Page 1 of 2
I am contemplating building guitars and selecting the first one. I want to build a telecaster copy as I have a dual humbucker guitar. I have selected a leopardwood hollow body with a maple top and a mahogany neck w/ rosewood finger board. I was wondering if that would be neck heavy and what kind of tone it would produce. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I wanted to work with unusual woods and options to get aquianted with a lot of aspects at the very start.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Boss MT-2(soon to be modded)
-Ibanez TS7(Garpatmodded)
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Quote by burnoutking999
I am contemplating building guitars and selecting the first one. I want to build a telecaster copy as I have a dual humbucker guitar. I have selected a leopardwood hollow body with a maple top and a mahogany neck w/ rosewood finger board. I was wondering if that would be neck heavy and what kind of tone it would produce. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I wanted to work with unusual woods and options to get aquianted with a lot of aspects at the very start.

As long as you can keep the body a bit heavier than the neck you will have no problem with balance. If you can't keep the body heavier, you can position the strap buttons as to keep the best balance possible.

I'd say its all going to depend on how much you hollow out that body.
I was wondering also if anyone has worked with these woods before in this combo and what the benefits/ problems were? what tone differences if any etc...
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
I have decided to order the body and neck already made this time to get my feet wet and as I have no tools lol. I will be working toward the end goal of milling and turning my own wood products some day but on my budget it is not realistic... right now.

So I went on ebay to see what was out there. I had seen a couple bodys out there including the one I ended up buying and what spawned my interest. I decided to go ahead and buy it. I found all the peices and parts for the project tele. So today the body came in and it looks amazing! I will need to sand a little and figure out how/what to finish it with. what do you guys think? any suggestions? I was thinking honey/light stain and some clear and done. The neck is going to be mahogany / rosewood with a satin finish but I was thinking gloss for the body. would that look weird?

bam... pics. different lighting to see the grain.

here are some ebay pics of the parts till I get them all in. I have not recieved the neck yet but it looks amazing so far online! the rest of the parts are on the way

I may leave it stock or do something like one of these... I think I'll leave it but this neck with these mods would look good on another body type I think!

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Here is the Pickguard that is rosewood like the fretboard. I think the looks and tone of this guitar will be insane!!! This is fun so far... spending money lol. I will experiment with stain and colors this weekend to see what to do as far as color. Im thinking a noney on the top and maybe a walnut burst into it. that or maybe something to bring out the natural color of the leopardwood. I cant decide! ANY suggestion are welcome!

Also I got some Highway 1 Fender American made Pickups, Bridge, Controls and hareware.

I will have to modify the controls like this with the greasebucket circuit for the tone I want...

I got the coolest tuners/machines in yesterday! I had never heard of Kluson before but the are a good design to me. The strings go into the middle of the tuner and then you bend it over and tune to pitch. This locks the string in place and puts more back angle and pressure on the string to achieve a better tuning altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ybNwrSc2HU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79dByFE-9TE&feature=related

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Man the grain in that leopard wood is fricken awesome!

I don't really like either of your headstock variations, but if I had to chose, I would say the 2nd one.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Oct 16, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
Man the grain in that leopard wood is fricken awesome!

I don't really like either of your headstock variations, but if I had to chose, I would say the 2nd one.

Yeah, the more i think about it neither do i for this body. maybe for some other type.

The leopardwood is something i had never heard of but had to try it when I saw it. I think a light stain and some clear and done. I cant decide though lol. I am going to get some color tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

I also just noticed as I thought the kluson tuners are set to screw in straight and the neck is drilled for the mini type tuners... now I have to decide to fill or to get different ones
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
looks hot so far, and yeah definately wouldnt go for the headstock mods. The pickquard you chose looks awesome though.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
dont do anything to the headstock. it's gonna ruin it, especially the 2 ideas you posted since they're pretty bad and would make the whole design and lines of the guitar become ruined.

what are you gonna do for the finish? hopefully not something tacky like dying it green or something.
Loving that lacewood, but those kluson tuners have been standard on loads of guitars over the years. Two of my fenders have fender/kluson tuners just like that. They are not that rare, and changing strings is still pretty annoying/ time consuming compared to locking tuners.

Oh, and leave the headstock as is. Its nice at the moment That pickguard is cool too

What finish you doing on the body? You going to stain the maple top?
I am not sure what to do with stain yet. I am NOT doing some weird color even though it looks nice on more modern guitars. Also I know this isnt a super ornate maple but I want to do a stain to pop the grain and then honey for the top... maybe a walnut or a littel reddish tinge like the natural leopard wood for the body. I want the wood the be as natural lookng as possible and with that pickguard I may just do a walnut REALLY light and sand it back to white maple and then clear coat it to get just the grain. I want the contrast somehow to still be there between the top and the body along with the pickguard.

This will be the first time for everything though so any help or tips would be appreciated! I got a peice of tabletop to tape off into four peices and practice on to get different colors/effects so we'll see what I can come up with.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
I am STILL waiting for the neck... I mocked everything I have so far to see what it would look like and I cant wait! I think this will look soooo good.

a few questions though...

1) Whats the best way to fill the screw holes in the neck that it wont be noticed. Or should I just get different tuners.

2) I am going to copper line all the pickup and control cavities. I was trying to decide how to connect them. I thought of drilling out the wiring holes to accept copper tubing and then soldering the to the foil tape. or will a wire from each one suffice?

Pics

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Last edited by burnoutking999 at Oct 20, 2009,
The neck came YAY!!! Finally! This neck was too big for the neck pocket so I had to sand the neck pocket to fit. Also, the color on the fretboard and the pickup guard is slightly different. The frets are also gold plated. Some how I missed this on the ebay pics but w/e. Finally the tuner bushings are too small for the holes in the neck. Back to the drawing board on those I guess unless the make bigger bushings.
so...

1) How do I make the frets unplated? Chemically is there a way or maybe a polishing compound of some sort the wont mess it up but remove it?

2) Should the neck pocket fit flush all the way around? There is a slight gap in the rear.

3) What are good tuners to use that wont break the bank.

Now, the good stuff. PICS!

After sanding the pickguard to fit I gat this so far...
Last edited by burnoutking999 at Oct 20, 2009,
looks reall cool. Love the drain on that fretboard
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Well, I got the neck inserts installed and the guitar bolted together to test it for fit. The neck is tight in the pocket but not 100% square. When I measured with a string it was slightly off. so I bumped it over with the heal of my hand and it was right. is this a problem? Now the holes in the body were too tight and I enlarged them a hair.

Tonight I measured/marked the holes for the pickguard and the controls. I was trying to get a good idea of how exactly the neck pickup it installed without drilling the pickguard. how is that done/ how does it work? I have the screws that are only 1/2 threaded and the rubbers. I am failing to grasp how exactly it will have adjustment as it drills into the body... anyone have detailed pictures or diagrams. I would REALY appreciate it as I am a visual person and in my searching there was too much info of the wrong kind.

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
I know right! I m going to have the natural wood be a big part of the look. The only decision now is to decide how to stain it. I was thinking of going DARK brown on the maple first to pop the flame out and sand it to show it off then use a honey color to finish off.

In addition to that I thought of doing a burst on the very edge of mahogany brown to match the body color to the neck. so basically the maple top will be honey in the middle with dark brown accent in the grain then a sharp fade to mahogany about 1.5-2 inches from the sides and around the back as well to match the neck light brown/tan color. Any opinions on that?

I REALLY NEED SOME OF THOSE QUESTIONS ANSWERED TOO IF ANYONE CAN. The neck pickup especially!
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
well a couple updates...

The first is I decided against any stain at the moment and I am going to use tung oil for the finish and maybe some clear coat or wax or maybe just a tung/varnish mix that builds. I have ben practicing as time allows but the pics dont do justice yet and the time has been limited lately.

So I decided to switch gears and actually make some progress and get the neck done. I took off the plastic nut and got ready for the tuners to be installed. The holes in the neck, come to find out, were bigger inner diameter than the outer diameter of the bushings. Looking at the pictures already posted and below, you can see the bushings are a press in cylinder wiht a lip and are about 10mm OD. The holes in the neck were 11.112 ID. I was freaking out all day today and then came up with the idea to use the copper tape I already had to insulate them and create thickness. This with some wood glue will allow strength but they can be removed later to add different tuners if need/want arises. As always... PICS!

First I measured the BACK of the hole from the front side way back when I ordered these tuning machines...

the hole is not cylindrical... the sides are wallowed for different tuners.

I had the choice to fill and drill or buy new 60-120 dollar tuners. Thats more than my bank account right now so no... I stressed till I came up with this at 4:30 this afternoon.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Last edited by burnoutking999 at Nov 18, 2009,
First I took the bushing...

and cut copper tape into strips about 1/2 inch wide by 5-6 inches long...

then I wrapped it carefully around while keeping it pulled very tight...

I cut off the excess bieng the perfectionist that I am...

and started pressing them in by hand and using a piece of wood to hammer them in to not marr the finish or crome...

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Then I set the tuners in to mark for the screw holes...

Tomorrw at work I will drill the holes for them and the string tree and get it all finished up. I will update tomorrow and hopefully be done with the neck until I get the nut in. I am trying to decide between a bone, tusq, or brass nut.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Last edited by burnoutking999 at Nov 18, 2009,
I like your creativity with fixing the tuners problem.

This looks great, keep it up!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by burnoutking999
Tonight I measured/marked the holes for the pickguard and the controls. I was trying to get a good idea of how exactly the neck pickup it installed without drilling the pickguard. how is that done/ how does it work? I have the screws that are only 1/2 threaded and the rubbers. I am failing to grasp how exactly it will have adjustment as it drills into the body... anyone have detailed pictures or diagrams. I would REALY appreciate it as I am a visual person and in my searching there was too much info of the wrong kind.

Well, the pickups do screw into the body, but the rubber tubing goes on the screw between the pickup and the body so as you tighten the mounting screws the tubber tubing keeps the pickup at the top of the screw's shaft, much like the way the springs work with pickguard- or ring mounted pickups, only in the other direction.

...is that what you meant?

Also, this will rule!
every time you update the thread, I manage to miss it somehow D:

this is still looking super nice
you mentioned a bit of a burst finish earlier..

I'm still voting for a clear non-gloss finish
Quote by WinterSteel
I like your creativity with fixing the tuners problem.

This looks great, keep it up!

Thanks! It was a great moment when the first one worked and was better than I expected. I have already learned a ton on this project and I love doing things like this. Creating/building always makes me feel better about life in general.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Quote by Pikka Bird
Well, the pickups do screw into the body, but the rubber tubing goes on the screw between the pickup and the body so as you tighten the mounting screws the tubber tubing keeps the pickup at the top of the screw's shaft, much like the way the springs work with pickguard- or ring mounted pickups, only in the other direction.

...is that what you meant?

Also, this will rule!

YES! thanks! I was almost positive but not 100%. I appreciate the help. I saw no pics on google etc so I was stressing. I dont like to guess!
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
my neck is done after today with the exception of the nut. also here are some wood pics. A few witht the board are the first coats of tung oil. the black line one is sanded to 220 grit only and the other is 220/400/0000steel wool.

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
This build is awesome. Very clean work. I really like your copper tape idea to fix the tuner holes. The finish is looking great. Also, make sure you measure string spacing and whatnot before you order the nut. I did that and things didn't turn out so well. Also, to me there was a novelty in a brass nut. It doesn't sound much different than a regular nut. I'd go for a tusq or graphite nut if I were you.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by james4
every time you update the thread, I manage to miss it somehow D:

this is still looking super nice
you mentioned a bit of a burst finish earlier..

I'm still voting for a clear non-gloss finish

I'm trying out a "High gloss" tung oil/varnish finish right now on some scrap maple. It doesnt get really glossy like a poly or a laquer but it is nice and deep with just the right amount of sheen. I am trying to get it to build now though to see if it will be like I want and it may be a bit glossier.

Does anyone have a good technique to use with this stuff? I have been applying on a cotton rag and wiping/rubbing into the wood once or 3 times and allowing to dry for a few min. I have been trying to repeat to build the gloss/finish but it doesnt seem to make a huge difference yet. Maybe its still soaking in.

Should I use some 100% tung to get the best/deepest look and honey color and then use the varnish/tung mix to buidl the gloss? I have never used this stuff before...
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Last edited by burnoutking999 at Nov 20, 2009,
Quote by salsawords
This build is awesome. Very clean work. I really like your copper tape idea to fix the tuner holes. The finish is looking great. Also, make sure you measure string spacing and whatnot before you order the nut. I did that and things didn't turn out so well. Also, to me there was a novelty in a brass nut. It doesn't sound much different than a regular nut. I'd go for a tusq or graphite nut if I were you.

I dont know too much/havent seen too much about the string spacing!? what do I / how do I check that? Wouldnt a nut made for a Tele be the right spacing? I thought I would just have to open them up a hair and file the bottom to my liking.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Quote by burnoutking999
I dont know too much/havent seen too much about the string spacing!? what do I / how do I check that? Wouldnt a nut made for a Tele be the right spacing? I thought I would just have to open them up a hair and file the bottom to my liking.

Disregard that part. Stupid me. Mostly I'm just suggesting you avoid a brass nut.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Disregard that part. Stupid me. Mostly I'm just suggesting you avoid a brass nut.

I saw a cool adjustable brass nut that had an adjuster vertically for every string. However I dont think I want brass now. Bone or tusq. Im leaning toward bone atm.
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
if anyone knows about leopardwood/lacewood please let me know how to sand it and get the dust out. The second you sand it is fills the grain with more dust. Its like its NEVER going to get like I want it...
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Are you sanding with a block, that's level?
What are you trying to achieve? If it's fact that because of the grain pattern, some parts are lower then others, that's normal. All figured wood is like that, including flame maple. If you where to put clear on it, that would level it completely.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Are you sanding with a block, that's level?
What are you trying to achieve? If it's fact that because of the grain pattern, some parts are lower then others, that's normal. All figured wood is like that, including flame maple. If you where to put clear on it, that would level it completely.

yeah, i have two new block for this project and they are level. So I can just blow it off and the oil finish will make it look better? I will post pics of what im talking about later. The grain on parts of the lacewood are so dramatic and rich red/brown and gold. the other parts are like they have a haze that wont come off. To me it seems like the way it was cut with a band/jig saw turned the grain in places in such a way that it made problems. This wood seems complex to say the least!
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
So I got brave last night and decided to go for fret levelling and shaping. I may not know what I'm doing I found out! This is nerve wracking for me due to my need to have everything just so. I started anyway. I leveled the neck with the truss rod and my ruler.

Then the tape

...so then I marked them with marker and began making them flat.

Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
I made this at work yesterday too to check everything.

I re-crowned one fret...

Now to rinse and repeat after I get my ruler ground to tolerance to check straightness. Then I will polish each with 600-1500-0000SW-and some micro polish. I was practicing this and realized that I need another leveler. I got one comming from ebay and then I'll be able to finish this up!
Ibanez GAX70 Black
Peavey Transtube EFX
Homemade Pedalboard:
-Boss PW-10
-Boss TU-2
-Peavey amp pedal/switch
Page 1 of 2