hey guys. check out my first attempt at mastering one of my band's tracks at

www.numberonemusic.com/tendencytostray

the only issues i have with it have to do with the overall mix and the vox. we are going to re-record vox in a few weeks hopefully but i think that the mastering as a whole went fairly well.
i use cubase for my initial eq's, and mixing. then i run it through aams for the actual mastering part. i did pretty much everything running through PA speakers because i figured i would get the most unbiased sound through those than anything else i have.

any constructive criticism is definitely appreciated
it sounds a little stale, the bass is really really low along with the drums. the vocals are too overbearing. overall its not too bad minus the fact you sound like nickelback, ha
^ and the whole thing has volume changes all over the place.
It's not consistent.

I don't think it's the fault of the mastering, probably the mix and original recording.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
nickelback eh? you should be burned at the stake for that comment! could the staleness be the difference in speakers? i did everything on 12''s and it sounded fine at home. there are some volume changes that i couldn't figure out why they were there. in the original recordings they aren't there. when i did the mixdown they aren't there. they are just there in the final master. i've still got some work to do.
I had to listen twice, cuz the first time it just sounded off

I have to agree with cainmd, it sounds a little stale and "nickleback"ish - and to be honest the singers voice is not good.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
I had to listen twice, cuz the first time it just sounded off

I have to agree with cainmd, it sounds a little stale and "nickleback"ish - and to be honest the singers voice is not good.

what do you guys mean by nickelbackish? i've played it for a few people now and you two are the only ones that say it sounds like that. and what do you mean by stale exactly?
i do apologize for the vox. we recorded vox for 7 songs that night. 6 hrs of vocal recording kinda wiped him out. we had planned on re-recording the vox for this song and 2 of the other ones. they wont be an issue later on

Quote by GaijinFoot
^ and the whole thing has volume changes all over the place.
It's not consistent.

I don't think it's the fault of the mastering, probably the mix and original recording.

ok. went and checked out the volume on my studio stuff at home. the only time i hear those volume changes is when i play it from the website. when i play the version that is on my computer there are no volume changes. must've been something wrong with the upload
Couple of points:

• Vox - this has been handled. Apart from the performance the use of effects are horrid. The mix also leaves the vocals "floating" over the top of the rest of the mix, they don't feel as they're part of the song.
  • Guitars - I can dig the verse sound but the sound for the chorus is too scooped in the mids and, for this kind of track, too distorted. The guitars lack body so there's no extra "oomph" when the chorus kicks in and that's part of what makes the song feel stale. Re-record the distorted guitars and go for a sound that doesn't sound like bees in a jar; less distorsion and more mids. The particular sound you recorded with might sound awesome when you play with it but in this kind of mix it is crap.
  • Bass - not sure if it's the bass or the drums but something is way too wide. Either way, the bass lacks presence, it's just a woolly thing in the back. It needs some overdrive in the low mids to carve out its own space in the mix.
  • Drums - you need a low cut. Every time the low toms come in it just booms. Just listen to the tom fill leading into the second verse, about 1:07 in, where it moves to the low toms. If you haven't cut everything, and I do mean everything, under 50Hz (on every single track), then you have a lot of crap down there that no one hears but is sucking energy out of the mix. I also think that if you have separate overhead mics recorded on the drums that you should automate those to open up the chorus. The way the song is structured it needs a big chorus and right now the mix lets the listener down when the chorus hits (although it doesn't hit so much as gently tap).
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News

wow... thank you so much for your detailed description. exactly the type of stuff i was looking for. it is a little challenging for me to do all of this because i have lost over 35% of my hearing. details like that help me out a lot.

Quote by mikevmpr3

you are rude sir. coming in to other people's threads when we are looking for help just to place your link in it without giving any feedback on the TS' track is just plane rude.
Last edited by vjferrara at Oct 7, 2009,
You need to work a bit more on the mix before the mastering first.

IMO, it sounds a bit scooped to me and everything was scooped but the vocals. The bass is very overpowering, especially in the intro.

The vocals have been boosted way too high, it takes over the other instruments too much, it needs to be taken down a bit with its EQ IMO.

But yeah, mixing needs work first before mastering, it gets too muddy for the most part, especially when everything's playing, the guitar,bass,vox,drums, it just becomes noise with a person singing over it.
I enjoyed the song. I didn't hear Nickelback, tho.

I agree with a lot of whats been said about vox being too overpowering, needs more bass presence, etc. The verse part was better, but the chorus was definitely overpowering. It also sounded like the vox had quite a bit of clipping/saturation.

Also, I think the transition in guitar sound from verse to chorus was too "stomped in" - might want to try a fade-in of the guitar when the distortion part hits, or bring the bass up higher so that it's not so abrupt from a silky smooth guitar to an instant buzzsaw.