Hey, new to the community...and like everyone else, looking for answers! Im looking into possibly investing in some kind of half stack. Im looking for a high gain head with some heavy bass response. Tones i would like to emulate would include avenged sevenfold, slash's heavier stuff, three days grace, (dare i say) some nickelback stuff? Anyway multiple channels would be a plus. In this I would also like input on heads that people have played that have a low signal to noise ratio, nothing worse than a humming amp when you crank it. Also if you have any suggestions on getting the strongest signal before noise, i use a isp decimator pedal to get rid of some but if the noise gets loud enough it can still bleed through when playing (especially recording). Oh and my current rig is an egnater tourmaster combo, love the tones (esp. ch1+4) but it gets really noisy when im cranking it, especially heavy distortion or older single coils. My budget would be around 1400 (higher priced ones please post as well), probably looking for high quality used stuff. help help help!
Schecter C-1+, Fender American HSS Strat
Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb Head, rectifier 4x12 cab

check my thread for a list of them

but...
can you go used?
where are you located?
and what is your MAXIMUM Budget?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
JCM 50w stack (around $1400 used)
Traynor YCS50H (around $1000 used)

The Marshall will get you close to the Metal sounds, the Traynor is just amazing but not as gainy as the Marshall.
^for modern stuff?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Hughes&Kettner Switchblade
Peavey 6505+
ENGL Fireball
Peavey XXX
Peavey JSX - although I haven't played it.
Here's stuff to consider too:

Peavey 3120 head $800 (needs cab) (has $200 Windsor cab - don't)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/1409198638.html

Mesa Lonestar and Avatar 212 $1250
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1408896439.html

Mesa Triple Rec $1300
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/1408229970.html

JCM900 dual reverb with cab $1200
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/1406095243.html

Peavey 5150II + road case $900 (needs cab)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1404681998.html

Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 head $500 (needs cab)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1402031381.html

Mesa Boogie F100 212 combo (bid $800 or so)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/1400509652.html

Mesa Boogie Dual Rec head $1000 (needs cab)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/1399665415.html

Marshall JCM2000 TSL head $900 (needs cab)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/1399185496.html

(was that your tourmaster I saw on Clist?)
People suggesting a XXX for low noise !?!? I like these amps but if there's anything they are not, it's noiseless haha. If you get a noise gate for it though it would make for a great amp at a great value. For some reason, they're everywhere in the used amp market right now around where I live and they're going for dirt cheap (I saw one for 500$ canadian dollars!).

But an amp that's naturally low noise, I own a dual rectifier, and it's a really quiet amp.
Anything non-Peavey gets my vote. Peavey makes the noisiest high gain amps I've ever heard, they sound great, but dear god.

I haven't had to use a noise gate at all since my 5150. That's like... 15 amps? lmao
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Peavey JSX...or check your comments
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
An Engl Powerball would be best with it's versatile four channels, modern voicing and low noise due to its onboard noise gate/reduction.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Fireball, FIreball, FIReball, FIREball, FIREBall, FIREBAll, FIREBALl, FIREBALL... FIREBALL!!!!!!!!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Look at the gear for metal thread.

Also for heavier stuff you better play a guitar with humbuckers or EMG singlecoils to get less noise.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you get a chance try the Budda SD series.......Incredible sounding amps worth every penny!!!
thanks for all the replies....
so im getting the general consensus that peavy heads are more suseptible to some noise when cranked at high gains? A lot of people say gates is the common cure but if the amp is noisy enough itll bleed through a bit when playing. As far as my guitar goes i have the stock duncan designed humbuckers that come in a C1+. They aren't bad to be honest but i know that that might be an issue to work on. Any suggestions on replacing 1 or both pickups? i know the hellraiser comes with the emg's and dirty those are great but i wasnt impressed with (the lack of) versatility. Also i think ill stay away from the fireball due to noise. Also is the JCM 2000 pretty much the higher gain of the marshall heads? Found some decent pricing on those, also those mesa rectifier heads are nice but havent given em a full test. U think they will get dirty to my pleasing? *311... thanks a lot for the craiglist posts, those help the most. Anything else please comment....i love all and any input
Egnater Tourmaster 4212

Quote by MatrixClaw
Anything non-Peavey gets my vote. Peavey makes the noisiest high gain amps I've ever heard, they sound great, but dear god.

I haven't had to use a noise gate at all since my 5150. That's like... 15 amps? lmao

+1

I have owned 4 Peavey's now and they all produce a good amount of noise over any other amp. Worst being my old 6505+ and Best my current Triple (but that was also putting 3 triples head to head and picking the best out of the 3 at purchase. One was horrible, one so so and the one I picked had the smallest amount and sounded the best)

As for best amp... So far the Bogner Uberschall has been the quietest out of the modern metal amps I have tested.
^gotta love the Uber. High gain, dark and angry yet very controllable. Also very pricey used or not.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by Johnnybyall
thanks for all the replies....
so im getting the general consensus that peavy heads are more suseptible to some noise when cranked at high gains? A lot of people say gates is the common cure but if the amp is noisy enough itll bleed through a bit when playing. As far as my guitar goes i have the stock duncan designed humbuckers that come in a C1+. They aren't bad to be honest but i know that that might be an issue to work on. Any suggestions on replacing 1 or both pickups? i know the hellraiser comes with the emg's and dirty those are great but i wasnt impressed with (the lack of) versatility. Also i think ill stay away from the fireball due to noise. Also is the JCM 2000 pretty much the higher gain of the marshall heads? Found some decent pricing on those, also those mesa rectifier heads are nice but havent given em a full test. U think they will get dirty to my pleasing? *311... thanks a lot for the craiglist posts, those help the most. Anything else please comment....i love all and any input

No probs. Yes, Peaveys are noisy. They are low/mid budget high gainers so their circuits/components will not be as good as higher end stuff. They are just a great bang for the buck so like IbanezPsycho said, you'd have to play some to determine for yourself.

I've always read that Duncan designed stuff is not as good as the original. I would think active pups would just add to your noise issues. I'd look for a higher quality passive pups from DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckles, Rockmonkey, etc. I have a Duncan Custom Custom and I am very happy with it.

Yes the JCM 2000s are their modern high gainers. Some people swear by them. I don't care for their distortion or build quality (especially for the money they cost here in the US anyway).

I'd rather have a Mesa or even a Peavey - but they all sound different so that part is up to your ears.

Good luck
just a bit out of my price range....haha. again im looking used to be more budget friendly, also i looked more into the powerball (video demos and such) and it sounds really good, just dont like some of the features (shared EQ and gain). Something similar sounding to that would be great
Egnater Tourmaster 4212

Quote by intentionsthere
People suggesting a XXX for low noise !?!? I like these amps but if there's anything they are not, it's noiseless haha. If you get a noise gate for it though it would make for a great amp at a great value. For some reason, they're everywhere in the used amp market right now around where I live and they're going for dirt cheap (I saw one for 500$ canadian dollars!).

But an amp that's naturally low noise, I own a dual rectifier, and it's a really quiet amp.
I understand--and you're probably right--but it's high-gain: I've only ever played expensive amps that have high amounts of saturation without the excess noise. Even the Powerball I used with the noise-gate function on sounded fizzy.

You may need to look into boutique makers, such as Bogner, as IP suggested, Splawn, as 311 pointed out, and maybe Diezel. But if you're in the States two of those are incredibly high in price. Try and find some form of a hot-rodded Marshall tone from the boutique market.