So, basically I'd really like some twangy crunchy raw sounding tone (the tone of a telecaster if you don't understand). So I've been looking at the Fender Standard Telecaster in white which I'm probably going to go to some guitar shop soon and test it out. Although, before I go, I'd like to know what you guys think about the versitality of tele's?

I really love that keith richards sound, so I'm guessing a tele would be the best way to go about it. The only problem is, I don't just play blues. I also play rock, classic rock, punk (the stooges/turbonegro style), and some others. Therefore I'd like to know if a tele can handle all of these, or should I get a different style of guitar (in your opinion)?

Also, while I'm here I might aswell ask: What kinda amp would I need to get a crunchy raw overdriven bluesy keith richards sort of tone? And one small question: are telecasters heavy (I've never actually played one, but I'm gonna before I buy one- obviously!) like les pauls or lighter than them or what? Oh, and also, what would a tele sound like down some distorted jcm800 playing slash kinda solo's?

Cheers big ears!
Last edited by dotheFlop at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by dotheFlop
So, basically I'd really like some twangy crunchy raw sounding tone (the tone of a telecaster if you don't understand). So I've been looking at the Fender Standard Telecaster in white which I'm probably going to go to some guitar shop soon and test it out. Although, before I go, I'd like to know what you guys think about the versitality of tele's?

I really love that keith richards sound, so I'm guessing a tele would be the best way to go about it. The only problem is, I don't just play blues. I also play rock, classic rock, punk (the stooges/turbonegro style), and some others. Therefore I'd like to know if a tele can handle all of these, or should I get a different style of guitar (in your opinion)?

Also, while I'm here I might aswell ask: What kinda amp would I need to get a crunchy raw overdriven bluesy keith richards sort of tone? And one small question: are telecasters heavy (I've never actually played one, but I'm gonna before I buy one- obviously!) like les pauls or lighter than them or what?

Cheers big ears!

It depends what model, if it is the MIM one it will be alot less. But if it is one of the Mahogany ones it will weight near it.
A Tele can do any style that doesn't require heavy distortion, or could even do that with the right pickups. You can find Tele players in almost any genre. I use mine for blues, classic rock, and 90s alternative.
Hi, I'm Peter
Hey there, a Tele is defo the best choice for the crunchy twangy sound. I have a Baja Tele, and even though it has no humbuckers it is VERY versatile. I can get rock, country, blues, jazz, pop and even a good metal tone with a pedal and a few adjustments. If you just want to be able to just plug in and play punk and rock, then maybe look at the Classic or Deluxe Tele's that have Humbuckers, or just get some decent pedals.

As for the weight, comparing it to a Les Paul I used to have, it is much lighter. But I guess it may depend on what wood you go for.

And a Tele would sound great playing a solo through a Marshall, but a Humbucker is a lot fuller.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
^ They make several models of Teles with humbuckers (either one or two) to fit basically any tonal need. Thinline Teles are very versatile.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thankyou all for your replies so far, I appreciate it..

Hmm! Would getting a tele with humbuckers still keep that raw twangy sound though? Because I think that if it could, then it would be as versatile as I need it to be (for the genre's I play) therefore I think a tele with humbuckers would be better than a les paul because it would have everything I need in a les paul except the tele would also have the twangy sound? Or can you get that twangy sound with a les paul? Because the two options for a new guitar I'm considering is a Fender Tele or a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Telecasters are really the only electric guitar I enjoy listening to completely clean. My strat, les paul, etc. I need just a touch of overdrive for clean sections to satisfy my ears but not with the tele. If you're going for that traditional tele sound see if you can pick up a vintage bridge set too. Little tricky to get everything intonated on it but it's worth it to me.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
Quote by Dirk Gently
A Tele can do any style that doesn't require heavy distortion, or could even do that with the right pickups. You can find Tele players in almost any genre. I use mine for blues, classic rock, and 90s alternative.

well actually a telecaster can do any style, even those that require heavy distortion.

For example, Mouth of the Architect, or ISIS.

n00b

btw teles pwn
One of the most versatile guitars in the league. It will def be fine for the things you've listed.
Quote by Dirk Gently

Quote by Tedward
well actually a telecaster can do any style, even those that require
heavy distortion.

For example, Mouth of the Architect, or ISIS.

n00b

btw teles pwn

What these two said. For the genres listed it'll do just fine.

Also Keef uses Fender amps mainly other than a few Mesas, but all around they're American-voiced amps, so I assume a Fender would be the way to go.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
If you got a hotter bridge you could probably do anything you want. I had an SX Tele and I could get Rock tones from the stock pickups. I'm customizing it and replacing the pickups with GFS rails.

You might look into like some Duncan Cool Rails and installing a push pull.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dotheFlop
Hmm! Would getting a tele with humbuckers still keep that raw twangy sound though?
No. The Tele's signature 'twang' tone comes from having a moderate output singlecoil pickup mounted in the bridge at an angle with a metal base plate. Humbuckers, single coils with plastic base plates, or anything else will lose that 'twang'. The Tele will still sound a little brighter than a Strat would, but it won't be as much of a difference as you'd have with the tradtional Tele tone.

What you could do is get a Telecaster Custom. It has a humbucker in the neck position (something Keith Richards often used, and will give you thicker neck tones for those classic rock solos) and a normal Telecaster singlecoil pickup in the bridge. It also has an alder body (most Teles have an ash body, which is brighter-toned than alder and weighs a little more) and it has Les Paul style controls (a volume and a tone for each pickup; normal Teles have just a master volume and master tone for both pickups). It will still have the 'twang' in the bridge position but it will be a touch more mellow when used with distortion and the middle position (both pickups together) is very versatile, as a humbucker and a single coil at the same time is a great combination for any rhythm or lead part.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
What you could do is get a Telecaster Custom. It has a humbucker in the neck position (something Keith Richards often used, and will give you thicker neck tones for those classic rock solos) and a normal Telecaster singlecoil pickup in the bridge. It also has an alder body (most Teles have an ash body, which is brighter-toned than alder and weighs a little more) and it has Les Paul style controls (a volume and a tone for each pickup; normal Teles have just a master volume and master tone for both pickups). It will still have the 'twang' in the bridge position but it will be a touch more mellow when used with distortion and the middle position (both pickups together) is very versatile, as a humbucker and a single coil at the same time is a great combination for any rhythm or lead part.

That sounds ideal. I googled it everything, and they seem great. The only problem is (I know I shouldn't say this, I normally don't mind, only on special occassions) that I really hate the look of that thing.

Is there anyway of getting say a Fender Standard Tele then changing one of the pickups to a humbucker of some sort so one of the pickups would be the stock tele twang sound, whereas the other would be a nice soloy humbucker?

Thankyou!
Quote by dotheFlop

Is there anyway of getting say a Fender Standard Tele then changing one of the pickups to a humbucker of some sort so one of the pickups would be the stock tele twang sound, whereas the other would be a nice soloy humbucker?

Thankyou!

You can actually buy single coil pickups specially for a Tele, that have the characteristcis and sound of a humbucker. There are some by Seymour Duncan and Dizmario that are suppose to be really good. Personally I have never tried them but have considered them my self.

http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/seymour_duncan_st591_little_59_tele_humbucker_pickup.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=00071763

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Accessories/Pickups/13775-/DiMarzio-DP381-Fast-Track-T-Humbucking-Tele-Bridge-Replacement-Pickup-Black?utm_source=googleproduct

Hope that helps
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by brokenarrow5
tele's are kick ass----- do it!

Is that just a name or are you from Broken Arrow?

Oh, and Tele's are teh sex.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls