i have 510 quid (so far) to spend on a bass. Just wondering whether theres any hidden gems out there which arent just your old fenders, gibsons etc...
Warwick you could get for 90 more pounds, i ve seen aload of 5 $$ go for that amount and warwaick STD for 400 second hand of course. Older Fender american standards go for that much. And when the recession began i was seeing MM stingrays going for 650 or so.

Theres plenty out there keep looking.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'd love to be let loose in Lahndan Tahn with a pocketful of cash! Might not get as far as the guitar shops tho...
Seriously, there can't be many places better for hunting down old gold. So get to it! Old gems, to me, means 'under-rated' and so on. Maybe a Yamaha BB, or a tidy Jap Ricky copy. Must be some old Shergolds down your way, still?
As for newer stuff, how about the Rick copy like SkaterDan's got? There'll be Italias and Eastwoods available in that range. Or the Epiphone Jack Casady, as an outside bet?
Was that the kinds of 'alternatives' you're looking for?
Maybe look for old, discontinued basses that aren't your "usual" Fender or Gibsons ect. Go around and look for the littlest, most under-rated looking shops around. Found an Ric 4001 for only like $1300 or so (still couldn't afford it sadly), but yeah, small shops with lots of used gear are your friend. Or you can lurk on ebay and craigslist until something pops up
once i went into a pawn shop and found a sweeeet '82 ibanez destroyer II for like six hundred. Point being: go hunt
It's doubtful you'll find one in Europe, but old Peaveys are almost always pawn-shop gems.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It's doubtful you'll find one in Europe, but old Peaveys are almost always pawn-shop gems.

wouldnt be so sure, seen a Peavey in a cash converters window a couple of weeks ago but it was gone when i went to try it out a week later :'( which sucked it looked really really nice xD.

Aria Pro's are also pretty good basses aswell you would prolly find a used one in that range me thinks :P also the Ampeg Dan Armstrong's pretty not to well known and is a plexiglass body got no clue on how it plays but you could prolly find a used re-issue for a good price i think.
http://guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09022413411729

heres a link to what it looks like i will say it looks pretty goddamn awesome when you see one.But for that you would need to hunt for a used one dunno if a used ones in your range.

and theres always used Ricks you could get :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I'd say +1 to the Rick copy - look for ones by Anniversary, which are nicely in your price range and play damn well.

Just checking - does that budget cover an amp, or have you another solution to that?
Quote by jewishfriend
i have 510 quid (so far) to spend on a bass. Just wondering whether theres any hidden gems out there which arent just your old fenders, gibsons etc...

Ibanez ATK300