im in a band where i have a solo in every song. i got some complaints last show that my solo's weren't loud enough.

for rhythms and stuff i have guitar on volume 2, and just go to 10 for the solo. i have a blues driver overdrive pedal BUT i dont prefer to use that for solo's (i use it for other random stuff) because it takes away from the amp tone.

should i get a tubescreamer or something similar? any other suggestions? thanks
Get an EQ pedal with a level slider and use that. If you scoop your mids you could also use it to increase them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by rkmad
for rhythms and stuff i have guitar on volume 2, and just go to 10 for the solo.

Terrible idea. At 2 the signal has absolutely no balls at all.

Why don't you just use the BD?
Quote by Raijouta
Get an EQ pedal with a level slider and use that. If you scoop your mids you could also use it to increase them.

+1

This works very well. I have a GE-7 and do the very same thing from time to time. You can easily get a MOD TONE CLEAN BOOST, I dont know much about them, but hey, its a boost pedal.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Terrible idea. At 2 the signal has absolutely no balls at all.

Why don't you just use the BD?

I feel like its not at 2 at all, cause if he went from 2 to 10... that would be quite the increase.
And yeah just turn on the OD for solos, it really won't affect your tone that much, it will probably improve it (depending on how it is set).
Yeah but EQ pedal can work... tubescreamer can work if you scoop mids, or use it as a boost, volume pedal... they do make those .
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
I used a GE-7 when I would switch from rhythm to lead. Worked great. I recommend putting it in the effects loop... it gives your sound a kind of kick with the boost on.
My experience with clean boosts is that they don't really add volume to solos. Mine just made my signal dirtier.....

I now use my RC-20 (in the effects loop), and turn up the guitar signal volume with me foot (really need to get a Third Hand), or turn the level on my chorus all the way up and flipping that on (most fun )
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
My experience with clean boosts is that they don't really add volume to solos. Mine just made my signal dirtier.....

...says the man with a Boosta Grande as his avatar!

just joshin' ya!

Get something with a pronounced mid boost, like the EQ, as has been noted, or a tubescreamer.

A clean boost could help, but would go best in the fx loop.
thanks everybody. preciate the info

--the guitar is at 2... and i definitely thought the 2 to 10 increase would be enough, but i guess not. i ahve a gibson les paul, and its responsive, but the crowd wants more apparently. (eff yea).

--i dont use the BD cuz it changes the tone too much

ill look into probably the EQ and the tubescreamer

thanks again yall

EDIT: o yea the volume pedal would work real nice haha. used to have one but it went to **** i guess i could just get another one.
Last edited by rkmad at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by rkmad
thanks everybody. preciate the info

--the guitar is at 2... and i definitely thought the 2 to 10 increase would be enough, but i guess not. i ahve a gibson les paul, and its responsive, but the crowd wants more apparently. (eff yea).

--i dont use the BD cuz it changes the tone too much

ill look into probably the EQ and the tubescreamer

thanks again yall

EDIT: o yea the volume pedal would work real nice haha. used to have one but it went to **** i guess i could just get another one.

really need to know whether you're gonna put the pedal through the amp's FX loop or 'in front' of the amp. if its through the FX loop then an EQ pedal would work brilliantly. however, if its in front then all it'll do is increase the gain with very little increase in Volume. Hope this helps!!
It doesn't work to just have your bridge pickup at 7, adjust volume so its loud enough, then switch to the neck pickup at 10?

+1 on the EQ.
Quote by The_Bosstone
It doesn't work to just have your bridge pickup at 7, adjust volume so its loud enough, then switch to the neck pickup at 10?

+1 on the EQ.

thats similar to what i've been doing, but i still had a bunch of people say the solo's dont get loud enough... thought it was strange myself but i might as well crank it for them
thanks avatar axeman, im gonna throw one in the effects loop
A clean boost?

That way you can switch it off for regular song parts, and activate the boost for solos.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.