So i have a Metal Muff EHX , but lately i dont like the distor, i prefered a clean hi-gain distor and i cant find the distor that i want in pedals.

So i was thinking to sell the metal muff and instead buy an Amp Head (crate fw120h or marshall valvestate i dunno), the Amp Head is for my gigs where i can burrow some Cabs and because is easy to transport (thats why i buy the EHX) but after reading some stuff, i was wondering if a preamp/processor (like Rocktron) would solve my problems or what i should do.
Which preamp should work if i need a Crunchy distor (like megadeth or metallica) and which power amp i should buy? are all the same?

I really dont use pedals, just a Acoustic Simulator and i play Heavy/Thrash metal.

I'll appreciate all your helpful comments if any. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by axl611 at Oct 6, 2009,
Honestly, if you are looking at a Flexwave and Valvestate and are a budget a preamp/power amp combination is not really going to work. The decent ones, made by Mesa, Marshall and Engl, etc are not cheap. I can't really speak to the Rocktron stuff. My hunch is that it is just average.

if you only need a head and only play Heavy/Thrash metal, why don't you just get a Peavey Windsor or Blackstar head and take to gig. Or a used XXX/XXL/Ultra/5150 etc?

If you provide a Budget and closest city we may be able to help a bit further but your OP was a bit confusing so sorry if I missed something.

Thanks for the reply

if you are looking at a Flexwave and Valvestate and are a budget a preamp/power amp combination is not really going to work

Its the Amp Head OR the preamp, im asking which should work for me. In every place i can take some cabs, so i only need a head or a preamp/amp power, but is there any important difference between this 2? which is better (transportation, sound)?

again, thanks for reading.
Well, that's kind of a loaded question.

I have very little experience with preamp/power amps.

Some of the benefits of preamp/power amp combinations is that you can mix say a Mesa preamp with a Marshall power amp. Therefore, some would claim the tone they get from a combination like that is better than say an all Mesa amp or all Marshall amp. Then, if you want to say keep your power amp but swap/trade you preamp for a different tone it is fairly easy to do.

Some of the drawbacks to preamp/power amp combinations is that they are rack mountable which means typically you screw them into a rack that can hold other things like effects, power conditioners, noise surpressors etc. Racks may or may not be easier to transport.

Personally, I would think an amp head by one brand, like a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa Mark IV would be easier to transport and more cost effective.

There's more to it but hopefully that helps.

If not, ask again
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, that's kind of a loaded question.

I have very little experience with preamp/power amps.

Some of the benefits of preamp/power amp combinations is that you can mix say a Mesa preamp with a Marshall power amp. Therefore, some would claim the tone they get from a combination like that is better than say an all Mesa amp or all Marshall amp. Then, if you want to say keep your power amp but swap/trade you preamp for a different tone it is fairly easy to do.

Some of the drawbacks to preamp/power amp combinations is that they are rack mountable which means typically you screw them into a rack that can hold other things like effects, power conditioners, noise surpressors etc. Racks may or may not be easier to transport.

Personally, I would think an amp head by one brand, like a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa Mark IV would be easier to transport and more cost effective.

There's more to it but hopefully that helps.

If not, ask again

Advantages of preamps + poweamp:
- You can mix and match brand flavors
- Smaller
- Weighs less
- Often more features, and stereo
- Costs more
- More vulnerable to physical damage unless racked properly

Cheapest nice and crunchy preamp + poweramp setup I can think of would be a Marshall JMP-1 + Peavey 50/50. Would run you about 500-600 used total. You'd still need a 3u rack though, would cost about 50 bucks used if you look.

A small rack would be easier to transport because it is lighter and smaller. However, Heads are easier to set up and to use.

I would look for a nice used tube head, maybe a jmc800 or if you require more gain perhaps a 5150 or other brand. If you can't get enough gain from the tube amp, you could always boost it a little bit with an OD.

You could also just start out with a preamp, like the JMP-1 or ENGL e530 and run that into your heads effects loop. You would be using your new preamp, and the poweramp of your head.

If you also have a ton of effects, you could look into a rack with an effects tray and switching system. Racks really shine when you get into the territory of MIDI.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
Racks really shine when you get into the territory of MIDI.

that's the goddamn truth! I'd be hating life very much without a rack setup.