I'm using CAD mics and the problem I'm getting is that the snare drum clips no matter where i place it. My drummer is very loud, even with the gain off its still clipping. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
tell him to play ****ing quieter for one haha.

you need to cater to your equiptment, and seeing as your not spending hundreds of thounsands on a studio with top of the line professional stuff, with pro engineers etc, you have to work with what youve got
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
tell him to play ****ing quieter for one haha.

Sadly, this is you best option if it always clips. The only alternative (which will introduce another problem, but more on that in a bit) would be to position the pic far enough away so that it doesn't clip. This, however will provide lots of bleeding. If your snare mic isn't positioned right next to the snare, it will pick up other sounds, like the cymbals, or possibly an instrument if you're recording live.

As a drummer, I really hate to advise a drummer to change their playing style for the sake of recording, but it looks like you're between a rock and a hard place here, buddy.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by woodsballplayer
I'm using CAD mics and the problem I'm getting is that the snare drum clips no matter where i place it. My drummer is very loud, even with the gain off its still clipping. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

!!!!! the drummer should prob learn to play a slight bit quieter, his playing most likely has no dynamics (bad for everything cept for really extreme metal) well make sure you dont have 48v on that channel as that boosts the signal a bit. i still find it very strange that at 0 gain its too loud.....
We do play metal, and he does have pretty nice control over dynamics, he just hits really hard when we start rocking out. I think that I'm just not going to mic the snare, the over heads do a nice job of picking it up.

The over head mics i know the least about, how would you guys position them on a double bass drum set? What would you get the EQs like?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
Quote by woodsballplayer
We do play metal, and he does have pretty nice control over dynamics, he just hits really hard when we start rocking out. I think that I'm just not going to mic the snare, the over heads do a nice job of picking it up.

The over head mics i know the least about, how would you guys position them on a double bass drum set? What would you get the EQs like?

yea for the extreme metal, as catharsis said, you want the drummer to hit really hard the whole song (hence the use of smaples on many metal albums) i guess if youve tried everything your going to have to not use a snare mic, are you sure your maybe not putting it thorugh two mic preamps or the have the signal being boosted somewhere? double check hardwware and software.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
Very wrong, mess with your interface, maybe fin a pad button, or if your using a mixer

trim or whatever it is haha. the harder the drummer hits the better it sounds

not always.

and i was suggesting that because he may have limited equiptment, and it could be the only option
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
not always.

and i was suggesting that because he may have limited equiptment, and it could be the only option

i think hes refering to more metal type music. with something like jazz, you rarely hit the drums as hard as possible on drums, you follow the dynamics, extreme metal tends to have one dyamic "LOUD MOTHAH ****AH"
Get an in line attenuator.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
My set ups kinda ghetto, put i gets the job done. I run the 7 mics into a mixer and then run out from that into my toneport.

Me and my drummer have revolved the snare issue, he's just going to play a bit softer (Thank god).

I'm having a hard time recording the drums though, especially the bass drums and the over heads.

It seems with the bass drum (we are using a double pedal if it makes any difference) sounds awesome in person but mic'd up I get this resonance after every hit. I have to remove almost all the bass to get rid of it, reducing my kick drum to a click. We got the mic pointed right at the beaters about 45 inches away from them. Do you guys have any positioning/EQ'ing tips for me or we goign to have to dampen his bass drums.

The overheads is another issue. My drummers very loud, and it seems as though the china and one of the crash overpower everything. Everything sounds really bright, even with the highs turned down. Any tips?

Thanks alot guys, you guys are awesome.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme