I just read the chapter about it on Stephen Hawking's book(A Brief History of Time) and I just don't understand some aspects(I mean, I understand what he's saying, but not why it has to be true). If someone could explain this to me like I'm a super beginner to physics, that would be greatly appreciated.
There's a maths module at my uni on special relativity, I really wanted to do it but it clashed with my other modules
It's the theory you only tell to your special relatives.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Holy Katana
Special relativity is easy as hell compared to general relativity.

Pff, that's cake compared to relative generality.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Hawking lies about a bunch of stuff.

He's like Shakespeare, when something doesn't exist and he wants to talk about it, he just makes it up.

Go read Landau's stuff on theoretical physics. One of my professors told me that I should read the thermodynamics one, for a chipset design course (fluid mechanics+heat sinks=most difficult schoolwork I've ever done), and I ended up getting the full series.

Probably the best physics stuff.
The laws of physics are the same for any observers in uniform motion relative to one another, and the speed of light, c, is a constant in a vacuum no matter what. it also defines the mass energy equivalence law, strengthens the idea of distortion of time and light at speed, and clarifies the idea of inertial frame of reference.
its a lot easier to understand with diagrams, you can probably just google "simple explanation of special relativity" too
Yeah, the laser clock on a train thing and the astronaut examples always helped me.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by guitarhero_764
What does he lie about?

Basically: "Wormholes are the only possible methods of time travel. Their use is generally limited to forwards movement."

Uhm...

Does anyone else see any errors in that? I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
rough topic There is a version of the same book for someone with less of a background knowledge briefer time in history. Its alright. The idea while approaches the speed of light things do change from different perspectives.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by Grindar
Basically: "Wormholes are the only possible methods of time travel. Their use is generally limited to forwards movement."

Uhm...

Does anyone else see any errors in that? I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Not really. It's an opinion. Nobody actually knows.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
the worm hole stuff is more quantum mechanics. I did study this stuff for a few years. And there is proof that it is true. I have done certain experiments to show quantum tunneling, which is awesome. I have also writen some simulations to show it, but lost that whe my last computer crashed. Special relativety really is theory at this point where as quantum mechanics is the accepted theory. Special relativity really takes the idea that light is particle and quantum mechanics uses light being a wave. Hence the wave-particle duality of light
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by Meths
Not really. It's an opinion. Nobody actually knows.

I'll agree.

Quote by joey arce
the worm hole stuff is more quantum mechanics. I did study this stuff for a few years. And there is proof that it is true. I have done certain experiments to show quantum tunneling, which is awesome. I have also writen some simulations to show it, but lost that whe my last computer crashed. Special relativety really is theory at this point where as quantum mechanics is the accepted theory. Special relativity really takes the idea that light is particle and quantum mechanics uses light being a wave. Hence the wave-particle duality of light

Quantum mechanics are just as present in wormhole theories as are blatant lies and made up ****.

There's a difference, quantum mechanics have "real world" uses and are actual science, you can't say that it's an accepted "theory", it's just as accepted as any mainstream science.
I did it last year at uni. If you could be a bit clearer as to the issues you're having with it, it might help.

Try PMing me, I'll get back to you a lot quicker.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by DieGarbageMan
its the theory that scrubs will not be very good when it returns this fall

hahah... that was random.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Grindar
I'll agree.

Quantum mechanics are just as present in wormhole theories as are blatant lies and made up ****.

There's a difference, quantum mechanics have "real world" uses and are actual science, you can't say that it's an accepted "theory", it's just as accepted as any mainstream science.

Lies and theorys are different.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
Lies and theorys are different.

The mechanics of wormholes are full of many lies, and theories. You can try to differentiate between them, but it's much easier to just label them both as lies.
Quote by Gsaws

This is decent; should get you the basics. Doesn't really cover much of what special relativity implies (on a grander scale) but will certainly get you started.

As it says, the basic idea is that you can never reach the speed of light... so as you get close to it lengths get smaller and times get bigger.

because velocity is m/s.... as meters get smaller and seconds get bigger your velocity "goes down." The rate of the time dilation and length contraction will depend on your velocity relative to the speed of light. In this case:

L' (contracted length) is proportional to 1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^1/2 or the square root of 1 minus the square of the proportion of your velocity to the speed of light (c).

Which means that if you ever hit v=c, you will have an infinite length contraction meaning you will no longer be covering any distance.

All of this works because, by Einstein's Postulates you can never go as fast as the light. This has a lot of implications on a femto-scale though, as particles are moving ridiculously fast. It (kinda) births quantum mechanics and the thought processes that revolve around it.
Quote by Grindar
Something with 0 mass is able to go the speed of light, according to some of those basic standards (edit: if you consider quantum movement inside of an atom itself, though, there's nothing in an atom that can have 0 mass to begin with).

Then again, nothing can have 0 mass, so, it's iffy.

TS, you could probably get some used first year uni physics textbooks for pretty cheap that would deal with this.

Photons have 0 mass and are light. Since that's the only thing that hits that point, I figured it wasn't worth mentioning if TS wanted a "simple overview of Special relativity."

Yeah, Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics has a pretty good section on it (from the 6th edition upward at least)... and you can probably find a cheap copy of that online.
I love QM threads; I always get smarter

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)