Hi Guys!!! I just got into the forums today I'm usually just picking up tabs on UG...Anyway, so I want to buy a guitar and would really really appreciate it if you have any suggestions. I'm pretty ignorant about the market so I'll be depending on you guys' word for it . Here are some things to consider-

Guitar Type: Electric-Acoustic
Guitar Back: Anything but the Ovation-ish plastic materials
Budget: $160
Influences: Daughtry, Nickelback, Greenday, Good Charlotte, David Cook (Both Electric and acoustic songs for all of these bands)
My Amp: A Line6 $100 amp
Experience Level: Intermediate

So...What Guitar I should buy?

OH! And is Dean a good brand?? Cause I was looking at this page and thought that the guitar was kind of nice (Looks-wise :P ) --> http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Performer-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001APUIUG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1254841017&sr=1-10

AND thanks a million for giving me your time!!! Really!!!
man o man--$160- that will make it hard
can you save up a few more bucks?
because you almost can't get a quality instrument at that price, it's maybe possible with used or something
i am not a snob by any means- i own my share of squier jagmasters and such---- but i don't know of an electric acoustic for 160
I know!!! I'm on a really tight budget...Damn, I wish I could save but it's kind of urgent so I can't really go over 160 atm :S
i read the reviews on the dean, they are mixed, but i gotta tell ya for $160 shipped, that's about as good as your going to get
it may need to be set up when you get it if you know how
Um...you could look at some used Ibanez acoustics. and look into pawn shops. You can find really good deals. I found an Ibanez acoustic-electric for $80 and all it needed was some strings.
I use to live in Maryland, where exactly do you live? I could point you to a couple of good shops.
Quote by darkcheef
I use to live in Maryland, where exactly do you live? I could point you to a couple of good shops.

Me too.
Kramer Vanguard.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
@brokenarrow5: Hehe yeah man hopefully I'll be able to work out the setting up if it needs it. thanks

@minchew: Yes...I think I'm gonna go for a second-hand guitar if nobody thinks the new ones are any good

@darkcheef & SlayingDragons: I am in Germantown
Last edited by crouch88 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by crouch88
@brokenarrow5: Hehe yeah man hopefully I'll be able to work out the setting up if it needs it. thanks

@minchew: Yes...I think I'm gonna go for a second-hand guitar if nobody thinks the new ones are any good

@darkcheek: I am in Germantown

What one, there are like 5 or something in maryland alone
umm...5 Germantowns in MD? I didn't know...Well I am in the one that's close to Montgomery Country, D.C suburbs and all
Is your line 6 amp a spider? ... Acoustics dont sound very good through an electric amp ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by crouch88
umm...5 Germantowns in MD? I didn't know...Well I am in the one that's close to Montgomery Country, D.C suburbs and all

I had a friend who lived around Montgomery county, and he said that shop Music and Arts was alright. Sorry I can't be much help, I lived closer to Baltimore than DC.
Quote by Tatsumaru
Is your line 6 amp a spider? ... Acoustics dont sound very good through an electric amp ...

uhhh...I'm not sure, I'll go check after I go home :| But I got this foreign non-branded acoustic that sounds okay with it though

Quote by darkcheef
I had a friend who lived around Montgomery county, and he said that shop Music and Arts was alright. Sorry I can't be much help, I lived closer to Baltimore than DC.

Music and Arts has some nice guitars. But it's is pretty expensive, like if you have a $300+ budget it's a good place to go to. But thanks
Last edited by crouch88 at Oct 6, 2009,
Okay...so I guess everyone thinks it would be smarter to get something from a pawnshop rather than buying a new one for 160...
Quote by crouch88
Okay...so I guess everyone thinks it would be smarter to get something from a pawnshop rather than buying a new one for 160...

Oh and remember, play all pawnshop guitars, check for fakes, and always lowball.
Save up the money. You're not gonna get a good guitar for $160 period... cheapest guitar i've ever play that i thought was good enough was an ibanez... it was about $300. Pawnshops you're best bet though. They will try to rip you off though. Trust me when i was buying my first guitar i went to pawnshops and would see the same guitar in mint condition at a music store for less...
there isn't much

Quote by crouch88
Hi Guys!!! I just got into the forums today I'm usually just picking up tabs on UG...Anyway, so I want to buy a guitar and would really really appreciate it if you have any suggestions. I'm pretty ignorant about the market so I'll be depending on you guys' word for it . Here are some things to consider-

Guitar Type: Electric-Acoustic
Guitar Back: Anything but the Ovation-ish plastic materials
Budget: $160
Influences: Daughtry, Nickelback, Greenday, Good Charlotte, David Cook (Both Electric and acoustic songs for all of these bands)
My Amp: A Line6 $100 amp
Experience Level: Intermediate

So...What Guitar I should buy?

OH! And is Dean a good brand?? Cause I was looking at this page and thought that the guitar was kind of nice (Looks-wise :P ) --> http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Performer-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001APUIUG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1254841017&sr=1-10

AND thanks a million for giving me your time!!! Really!!!
try and find something with humbuckers. What have you got now may i ask?

And i'm not sure if dean are very good.
there's no point in buying a guitar for $160 it will just sound awful especially an acoustic guitar.. intonation will be terrible and it will be impossible to play
maybe if you get a good used deal though
1. Save more than $160. You won't find much worth your while at that price. Even then it'll be quite a few before you find one worth keeping.
2.Get a better amp first, that'll effect your tone more.
3. If you're going to buy here in Maryland, go to either Chuck Levins' Washington Music center or Bills Music unless you get an employee discount somewhere, as they'll generally match prices and their staff are awesome people(If you do go to Bill's, ask for Don, I consider him a friend and would love to see him get some sales). Also I find they have a much more inviting atmosphere than Guitar Center.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39