Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for six years now. I developed this habit where I rest my pinky finger on the pick guard or body of the guitar (since now I have no pick guard).

Recently I was informed that this was a terrible idea and can greatly hinder your playing...

Is this why I can't learn to sweep pick/string skip accurately, etc? ...

Thanks for your time,

Jason.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
I do that to, and can string skip fine.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I can do it, but repetatively I tend to start mucking up...
Wow. Thanks for the heads up...

How did you get over doing it? It's almost impossible to try and pick without doing it for me... it feels so alien.

Suppose in the end all I can do is keep at it.
PS: Mods, feel free to close this thread...
Quote by Jason_Clement
Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for six years now. I developed this habit where I rest my pinky finger on the pick guard or body of the guitar (since now I have no pick guard).

Recently I was informed that this was a terrible idea and can greatly hinder your playing...

Thanks for your time,

Jason.

its fine to touch the guitar as long as you dont put downward pressure and put it in a fixed position.
Quote by Jason_Clement

How did you get over doing it? It's almost impossible to try and pick without doing it for me... it feels so alien.

Keep at it and eventually you'll be able to make the switch. Play slowly and get used to finding the strings without a reference point.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Jason_Clement

It was kind of odd for me, I anchored for a bit over 2 years and I ended up taking a 2 day break from guitar (cause I was staying with a friend). When I got home I picked up my guitar, started playing and noticed my picking hand felt strange, when I looked down at it I realised I wasn't anchoring anymore and I haven't anchored since.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Jason_Clement

if you pick good without doing it you're anchoring. It's not good, it causes unneccesary tension. You could continue, but your playing would not be not nearly as economical as it should be. I recommend you try as hard as you can, starting slow, to fix it.
Nearly every famous shredder anchors, after reading it about it on here I just forced myself to break the habit and my playing has never been better, although it will feel very awkward for a while and since you have adopted a new picking hand position your going to have changes in your picking technique but as everyone will tell you if it feels comfortable do anchor then do it, it also helps a lot if you play a 7 string because the strain to anchor when your playing the low B will hurt your hand, I'm starting to cringe now everytime I see one of my favourite guitarists anchor
Quote by drawnacrol
Nearly every famous shredder anchors, after reading it about it on here I just forced myself to break the habit and my playing has never been better, although it will feel very awkward for a while and since you have adopted a new picking hand position your going to have changes in your picking technique but as everyone will tell you if it feels comfortable do anchor then do it, it also helps a lot if you play a 7 string because the strain to anchor when your playing the low B will hurt your hand, I'm starting to cringe now everytime I see one of my favourite guitarists anchor

Nearly every famous shredder? Like who aside from Petrucci, MAB and Steve Morse?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Jason_Clement
Hey guys,

Thanks for your time,

Jason.

It isn't the only reason you can't do those things, but it probably contributes to it. Check the massive sticky at the top of the forum for more advice on the topic and right hand stuff in general.
Quote by drawnacrol
Steve vai, alexi laiho, Micheal Romeo, Jeff Loomis, Sam Totman, Dave Mustaine etc etc etc

Vai did but changed his technique. Romeo's picking motion is small and relaxed enough for it to not matter. Loomis doesn't do is when picking anything complex. Totman is terrible. and Mustaine is changing his technique but sometimes revert to anchoring as a matter of habit, he has had a teacher since his encounter with Saturday Night Palsy and his teacher recommended he change.

Laiho is a weird one, his picking motion is strange and not partiocularly economical but it is very relaxed and his anchor, if you look closely, isn't nearly as heavy as it looks to a casual observer.

But at this point I would like to point out 2 things:

1 - Read the sticky.

2 - Just because someone famous does it doesn't mean it's good technique, they're just as human as the next guy and they didn't get famous for pure technique.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ don't forget that lorcan's actually on our side.

after reading it about it on here I just forced myself to break the habit and my playing has never been better,

Non-anchoring Dubs represent!
Quote by Freepower
^ don't forget that lorcan's actually on our side.

Non-anchoring Dubs represent!

Oh wow, I totally didn't notice that

drawnacrol: Sorry dude, I just saw the first bit of the post and reacted

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.