right now im playing through a line 6 spider iii 75w and am looking to upgrade. problem is i live in an apartment and cant turn my amp up past 2 without my downstairs neighbor knocking on my door and "asking" if i wouldnt mind turning the amp down a little bit. i bought a $30 pair of sennheiser headphones but the sound through them is terrible through the amp so id rather play at super low volumes than loud through the headphones.

id love to go buy a 6505+ and an attenuator right now, problem is i feel like the volume level would still be too high. was thinking of maybe trying out some solid state randalls as i would figure i could get a good tone at low volumes with a solid state. i play ozzy, metallica, megadeth, pantera type stuff mostly and also some satriani, yngwie.

any suggestions?
you could buy a Peavey vypyr 30 watt or a roland cube 30x
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
If you like your amp, then you could run the line out into a set of decent computer speakers or your home stereo. Or get a multifx and use computer speakers/stereo. No amp is going to sound great at really low volumes. Although a smaller speaker will help. Try something like a Fender Vibro Champ XD. It has an 8" speaker and a can cover a wide variety of tones. Or a Vypyr 15 which covers the metal tones pretty well.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 6, 2009,
something like a randall rg100es on volume 1 will be too loud or not sound good?

the roland cubes and peavey vypers just feel like more of the same and more so beginner amps like the spider. i plan on buying a jackson sl2ht in the near future and it just seems a shame to be playing professional guitars through starter amps.
I'm really tired of all the talk about tube amps not sounding good at low volume.

I think we've become brainwashed (or spoiled might be a better word).

Once you hear that great sweet cranked tube tone, NOTHING short of that will ever be good enough. So people automatically/instintively say/think that same amp will sound like crap at low volume. It just isn't true.

They sound BETTER at high volume, but that DOES NOT mean they sound "Bad" at low volume.

It's like saying driving a Corvette is MORE fun at 100 Miles per hour. Does that instantly mean it's NOT fun to drive that same car at only say 50 Miles per hour? NO.

Just get the amp you think would sound great at a practice session or a gig. And just use the volume knob. It will still sound fine at low volume.

Get an attenuator if you must, it will definately help.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
I'm really tired of all the talk about tube amps not sounding good at low volume.

Once you hear that great sweet cranked tube tone, NOTHING short of that will ever be good enough. So people automatically/instintively say/think that same amp will sound like crap at low volume. It just isn't true.

They sound BETTER at high volume, but that DOES NOT mean they sound "Bad" at low volume.

It's like saying driving a Corvette is MORE fun at 100 Miles per hour. Does that instantly mean it's NOT fun to drive that same car at only say 50 Miles per hour? NO.

Just get the amp you think would sound great at a practice session or a gig. And just use the volume knob. It will still sound fine at low volume.

I have to disagree. I played a Kerry King JCM model and a JCM 2000(if mermory serves me correct) at like 1 it is sounded pretty bad. I truly believe the lower the volume is on a tube amp, the worst it sounds.
I don't like my 5150 when the post is below 3.... and 3 is loud.

Spend some $$$ on a descent pair of head-phones.
Quote by jonmo1
If cars worked like ears I might agree with you.
Quote by jonmo1

I think most of what people refer to on this subject is the lack of punch and bass. My old Fender doesn't really start kicking until about 5 on the dial. It just seems flat and harsh. SS amps tend to reproduce a full spectrum for guitar more proportionately throughout the dial, whereas tube amps are all highs until they get a little more juice to them.

Basically, I disagree completely.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
+1 to the Flextone.

Some other ideas may be the tubed Vypyr 60. It has a headphone jack. Never played one with headphones tho. The Blackstar HT5 has a headphone jack as well but will struggle a bit with what you want to play. I just played one and quite liked it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 6, 2009,
You might just be better off with something that works well with headphones vs an amp. Another amp you cant turn up isnt gonna be the best. Maybe a POD or something of the sort.
Quote by jonmo1

Great advice, listen to this guy
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by forsaknazrael
I was saying that an attenuator wouldn't make it sound good. I don't care what you say, a tube amp with the attenuator bringing it down all the way just wouldn't cut it. It doesn't sound all that good. It loses a lot of high end, and a lot of the dynamics.

+1
An attenuator for everyday low-volume practice at near full attenuation is ridiculous IMO. Wastes your tubes & sounds muffled. Attenuators are better suited for bringing a cranked amp to suitable STAGE VOLUME. For half the cost of a decent attenuator, just get a used Cube 30. Those things get decent metal tone at whisper volume, with acceptable dynamics. Who cares if you're playing an expensive guitar through it. When you're playing at volumes that low & gain that high, a home made piece of sh!t guitar won't sound any better or worse than a '59 Gold Top.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011