I have decent equipment...but my sound is just flabby and trash. My notes don't have defining clarity and aren't very articulate. And my distortion just sounds sterile a lot of the time. Soemtimes my ultra gain setting sounds good for a feew songs, but then the disortion sounds too high and gritty making single notes sound all muddy and crap-like.

My inntonation and stuff is a bit off on my Les Paul, so im hoping i get a bit better "definition" when my Washburn comes in newly adjusted. And hopefully I can get a bit better tones using the VCC of that guitar.

But it really annoys me when i hear a friend's recorded band who is using a cheap Ibanez guitar thorugh a Marshall MG HALFSTACK! and its sounding better than my high dollar stuff.

i mean literally..he's usign that gear and some of their recorded EP stuff sounds like friggen I See Stars or As Cities Burn

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
its cuz u have a marshall maybe. marshall's are kinda muddy in tone and if ur looking for i see stars tone, u might want to go with something like a mesa boogie or line 6 for that good thick distortion. ur marshall is a tube amp too so u have to turn it up pretty loud to sound good. the marshall mg is solid state and u dont have to turn it up too much for it too sound good. u might want to just sit down and dial in ur tone or get a overdrive pedal if u want to keep the marshall.
Fret buzz affects even the most distorted tones. I just did a full setup of a friend's guitar and it totally changed his tone.

EDIT: The guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about.
EDIT2: He's trolling.
and maybe replace ur pickups in ur guitar with like emgs or a seymour duncans too
Fret buzz *can* alter tone. After all, it's the strings hitting something else.

Noise suppressor can, of course, alter tone.

Duncan distortion could just not give the tone for you.

Maybe you have poor cables/cables are too long.

And of course, maybe when you modded your cab, something went a bit iffy

Quote by hidden132
and maybe replace ur pickups in ur guitar with like emgs or a seymour duncans too

Brilliant idea. TS says the distortion sounds sterile, and you suggest EMG's. As much as I love EMG's, they're not reeeeeally gunna make the sound more organic are they? More likely the opposite. Assuming you mean actives, like most people do when suggesting EMG's.

Oh, and he already HAS seymour duncans.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Oct 6, 2009,
i would love another guitar with EMGs (sold my hellraiser a while back ...)

i may put some Blackouts in the Washburn. But to the one who said the Duncan Distortion may not be for me...Joe Trohman of FOB uses that same pickup in a few guitars and i love his tone..although he uses Mesa

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
thats not his guitars.

its his SIGNATURE Guitar.... which is different from the guitar that HE OWNS

Alright, keep your wig on. Geez. I'm well aware most people have multiple guitars, but when people have sig guitars they usualy use the hardware that gives 'their sound'. Would be a bit of a s**e sig if it didnt sound like what theyre known for eh?
Quote by ViS_v2
Fret buzz affects even the most distorted tones. I just did a full setup of a friend's guitar and it totally changed his tone.

EDIT: The guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about.
EDIT2: He's trolling.

^this

It can, it pretty much has to be flopping all over the Frets before it becomes too noticeable. Put a boost to tighten it up a tad? watch your technique is the biggest thing i can tell you for this, play all your solos clean so you can actualy hear your mistakes and fix them, stead of trying to blur it all under copious amounts of gain. As a more organic alternative for the EMGs try bareknuckle warpigs? just a thought.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by pigeonmafia
Alright, keep your wig on. Geez. I'm well aware most people have multiple guitars, but when people have sig guitars they usualy use the hardware that gives 'their sound'. Would be a bit of a s**e sig if it didnt sound like what theyre known for eh?

well sig guitars are built not for the Artist's use, but as an Endorsement and the Artist also gets profit from his/her sig guitar.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well sig guitars are built not for the Artist's use, but as an Endorsement and the Artist also gets profit from his/her sig guitar.

Laiho and Roope use their sigs on stage and studio.

Gilbert uses his sig alot, along alot of other guitar I'll admit

Vai also uses his sig alot

Loomis pretty much always plays his sig from what I've seen

And I know it's a bad example, but Herman Li uses his sig for the solos on the records (apart from the 8 string a few times, if I remember correctly).

Alot of the time, the artist had the sig made for them because they wanted a certain guitar that was just their's, and AFTER was it made available to the public. Sometime's, the sig's will be shown but not available to the public at all.
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Laiho and Roope use their sigs on stage and studio.

Gilbert uses his sig alot, along alot of other guitar I'll admit

Vai also uses his sig alot

Loomis pretty much always plays his sig from what I've seen

Laiho uses a different one, the horns are shorter than his american sig, the Japanese sig resembles Laiho's guitar but from what ive read Laiho's guitar has EMG81's not his signature pickups.
Roope uses a CUSTOM SHOP ESP which resembles his sig.
Gilbert DOES use his but it has some modifications.
Vai's Flo and Evo and Pogo have TONS of modifications that differs it from regular Jems.
idk about Jeff Loomis
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
it depends which model you buy for the laiho due to copyright. And all have been available: his with 81's, his with HZ's, and his with blackouts (which he used on the blood drunk album).

Roope's, obv it wont be the same due to it massively more expensive: however, it will have the same basic hardware and properties (wood, neck profile, pickups) just probably not the same craftsmanship.

Vai, obviously he modifies. But you get the guitar he started with if you like, that is as similar to his as poss without getting, again, crazy expensive.

The whole point is, artist sig's are basicaly their guitars, and will give their sound if used with their equipment, or there abouts. It wont be IDENTICAL, again, because of cost (most people wouldnt be able to afford it). But it will give near enough. Down tot he point where, if an artist uses pickup X, then the top artist sig will use pick up X.
My advice,
I recently had the same problem as you did.....
My gain sounded like it was covering my tone and all i was hearing was a bunch of muddy sounding noises from my amp..
solution?
1.Get it properly set-up.
2.turn your gain DOWN! no im not saying all the was down but seriously try to turn it down as much as you can but still be able to get pinch harmonics and a good chugging sound.
3.Mess around with your EQ settings.I used always have my mids at 4.5 but now i have em basically all the way up and it sounds so much clearer.
4.Know i now some might say this is stupid and some might agree,
but get a tubescreamer.....
I started using mine and turn down the gain on my amp and let my tubescreamer basicly tight up my sound and WOW big difference.
5.If your amp a tube amp,CRANK THAT THING UP!
I got WAY more sustain,clearer notes,and still had a brutal tone..
I say you try what i mentioned and im pretty sure it will help you alot....
And if not oh well i tried.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Turn your gain down and fiddle with your EQ settings. My guess is that you don't have enough mids. Care to share your settings?

Thanks for stealing steps 2 and 3.