So I applied the white, masked, applied black, but some parts got black where it shouldnt be, and there is a part of the white that needs to be fixed. I would try to sand it, but I sanded before, and the gray color of the sandpaper came off onto the white paint, and I had to spray more white paint (which I am out of), same with the brownish sandpaper. So my question is how should I remove these marks? Im also worried to sand the clear coat once it is applied because what if the color comes off on those also?

Impossible is Nothing
I used a razor blade to scratch off the mistakes, but that wont work if the paint has cured and fully hardened. steal wool might work, just put a magnent inside it to prevent the flakes from going everywhere. Another way is to use a tuch-up paint, so you would just cover the black.
If you didn't sand the white then the black may not have stuck brilliantly.

So yes, use a razor blade or Xacto, but not so much scrape, but pick the paint off.

Here is what I suggested you do in the Painting thread:

Quote by What Skeet said, but solomon684 didn't listen to

If you haven't painted the white yet, do that , possibly sand it but follow it with a coat or two of clear and sand that, then mask, then black, peel the mask after about 10 mins or when paint is still tacky. Peel the mask back over itself so it sheers the paint, then apply 3 coats of clear and let it dry. Then wet sand that with P800, then 3 more coast of clear, then 1200 etc and buff out

If you had cleared the WHITE, before applying the BLACK as I suggested, then the problem you now have, would be less serious because you would have had a couple of layers of clear to protect the white.

You have to wet sand paint, with water, soap and wet and dry paper. If you have not done this, then that is why some of the colour of the sand paper has come off on the paint. Or the paint was not fully dry.
The point of WET SANDING, is that the water floats away the abrasive particles and bits of paint or clear, stopping them from being rubbed into your fresh paint.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!

FUCK! I completely forgot the clear coat in between

I did wetsand with soap, but then do I use dry paper after?

**** me
Impossible is Nothing
You never use dry paper once you have the second coat of primer on.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Alright I guess Ill just wetsand again and if I **** it up Ill get more paint. Im still pissed, but you learn from your mistakes so at least I wont forget for my next build.

Time to see how the wetsanding works....
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Alright I guess Ill just wetsand again and if I **** it up Ill get more paint. Im still pissed, but you learn from your mistakes so at least I wont forget for my next build.

Time to see how the wetsanding works....

You need to flick the black off before you go near it.

There is no point wet sanding now, you will just screw up what is there. Wet sand after the lacquer if that goes well, or start again with more paint, better preparation and decent plastic tape or painters mask (Friskett).
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Ok I was able to get off the black with an exacto knife so thats ok now, but I wetsanded with soap and water on scrap and still got the same problem with the sandpaper so I guess now just apply clear then wetsand/buff?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Ok I was able to get off the black with an exacto knife so thats ok now, but I wetsanded with soap and water on scrap and still got the same problem with the sandpaper so I guess now just apply clear then wetsand/buff?

I assume that you cant be using proper wet and dry stuff mate, because it shouldn't do that.

So yeah, clear it. Or wait until you can get proper W&D which you will need for the clear anyway.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by solomon684
Im using this from stewmac, and it says it can be used wet: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Abrasives,_polishes,_buffers/Sandpaper_-_Finishing_Paper_Sampler_Package.html?tab=Details#details

Do you recommend a specific brand that you use? I feel like I must be doing something wrong...

Are you using the yellow ones or the grey ones?

3M are certainly good, but "can be used wet" and "wet and dry" sound like they might be different.

So when you use it, the abrasive comes off into the paint?

You need to soak the paper for 20 mins in the warm water and soap and use the block.

It is all in that tutorial that I linked to, dude.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Are you using the yellow ones or the grey ones?

3M are certainly good, but "can be used wet" and "wet and dry" sound like they might be different.

So when you use it, the abrasive comes off into the paint?

You need to soak the paper for 20 mins in the warm water and soap and use the block.

It is all in that tutorial that I linked to, dude.

I tried both yellow and gray, you think it could be the sandpaper? I tried a loose piece of 800 grit that I had (wet or dry) and the same thing happened

Yea the abrasive basically comes off into the paint, kind of imprinting the sandpaper on it. I can get a pic if you'd like

Think I should run over to boys now and get 3M some wet or dry sandpaper?
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by solomon684
I tried both yellow and gray, you think it could be the sandpaper? I tried a loose piece of 800 grit that I had (wet or dry) and the same thing happened

Yea the abrasive basically comes off into the paint, kind of imprinting the sandpaper on it. I can get a pic if you'd like

Think I should run over to boys now and get 3M some wet or dry sandpaper?

Probably.

You do need to literally have the bit you are sanding WET. Not damp, totally wet.

Dip the block and paper into the warm soapy water, sand the guitar a bit, back in the water, sand some more...after a bit, rinse it off, dry it and check progress.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Probably.

You do need to literally have the bit you are sanding WET. Not damp, totally wet.

Dip the block and paper into the warm soapy water, sand the guitar a bit, back in the water, sand some more...after a bit, rinse it off, dry it and check progress.

I know I did the 20 min you recommended, and dont sand to hard, sand lightly right?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
I know I did the 20 min you recommended, and don't sand to hard, sand lightly right?

Well yeah, I suppose so.

What grits are you gonna get?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/russet02/001.jpg
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani