut-like roof. The other major bowerbuilding clade builds an avenue type bower made of two walls of vertically placed sticks. In and around the bower the male places a variety of brightly colored objects he has collected. These objects — usually different among each species — may include hundreds of shells, leaves, flowers, feathers, stones, berries, and even discarded plastic items, coins, nails, rifle shells, or pieces of glass. The males spend hours arranging this collection."

That, to me, would seem to be almost the very definition of art.

Also, by 'human' does that mean purely Homo sapiens? Because although they are extremely rare, thare have been archeogical finds that are thought to reprisent Neanderthal art, such as the Roche-Cotard mask for instance.

I mean human as in the concept of humanity, sentience and sapience, if you get me.

Bower birds creates those out of instinct. The first sentence says they do it to attract mates- that's not art, that's courtship, it's an intrinsic behaviour designed to pass on the "best" seed. We choose to create art to represent something or ourselves. Sometimes our art is used to woo people, but again, it's through choice.

Then again, maybe art is two things- a concept and a thing. You can look at something and call it a piece of art, but the concept of art is different from that.
Quote by ryand111
art has no function or purpose

yes i saw it on top gear and dam that alfa was the sex

Who said that...? Whoever it was need to put more consideration into what they're saying.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I mean human as in the concept of humanity, sentience and sapience, if you get me.

Bower birds creates those out of instinct. The first sentence says they do it to attract mates- that's not art, that's courtship, it's an intrinsic behaviour designed to pass on the "best" seed. We choose to create art to represent something or ourselves. Sometimes our art is used to woo people, but again, it's through choice.

Then again, maybe art is two things- a concept and a thing. You can look at something and call it a piece of art, but the concept of art is different from that.

Art could be instinctual in origin in humans too though, after all, it is often thought that an artistic way of thinking was the main behavioral difference between us and Neanderthals.
Quote by Kensai
Who said that...? Whoever it was need to put more consideration into what they're saying.

clarkson
but he got it from some art guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ8xDia5RNY

Edit: 5.35
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Last edited by ryand111 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Kensai

I would say that art doesn't need to exist, but I'm glad that it does. Maybe. There are more direct ways to express views, and art could be defined as choosing the one that pleases you the most, as opposed to that which is most easily understandable.
art is an expression of feelings and emotions
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Art is whatever you call art.

Quote by bass-man9712
art is an expression of feelings and emotions

No, sorry. There are many, many artistic movements whose philosophies have had nothing to do with feeling or emotion. Have you ever taken an art history class?
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Sunshine86 at Oct 6, 2009,
I've always felt that art is equal parts intention and perception. If it is created to be art, then it is. If someone sees it as art, then it is.