I play hard rock and metal and need a little more gain, not too much, just enough to boost my amps gain..
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Instead of boosting gain, you could possibly use a volume pedal, OR, you can use an eq pedal to boost mids/high end to cut through the mix of your band when you're soloing.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Instead of boosting gain, you could possibly use a volume pedal, OR, you can use an eq pedal to boost mids/high end to cut through the mix of your band when you're soloing.

MXR ten band EQ?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
MXR ten band EQ?

The MXR Ten Band is probably a good call, as it also has a level boost which will give you a little more gain, and some more breakup if using a tube amp.

Another option is to use a clean boost pedal like the Xotic RC Booster or, if on a tight budget, the Danelectro Transparent OD.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
MXR ten band EQ?

That tends to be the most popular choice.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by ibz_bucket
The MXR Ten Band is probably a good call, as it also has a level boost which will give you a little more gain, and some more breakup if using a tube amp.

Another option is to use a clean boost pedal like the Xotic RC Booster or, if on a tight budget, the Danelectro Transparent OD.

What about a boss sd-1 or a electro-harmonix nano lpb-1?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
What about a boss sd-1 or a electro-harmonix nano lpb-1?

Boss gainboxes tend to be mediocre, unless you get them modded. I've never heard of that EHX pedal you just mentioned.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Boss gainboxes tend to be mediocre, unless you get them modded. I've never heard of that EHX pedal you just mentioned.

It's a clean/power booster.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

No one bothered to ask what amp he's playing through? If it's a mediocre amp, then pedals will make no difference at all until he gets the better amp.

Raise you amp volume to desired gain/volume soloing setting.
Lower guitar volume to fit non-solo gain/volume.
Raise guitar volume for solo.
Easy.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
No one bothered to ask what amp he's playing through? If it's a mediocre amp, then pedals will make no difference at all until he gets the better amp.

Yes, they will.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Yes, they will.

Not that big of a difference. Some amplifiers handle pedals better than others, so it's still essential to know what amp he is playing through.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

An EQ will have an effect on any amp. Maybe not as drastically but if he just wants a little volume/treble boost it doesn't matter if he's playing a spider or a bluesbreaker.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
Quote by i me mine
An EQ will have an effect on any amp. Maybe not as drastically but if he just wants a little volume/treble boost it doesn't matter if he's playing a spider or a bluesbreaker.

He was also asking about distortion pedals. I was more referring to those, instead of the EQ pedals.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Not that big of a difference. Some amplifiers handle pedals better than others, so it's still essential to know what amp he is playing through.

An eq pedal will affect any amp, and can change sound drastically as it alters the dynamics of the sound directly. If you're going to argue that he might be playing through a 5w ss practice amp that has no definition, perhaps, but i doubt it, as wanting to add gain for solos would suggest he plays in a band, with at least a capable amp.

Distortion pedal? Nah, I wouldn't, unless you're playing on a clean channel for rythym. Sd1 in particular imo tends to blur definition rather than add a tight gain, so you're better off without.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by Mazzakazza
An eq pedal will affect any amp, and can change sound drastically as it alters the dynamics of the sound directly. If you're going to argue that he might be playing through a 5w ss practice amp that has no definition, perhaps, but i doubt it, as wanting to add gain for solos would suggest he plays in a band, with at least a capable amp.

Nah he doesn't
Ok. Even so, I'd still suggest an eq or a volume pedal over a distortion/drive/gain pedal, anyway.
Quote by BurningStarlV
I suggest killing yourself.

Harsh.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
You know.. you could put every question into one thread instead of making 18 different ones.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
You know.. you could put every question into one thread instead of making 18 different ones.

Now you see the reason why we said the stuff we said
Quote by BurningStarlV
True.

Well at least you're honest.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
His profile says he uses Marshall amps and his other threads have him looking at little hybrid combo amps and modelling amps so I think it's safe to say whatever amp he has, it's not one that is going to mesh well with an overdrive or boost pedal.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Fiire

Raise you amp volume to desired gain/volume soloing setting.
Lower guitar volume to fit non-solo gain/volume.
Raise guitar volume for solo.
Easy.

That depends on the guitar. The lower you turn the volume on a midrange guitar or lower, such as mine, the more treble and mids you lose and the less definition your sound has. It pretty much sucks tone.

In short, my volume pot has 3 uses: all the way up, all the way down, or very low for tuning.

Besides, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have an EQ pedal, even if he is just using it to boost his level, mids, and treble.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by MrFlibble
His profile says he uses Marshall amps and his other threads have him looking at little hybrid combo amps and modelling amps so I think it's safe to say whatever amp he has, it's not one that is going to mesh well with an overdrive or boost pedal.

I don't remember putting that there??!?!?!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT