okay, regardless of whether you like this band or not, can someone PLEASE tell me how to make some of the sounds they do in Iwrestledabearonce?

there are parts where it sounds like theyre tapping, but theres a scrape pick texture to the tone.
and their dissonant spastic melodies sound almost like theyre using a tremolo bar, is this the case?

ive been really getting into avant-garde type grindcore lately (PsyOpus, See You Next Tuesday etc.), and the sounds these guys get out of their guitars blow my mind. i just wanna know if anyone knows any of these bizarre techniques?
More specific examples pl0x.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ehh, its hard for me to describe. check out their songs "Tastes Like Kevin Bacon" or the beginning of "Vlork: Mighty Wielder of Sheep" (after the opening movie sample). pretty much any of their songs have some bizarre tonality in their melodies.

even if you've never heard of these guys before, could someone maybe youtube their stuff or something and maybe give me some hints?
whose streeky bits between the palm mutes? try playing

10 as a chord

on high strings
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
yeah i do hear a lot of harmonized minor 2nds. but is that a lot of sliding around, tremolo bar or what?

check out, i think their song is "Ulrich Firelord: Breaker of Mountains". if i remember correctly, this song has a lot of tapping, but there is something different about the technique. its all scrapey and just plain bizzare. granted there is dissonant harmonization, but how do the guitars individually get that tone?
whammy bar and thouse harmonics were ur fingers arnt pressing down but just hovering over the string and just really fast riffs

chords like

|
|
|

sound really like seee you next tuesday

or things like

|
|
|
|

touse kinda things are really heavy to if ur tunned to drop d

and last but not least
if your playing a breakdown no

|
|
|
|
|
|000-0-0000-0-0000
|000-0-0000-0-0000-

is more metal synt do it like

|
|
|
|
|
|000000000 0 0 000
|111111111 1 1 111

lot more techniques they use but cbf haha this wshoud help :S
Ok, I listened to "Vlork: Mighty Wielder of Sheep" and there's a good deal of whammy pedal work in those crazy noise sections (like right at the beginning like you said)... so... crazy shreddy lines + whammy pedal + blast beats.

Listening now and it seems to be much the same with "Ulrich Firelord: Breaker of Mountains". Those guys do like their Whammy pedals.

They also like their electronic sounds, look into samples and some more rave-y sounds to add in to your music as well.

I will say one thing though, judging by what I've heard (and liked, thanks for getting me to listen to this by the way) their "sound" is much more a conglomeration of all kinds of elements that probably shouldn't fit together. In Ulrich Firelord for example they do have everything from smooth lounge-ish sections to really quite blast-beating heavy metal to some crazy rave sounds, it's not any one thing that is the sound you're looking for; it's everything.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 7, 2009,
^^^damn i didnt even think about that lol thanks. but does the whammy pedal even help to make that scraping sound? im afraid i have no experience with whammy pedals.

okay, can u youtube their song "Tastes Like Kevin Bacon"? at around 0:50 they do some weird stuff. i know half of it is the guitars shredding a minor second apart. but the other stuff, i dunno about. are they using a whammy pedal there too?
Quote by Absinthe750mL
^^^damn i didnt even think about that lol thanks. but does the whammy pedal even help to make that scraping sound? im afraid i have no experience with whammy pedals.

okay, can u youtube their song "Tastes Like Kevin Bacon"? at around 0:50 they do some weird stuff. i know half of it is the guitars shredding a minor second apart. but the other stuff, i dunno about. are they using a whammy pedal there too?

There's a lot of stuff going on there, the low chugs, disonnant shredding, whammy pedal use but I think the sound you're talking about is actually a pick scrape. At least it sounds that way to my ears, I don't know if anyone else would be hearing it differently but that's what I get from it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.