I have a zoom h4 recorder that I recently picked up in a trade and I'm wondering what is the best way to get a high quality recording. I have mixers, recordinf mics, cables and everything I need, I just need to know a way to record everything (including frums). Help me!
Well, the H4 is more for field recording than a full on studio production, but here's what you can do:

Set up your mics and run them into the mixer. Using monitors, adjust the levels. If you have enough outputs, leave the monitors in(control room out, usually), then run two cables (left and right) out of the mixer (whatever the output is labeled) into the Zoom as inputs 1 and 2. That'll get you a pretty good sound if you EQ and mix everything properly on the board going in.

Edit: according to the Samson website, it's also an interface:
"Recording directly to your computer has never been easier than with the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. The H4 is the only portable digital recorder that also serves as your USB audio interface, allowing direct recording of instruments and vocals to your computer. And, if you don’t already have a DAW, that’s okay because every H4 comes bundled with Cubase LE, the perfect 48-Track Digital Audio Workstation for easy editing, mixing and mastering of your recordings on either Windows or Mac."

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Oct 6, 2009,