I'm pretty sure i'm going to save for an Ibanez TBx150 and A Peavey Cabinet. And i can't just rush out and buy them now becuase i'm only 13, and 16 is the age to get a job here.

Now, the Distortion on this thing is great, But bad Cleans.

so should i get it or not?

AND MY OTHER QUESTION

I was talking to my frnech teacher who is a great quitarist, and he said if you can try and get a Tube peavey 5150 or 6150. And i'm just wondering why should I get tubes instead of a solid state like the ibanez Head?
I'm not intrested in waiting a minute for the amp to get heated up in standby, so what advantages except much louder?

But I am Definatly getting a Peavey Cabinet, 4x12

IMPORTANT NOTES

-I play Metall, Metallica, Dream Theater, that stuff
-I will buy used, if necessary
I will eventually be gigging, but not in the imeddiate future
I have a really Low Budget, The Best sound out of the lowest possible price, therfore I can't afford Marshalls or mesa Boogies...
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Last edited by tryhonesty at Oct 6, 2009,
Why a Peavey cab? You can do better for much less.

Also:
Budget?
Genre?
Gigging?
Willing to go used?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Tube head take only ~30 sec to warn up

And they have better tone also
and one other thing,5150/6150 is really loud,I mean ****ING loud
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
To answer YOUR OTHER QUESTION.

Tube amps generally sound better. You get a real warmth to your sound that I've never seen in a solid state amp. Also the overdrive sound from a tube amp is what you're hearing in about 99% of the music you listen to so the tones you like will be tube tones. I would go more in depth but I'm tired.

Plus, think about how long it takes you to get ready to play. Tuning the guitar, finding a cable & finding a plec all take more time than it takes for an amp to warm up
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The Ibanez TBX150 actually sounds pretty bad, distortion-wise and cleans. I've heard people say it is the worst of the trifecta of bad amps (Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider, and the Ibanez Toneblaster) The Peavey 5150, on the other hand, is an all-tube head which has been used by many professional bands both live and in the studio. If you're looking to play brutal metal, the 5150 is pretty much the go-to head. The downside is that it's become too common.

You can warm up the amp while you're setting up or while you're tuning.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you're constantly going to be on a budget, tube amps are NOT the way to go. Tubes need replacing, and depending on what kind you get, the cost can really add up.

Solid states don't sound as great, but they're decent. And they don't need replacement parts on a regular basis. Again, that depends on the tubes (which I will admit, I don't know a ton about, as I can't afford them yet) being used.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Toneblaster is really bad in my opinion but i might squeeze a little good tone out of it

you can get a used Mesa @ $1k
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I played SS units for several years and enjoyed it. You may too. So Im not going to tell you not to get the tone blaster. But I just got a 5150 and it freakin' slays. Its loud as the devil, and sounds thickl as hell. You can gig with a 75w SS amp and just about any Tube wattage with a good PA. (I still have yet to see a Blackstar HT-5, Tiny Terror, or Blackheart Little Giant on stage) But thats not saying that it cant be done.

If you get a SS head, you can get it for the cheapness. They're not bad, not all of them. The Toneblasters arent the greatest, but then niether was my Frontman, and I did just fine with it for quite a while.

You will long for Tube tone in time, as many UG'ers have before you, myself included. Thier just two different animals. Not better, per se, but different. Albiet the the differences are heavily favored on the tube side.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by tryhonesty
I'm pretty sure i'm going to save for an Ibanez TBx150 and A Peavey Cabinet. And i can't just rush out and buy them now becuase i'm only 13, and 16 is the age to get a job here.

Now, the Distortion on this thing is great, But bad Cleans.

so should i get it or not?

sure, if you are really set on it, get it. but please take into consideration you are 13 and your taste in equipment will mature. you will most likely not be overly happy with something like this when you start playing with other musicians.
Quote by tryhonesty

I was talking to my frnech teacher who is a great quitarist, and he said if you can try and get a Tube peavey 5150 or 6150. And i'm just wondering why should I get tubes instead of a solid state like the ibanez Head?
I'm not intrested in waiting a minute for the amp to get heated up in standby, so what advantages except much louder?

tube amps are considered to be superior products over solid state amplifiers, mainly because of specific physics of how a tube amp amplifies the signal. mainly what most musicians are talking about when they say a tube amp is superior how the tube amp naturally compresses the guitar signal in a way that is 'pleasing to the ear'(a tube amp applies a 'soft compression' that doesn't just cut off the top of the input signal, it kinda smoothes it away). also when a tube amp is pushed beyond it's normal operating specifications certain tones are brought forth that many musicians find desirable(and most solid state amps try to emulate). the basis for 'rock guitar' tone is derived from sounds that originated on tube amps, so if you are looking for 'the tone' and not something trying to emulate 'the tone' then a tube amp is probably going to get you closer. but...

...i am also very adament about not declaring the superiority of tube amps because to me it is very much like saying "Red is the Best Color Ever, and Red is clearly superior to Blue and all other Colors". the *$%# you tell me my favorite color. no one is qualified to tell you the equipment that will work best for you other than you. don't buy into hype, make it a point to make up your own mind on such subjects. try both amps at varying volumes and decide for yourself what you want.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I have my Ampeg SS-140C, which I would like to keep for a long time. But I still plan on getting a decent all-tube head in the future (MIG, 5150? JCM900?! Deizel?!! Valve Jr. ?!!!) Probably the VJ, actually. I want to get into modding.

Your 13 years old, which means that your tastes will change, most likely, in the next few years. I would honestly go with modelling, check into the Peavey Vypyr, Roland Cube, and Vox Valvetronix. Also, stay away from the Line 6 Spider and Behringer Vampire. Too digital sounding.

Really, you will not be happy with the Ibanez once your ear develops a bit more.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Really, you will not be happy with the Ibanez once your ear develops a bit more.

Good call. I couldnt agree more. Because that was me for so long. As you play, and play, and gig, and play, youll finally hear the harmonic changes. If you get a chance to borrow a Tube amp and jack around with it, do it. You wont be dissapointed in the long run. I had the same opportunity and it really opened up my eyes.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204