Page 1 of 4
Well, I was thinking about the creation story in Genesis. Well, let me get this out of the way, I'm not religious, I'm more of a deist than anything, but I like to look at religion because I mean it might be true, and I'd love to be able to put my faith in one.

Well, anyway I was looking at the creation story and thinking about the Origin of Species. I know the Origin of Species is supposed to be a single cell and that's how life on earth started, well Adam was a singular creature.

I was thinking about how God would have told this to people who didn't understand biology the way we do, so they'd just assume he was referring to people, as they'd not have an understanding of cells. But, if you think about it, Adam being there first, then splitting apart to make Eve, that does sound like reproduction of cells.

I mean, maybe the Seven days thing was just like Seven steps which do go along with what many scientists believe the Earth was created in: Sun obviously was here first, Then water came from the atmosphere on a dry Earth, Then after a while the super continent was formed, The cloud coverage wasn't as thick anymore now that the entire planet is no longer water, then animals, then man.

I mean, maybe God just told man that because it's simpler and easier to handle, instead of saying what we couldn't understand at the time. I mean I just thought it was something cool to think about. I just don't think we can take the Bible literally due to the fact that it was written by people with a lesser understand of science than us.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
Well, I was thinking about the creation story in Genesis. Well, let me get this out of the way, I'm not religious, I'm more of a deist than anything, but I like to look at religion because I mean it might be true, and I'd love to be able to put my faith in one.

Well, anyway I was looking at the creation story and thinking about the Origin of Species. I know the Origin of Species is supposed to be a single cell and that's how life on earth started, well Adam was a singular creature.

I was thinking about how God would have told this to people who didn't understand biology the way we do, so they'd just assume he was referring to people, as they'd not have an understanding of cells. But, if you think about it, Adam being there first, then splitting apart to make Eve, that does sound like reproduction of cells.

I mean, maybe the Seven days thing was just like Seven steps which do go along with what many scientists believe the Earth was created in: Sun obviously was here first, Then water came from the atmosphere on a dry Earth, Then after a while the super continent was formed, The cloud coverage wasn't as thick anymore now that the entire planet is no longer water, then animals, then man.

I mean, maybe God just told man that because it's simpler and easier to handle, instead of saying what we couldn't understand at the time. I mean I just thought it was something cool to think about. I just don't think we can take the Bible literally due to the fact that it was written by people with a lesser understand of science than us.

Only works if you leave out about 90% of the genesis story.
What is Adam naming the beasts supposed to signify etc?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Don't take the Bible literally. Read Revelations, it's fucking trippy.

Also:

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Only works if you leave out about 90% of the genesis story.
What is Adam naming the beasts supposed to signify etc?

I don't know, I mean maybe the writer just added **** that he thought would happen, I mean I don't plan to pick apart the entire Genesis chapter, but the creation part does make sense.
Quote by tayroar
I don't know, I mean maybe the writer just added **** that he thought would happen, I mean I don't plan to pick apart the entire Genesis chapter, but the creation part does make sense.

How does that part make sense...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by tayroar

Only because you make it. The actual order given in the bible doesn't make sense.
I can write any story about the beginning of the world and you can take bits of it and ignore others to make it kinda sorta maybe be almost like our scientific understanding of what really happened.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Kensai

No, I mean looking at it through a different perspective does. I don't know, I'm probably gonna get blasted by atheists but I just thought it was a cool idea that I had so I shared it with you guys.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Only because you make it. The actual order given in the bible doesn't make sense.
I can write any story about the beginning of the world and you can take bits of it and ignore others to make it kinda sorta maybe be almost like our scientific understanding of what really happened.

The order I wrote out is the order that he created the world in Genesis.
Last edited by tayroar at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Don't take the Bible literally. Read Revolutions, it's fucking trippy.

Also:

FUU phil collins is NOT Genesis Biatch

ಠ_ಠ

Genesis is peter gabriel, mike rutherford, tony banks, phil collins and steve hacket
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by tayroar

The Creation story is the thing in the bible that makes the least sense whatsoever, since there is one at 1:1-2:3 and another from 2:4-somewhere else.
Aye, tripper is right. Genesis 1 contradicts Genesis 2 in terms of order of creation
Quote by tayroar
No, I mean looking at it through a different perspective does. I don't know, I'm probably gonna get blasted by atheists but I just thought it was a cool idea that I had so I shared it with you guys.

Without being mean, it really is absolutely nothing new. In fact, it's really old.

Right, give ten people at the dawn of civilisation a bash at describing creation. How can you cypher Genesis as being any more credible than the accounts of the other ten men? In short, you really can't.

And the fact that the order in the way the world emerge is entirely in the wrong order twice in Genesis kinda says something.
Last edited by Craigo at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by tayroar

The order I wrote out is the order that he created the world in Genesis.

Not really. There are two conflicting accounts One in which man is created last (Genesis 1:1-2:4) and one where is he created before rain or plants (Genesis 2:4-25)
The actual order in the seven day narrative isn't as simple as you put it. The most obvious mistake from scientific understanding being the idea that plants formed before life in the oceans. The other obvious one being that plants were created before light on earth.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why the hell shouldn't I ban you for that right now?

Crap! Sorry man, it was the avatar that threw me off. I thought tripper changed his again quickly

And don't be too insulted, daytripper is fairly cool
Quote by Deliriumbassist

some might see it as a compliment...

<_<
Quote by tayroar

But you have to have a certain perspective though for it to make any "sense". Mainly ignoring alot of things that the bible says.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

All mods look the same
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The bible was not and is not meant to be taken literally, and nobody that knows the first thing about it takes it literally. You aren't the first to have this thought, surprisingly.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
The bible was not and is not meant to be taken literally, and nobody that knows the first thing about it takes it literally. You are not the first to have this thought, surprisingly.

Seems a bit pointless then if so much of it shouldn't be taken literally.

Ohh, too lazy to find a quote, but the New Testament says that everything concerning Prophecies must be taken literally. This by deduction includes Revelations.

Have fun.
Quote by Craigo
Ohh, too lazy to find a quote, but the New Testament says that everything concerning Prophecies must be taken literally. This by deduction includes Revelations.

you're not meant to take the 'take it literally' literally.

pffft atheists

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Craigo

Have fun.

You know how many people contributed to the bible. Imagine everyone in the pit writing a book. Obviously there are going to be many retards putting retarded shit in it. And why is something useless because it isn't meant to be taken literally?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Kensai

TS hasn't been clear on that part...
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by MHDrunk
You know how many people contributed to the bible. Imagine everyone in the pit writing a book. Obviously there are going to be many retards putting retarded shit in it. And why is something useless because it isn't meant to be taken literally?

You just compared the Christian Bible to a book being written by a much of retards writing retarded shit in it. This might be the worst defense for the Bible I've ever, ever seen. It's not even slightly funny that you thought that this was a decent way forward to propose an argument.

And a lot of it is useless because it's supposed to be a collection of factual documents.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Well, my initial thought was to post the band Genesis, but I've been beaten.

+1
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Craigo

Have fun.

Revelations origins are basically unknown, the most logical concept I have heard was that it was written as a coded letter. In which case its silly to take it literally.

Also there are certain books that are suppose to be taken literally and certain books that are not. The creation story in fact is NOT suppose to be taken literally, it was written as a myth. If the jews (whos book it belongs to) take it as a myth (or parable) I believe them.

BUT keeping that in mind TS made a good theory, because even myths have a little bit of truth no matter how minute.

I say all this but I think the entire book should be approached with skepticism.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
We call in Megadrive in Europe.

The more you know..
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
amidoinitrite?

Quote by tayroar
But, if you think about it, Adam being there first, then splitting apart to make Eve, that does sound like reproduction of cells.

But seriously, that's an interesting speculation.
Quote by Shadowenspirit
Revelations origins are basically unknown, the most logical concept I have heard was that it was written as a coded letter. In which case its silly to take it literally.

No. It was written by a guy called John and we know where he most likely lived, too. I'm not convinced by that code thing either, at all. But that's something else.

And you ultimately missed my simple point. The New Testament asks you to take prophecies literally, but they're ridiculously vague and virtually impossible. Hence this attacks the credibility. Plus it's humourous.
Also there are certain books that are suppose to be taken literally and certain books that are not. The creation story in fact is NOT suppose to be taken literally, it was written as a myth. If the jews (whos book it belongs to) take it as a myth (or parable) I believe them.

a) How do you decide what is myth and what isn't?
b) Then it makes a lot of the book rather pointless. Why the hell do we need myth?
c) The book loses all credibility when it is distinguishable from other men speculating impossible tales which they thought was true.
I say all this but I think the entire book should be approached with skepticism.

Natch.
Quote by archangels666
amidoinitrite?

no, it's a megadrive. not a genesis.

North america was the only place it was released as the genesis

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by archangels666
amidoinitrite?

But seriously, that's an interesting speculation.

That's Genesis 2.. They are talking about Genesis 1

Quote by Lemoninfluence
no, it's a megadrive. not a genesis.

North america was the only place it was released as the genesis

yeah, same thing. The massive sign reading GENESIS tipped me off
Quote by Craigo
No. It was written by a guy called John and we know where he most likely lived, too. I'm not convinced by that code thing either, at all. But that's something else.

And you ultimately missed my simple point. The New Testament asks you to take prophecies literally, but they're ridiculously vague and virtually impossible. Hence this attacks the credibility. Plus it's humourous.

a) How do you decide what is myth and what isn't?
b) Then it makes a lot of the book rather pointless. Why the hell do we need myth?
c) The book loses all credibility when it is distinguishable from other men speculating impossible tales which they thought was true.

Natch.

A) I can't. And don't try to, although I do think its safe to say the creation story is myth.
B) Every culture uses myth, we learn through stories which I think was the basic point of the Bible, to instill a certain morality etc.
c) I agree. Hence my last sentence.

Also:
1. I don't really care whether or not you are convinced by the code thing, of what I have heard it is the most credible.
2. You don't have to get so defensive. (:
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by archangels666
Then why does it say "GENESIS" right on the front then, Mr. Smartysmartpants? Hm?

because your stupid ass legal system meant that sega couldn't get the rights to release it as the "megadrive". And let's face it, Megadrive is a much better name than genesis.

It's like "oh I'm gonna play this average sounding games console. yeah my enjoyment is coming into being... sort of"

or you could be all like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS GAMES CONSOLE JUST EXPLODED MY MUTHAFUCKIN ANUS WITH ITS AWESOMENESS. IT'S DRIVING MY CONSCIOUSNESS TO NEW, HIGHER PLANES OF EXISTENCE WITH ITS MEGA-AWESOME 16-BIT HARDWARE"

I rest my case.

Quote by element4433
Page 1 of 4