no, you're not. It would not make sense to buy something you don't know what it is!

SG Special: Gloss finish, no binding, dot inlays, silkscreen logo on headstock, no crown uncovered 490's.

SG Standard: Gloss finish, binding, block inlays, inlaid logo on headstock with crown, chrome covered 490R (neck) and 498T (bridge).
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
so by the info standard kicks ass,
and i want to buy a gibson SG because i have the money and it will be my first guitar after 2years playing a ****ty squier.
There really isn't much difference in the two except for the look of the guitar. Truthfully your better off buying a faded SG they come with the same pups and has an ebony fret board. You can buy one at GC for $699 with a gig bag included. You pay almost 1000 bucks extra money for a gloss finish and some different trim work and inlays. I have tried many faded Gibbys and there really is no difference compared to the higher end versions. I walked out of GC last year with a brand new Faded Explorer w/HSC for $500.00. IMO it sounded and played better than several others including a GOTW Explorer I had tried that night.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/johnro6659/pictures/gear/490727/

John

PS: You can use the money you save on buying the Faded SG and upgrading to a decent amp!
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 6, 2009,
If you're buying it purely because it's a Gibson, that's pretty lame. To be honest I'd find it hard to recommend a Gibbo to anyone at the moment, they're massively overpriced and the quality is crap.

If you insist on Gibson, buy an older secondhand Standard (or maybe even a Custom). However, I'd rather have a Tokai, Hagstrom, Fernandes, Heritage or Orville over a modern Gibson.
tokai is ****
and btw im in Melbourne, australia so i dont think you guys have much knowledge about the stores here and what we have and dont have.
Quote by Bloodavian
tokai is ****
and btw im in Melbourne, australia so i dont think you guys have much knowledge about the stores here and what we have and dont have.

get the standard. it's less than twice as expensive, but it's more than twice as good to play
It's all about feel
Quote by Bloodavian
tokai is ****

You know nothing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You know nothing

Agreed.

TS - If you insist on getting a Gibson SG, just get whichever one in the store feels better and more worth the money.

However, I'd reccomend looking into second hand stuff and as suggested, Tokai or Orville (as examples) represent much better value for money and better quality.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Bloodavian
tokai is ****

There are many Australians on ug and who are happy to assist.

But it doesnt take an australian to tell you weather a gibson SG is good or not...

Allans music in bourke street were selling gibson sg specials for 1500 not that long back btw...

Manny's music in fitzroy (St George's road) are having a massive sale atm too. Up to 50% off on guitars. You might be able to get something cheap. They sell second hand stuff too.

Also consider that a gibson sg standard is the standard... It is effectively a real SG so to speak. All thought if i was to buy an SG i would either buy the special and swap the pickups and mod or the 61 reissue which cost alittle bit more. ($2800 AU if i remember correctly)
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.