im not sure what improvisation reallly is (as in how to define it)

but what i usually do is throw on a song and solo over it for the duration of the song using the pentatonic scale and play random licks n stuff which usually sounds pretty cool.

lately i heard some song on the radio think it was Elvis - If i can dream

and i just totaly sucked at it so bad that all i did was just play the scale up and down in each box

and thats all i can pretty much do for now for any song i try improvise to, i seem to have lost my funk

can sum1 suggest anything to get my grooove back
Last edited by kebzicum at Oct 6, 2009,
Elvis - If I Can Dream is such a great song.
I got stuck in the same rut about four years ago, what I found really helped was to learn the chord positions all the way down the fret board...
i.e
G=

&

&

x
x

&

x

&

x

This is just a quick example but it really reinforces in your brain how open the fret board is and drills in the location of notes, as opposed to just pentatonic position one.
The second is to think more melodically instead of licks...
Start just playing melodies in stead of licks this could be single string melodies or piano-esque high note chordal tinkles...it doesn't matter. When you can start to make up, or pick out melodies that work effectively, you can then start to blend in licks.
Remember most really good solos act should act on a melodic level too as well as just looking or sounding "cool" or doing something technically challenging.

It's just my advice, but this helped me so much.
Also learn the basics of blues rhythm guitar and how to use turnarounds, they might sound cliche (I love them) but again the demonstrate new ways of thinking and highlight friendly territory (note-wise) outside of simply playing boxes.
imrprovisation is spontaneously doing something with no forethought or planning. so, improv in music is spontaneously playing your instrument on the spot.

it would help to try to get in key with whatever you're playing to. you can do this by ear or look it up pretty quick online.
once you do that, you need to pick up on the chord progressions. when the harmony changes, so should the melody you're playing.
also listen to the rhythm.

once you're able to catch on to the rhythm and harmonies, then it should be easier to come up with some phrasing. i would definitely recommend trying to keep your melodies simple at first. also it might help to learn other scales and modes as well. pentatonic isnt going to sound too well with everything.
OK i forgot to mention what i can do

I can
-Identify the key of the song
-improvise according to tempo, harmonies and some rythm
-play the pentatonic scale over the entire fretboard including on single strings
-know the notes i am playing

im not sure how learning the chords in all the positions is helping me tho i do know the basic chords (ABCDEGF etc) in 2 positions each

also i have another question. If i were to introduce tapping into my improvising how would i go about doing this using my knowledge of the pentatonic scale

yeah and im abit confused about the melody question would i go about finding a melody using the notes of the scale in that particular key or just try the whole fretboard with alot of trial and error
I found that listening to new guitarists usually helps with getting fresh ideas for phrasing. As for melody, that takes a good deal of trial and error (at least it did for me), but you can help the direction by knowing the chords (you say you know what notes you play, so that shouldnt be too hard). As for learning new scales and whatnot, its a good idea, but usually when I do it I end up straying too far from the basics. My advice is to use the new scales to add a punch to your playing, but don't overuse them.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you...

The Band

Viva La Revolución!
Between scales of major,s and minors and panat.majors and minors and MODES for this and that it all boils down to ROCK ON Rock HARD!! the whole idea is to have fun ,
Quote by kebzicum
im not sure what improvisation reallly is (as in how to define it)

but what i usually do is throw on a song and solo over it for the duration of the song using the pentatonic scale and play random licks n stuff which usually sounds pretty cool.

lately i heard some song on the radio think it was Elvis - If i can dream

and i just totaly sucked at it so bad that all i did was just play the scale up and down in each box

and thats all i can pretty much do for now for any song i try improvise to, i seem to have lost my funk

can sum1 suggest anything to get my grooove back

Rather than playing over a song, why don't you try playing with a song.

Learn the actual guitar part
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Absinthe750mL
imrprovisation is spontaneously doing something with no forethought or planning. so, improv in music is spontaneously playing your instrument on the spot.

What if I plan to improv over something?
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.