Well, because my laptop has little to no power for anything, like games, or recording (takes a lot of processing power for the better programs and devices,) I've decided to save up a bit and get my technically adept friend to piece together a custom computer for me.

I want this computer to be mainly for recording, so what kind of specs would you recommend? Or, if possible, what are some add-on pieces I could get to make the whole recording process easier?
Are you married to buying a PC? Because Mac's are great for recording purposes. I dont wanna start a huge Mac v. PC thing here, (cause Mac will win anyways) but its nice to be able to turn on my computer and not have to worry about anything going wrong. In five years of owning Mac's I have never had to restart my computer because of something crashing. NOT ONCE! Anyways, if you have the cash the new Mac Pro's are amazing, but my iMac does the job just fine running Apple Logic.
-Ibanez js1200
-Epiphone Les Paul w/ Invader in bridge
-Alvarez acoustic
-Orange Thunderverb 50w w/ 1x12 cab
-Vox Satchurator
-Ibanez ts-9
-Pod x3
-Apple Logic Studio

www.purevolume.com/stoplooklisten
Please don't listen to Lespaul90. Building a PC from scratch can be amazing cheap. Also, there is a wide variety of parts available for future upgrades. You should make sure to choose a soundcard that meets your requirements. Do some research, and once that is done, build the PC around that. Depending on your budget you should consider investing in some of the new Intel CPUs.
Whats the go now?

Quad Core CPU or and i7 Intel (I've heard they are really good)
4gb Ram
Mulitple HDD
Whats a good MoBo?
Plenty of USB ports
Firewire

+

Audio Interface
Monitors
DAW
etc etc

I'm getting ideas together as I'm getting a custom PC in the next few months.
well try to get as much rams as you can fit in
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
get any mobo recommended for the processor and as high a DDR channel as possible.
Get ram to match that DDR.
Don't worry too much about graphics unless you want to game.
Get a dedicated soundcard.

Don't take notice of the mac thing. I could build 4 pcs in the price range of 1 mac.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot

Don't worry too much about graphics unless you want to game.

I would advise getting at least a mediocre graphics card,
if you rely on the mobos onboard graphics your CPU and RAM will take a performance hit.

at least with a cheap dedicated Graphics card, the visual processing won't interfere with your DAW
Quote by TheDriller
I would advise getting at least a mediocre graphics card,
if you rely on the mobos onboard graphics your CPU and RAM will take a performance hit.

at least with a cheap dedicated Graphics card, the visual processing won't interfere with your DAW

Yeah that's what I meant.
Should be an easy build.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by SoA_Joseph
Well, because my laptop has little to no power for anything, like games, or recording (takes a lot of processing power for the better programs and devices,) I've decided to save up a bit and get my technically adept friend to piece together a custom computer for me.

I want this computer to be mainly for recording, so what kind of specs would you recommend? Or, if possible, what are some add-on pieces I could get to make the whole recording process easier?

im not sure about brands and the like but get a
quadcore 2ghz CPU

as much ram as you can get (4 gigs should cover jsut about anythign most will need, but still get as much as you can)

you can get a built in soundcard thats really good, or you could get like an audio interface thats external. internal will most likely be faster, but external will be easier.

basic graphics card (unless you game)

Multiple hard drives (have one with at least 500 gigs for audio production, maybe 250 gigs for jsut your regular stuff)

and thats all i can really think of.
on top of everyone else's specs... look for an ultra quiet fan (unless you plan to keep the tower in a separate room from where you'll be placing the microphones... pain in the ass to dub out that hum...
water cooling get it installed
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
water cooling get it installed

not worth it.

A couple 120mm fans in the case will do fine, as long as you dont get the absolute cheapest fans they should be quiet enough. My PC only has 1 fan, and so it runs at high speed which is very audible, and the mics do not pick it up.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's