Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of buying another guitar but I'm not sure which one to choose.
I want to play both songs like Metallica and songs like Eric Johnson.
So I wanna play both Distorted and Clean.
I have quite a thight budget.
I can either choose for a Fender Stratocaster Highway something or an Epiphone Les Paul. (/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-GX)
I also want a Flying V, so include that one too.

Which of those two is the best for those styles?

Thanks in advance,

Yours,

Mueslibol ( on my bro's account =P )
You don't have to hold the door open for me
I can do that myself
Last edited by BaBaBoeGaH at Oct 6, 2009,
Get a strat shaped guitar with humbuckers. It'll sound good clean and wit distortion and have good fret access.

Fender Highway One Will do you perfectly.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
As much as I hate them, I could see looking for a strat with an HSS set up being what you want. I do believe the highway one has an HSS version.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by BaBaBoeGaH
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of buying another guitar but I'm not sure which one to choose.
I want to play both songs like Metallica and songs like Eric Johnson.
So I wanna play both Distorted and Clean.
I have quite a thight budget.
I can either choose for a Fender Stratocaster Highway something or an Epiphone Les Paul. (/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-GX)
I also want a Flying V, so include that one too.

Which of those two is the best for those styles?

Thanks in advance,

Yours,

Mueslibol ( on my bro's account =P )

Eric played Les Pauls almost exclusively in his earlier days with Mariani and the Electromagnets and couldn't play with the 7.25" radius fretboard of the strat. Then he got his strat's reradiused for 12" like his Gibsons. The Highway 1 if it has a humbucker or a hotter bridge pickup can play both those genres. I know that EJ used HS-2s in all positions on his '54 strat, Virginia. Though if I recall the HS-2 is more of a low output humbucker to still have that strat quality.

Anyways, whichever you find more comfortable, though if I recall, the GX you're talking about has EMGs in it, so I don't know how that'll handle the Eric Johnson side. I would just save up for an Eric Johnson strat(used) or the Hot Rod '57/'62(used) with a stacked single coil in the bridge.

What amp are you playing through? The amp will be the big factor in getting the versatile tones for both those completely different artists.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Eric played Les Pauls almost exclusively in his earlier days with Mariani and the Electromagnets and couldn't play with the 7.25" radius fretboard of the strat. Then he got his strat's reradiused for 12" like his Gibsons. The Highway 1 if it has a humbucker or a hotter bridge pickup can play both those genres. I know that EJ used HS-2s in all positions on his '54 strat, Virginia. Though if I recall the HS-2 is more of a low output humbucker to still have that strat quality.

Anyways, whichever you find more comfortable, though if I recall, the GX you're talking about has EMGs in it, so I don't know how that'll handle the Eric Johnson side. I would just save up for an Eric Johnson strat(used) or the Hot Rod '57/'62(used) with a stacked single coil in the bridge.

What amp are you playing through? The amp will be the big factor in getting the versatile tones for both those completely different artists.

Unfortunately, both of those guitars are WELL over twice as expensive. Not everyone can afford fenders custom shop.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by FallsDownStairs

Thanks a lot bro!
I'm now looking for a Fender Strat with Humbuckers but else I'll buy a Les Paul.
My local music store sell the LP together with an amp which is totally to play Hard Rock/Blues Music and is great for both Metallica and Eric.
Thanks for all your advice,
As well as for everyone else here!
Thanks!
You don't have to hold the door open for me
I can do that myself
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Unfortunately, both of those guitars are WELL over twice as expensive. Not everyone can afford fenders custom shop.

They aren't custom shop, I don't know why you think they are. Those are production models. They're at the price of $2,000 new (Rosewood EJ strat is near $3,000). Which is why I said used. I picked up my EJ strat used for exactly $1099. If you look for deals and keep your eyes open, you can get an expensive guitar for extremely cheap.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
They aren't custom shop, I don't know why you think they are. Those are production models. They're at the price of $2,000 new (Rosewood EJ strat is near $3,000). Which is why I said used. I picked up my EJ strat used for exactly $1099. If you look for deals and keep your eyes open, you can get an expensive guitar for extremely cheap.

Sorry, I've always considered the Signature series custom shop.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712