Hi,
For those of you experienced custom guitar builders I have a question.
How do I go about picking the right pickups for my guitar?
I just dont know which ones to get I guess. I guess my question is, does it matter which ones I get. I know some are meant for neck positions and some for bridge positions. How do I know?

If you have any suggestions my guitar is set up for HSS and preferably playing a hard rock/metal/Joe satriani, etc. sound.

Heres a question for yuh

Can you mix and match different brands of pickups on one guitar?
Like a Passive EMG (preferably passive) bridge with Seymour Duncan mid and neck?

And my guitar has a bright sounding body, so which are good for balancing out the tone?

Thanks
you can mix ANY pickups (someone prove me wrong im curious now) as long as they are all actives or all passives. Even then you can mix them, its just a bit more complicated.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
But obviously some are meant for the bridge position and other for other positions right?
Yes, generally speaking higher output is meant for the bridge.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Here's what I've put together so far.
Bridge- EMG F-H1 (to be used with Floyd Rose)
Mid/Neck - EMG S1

Bridge - Seymour Duncan SH-11 (supposedly good for bright tone guitars)
Mid/Neck - Seymour Duncan Jb Jr.

Thoughts?
I would go for the Seymour Duncan's over the passive EMG's, since the general opinion is that passive EMG's don't live up to their active counterparts. However, have you looked at DiMarzio pickups at all? They have a lot of pickup options, and Mr. Satriani himself has used them extensively during his career. Plus they have many pickups with a warmer tone which would do well in counteracting a bright-sounding body.

Also remember:
Quote by blindsagacity
you can mix ANY pickups (someone prove me wrong im curious now) as long as they are all actives or all passives. Even then you can mix them, its just a bit more complicated.

This is absolutely right. You don't have to have all pickups from one brand. For example, you could have the Seymour Duncan in the bridge and neck, and an EMG single coil in the middle. The only thing to keep in mind is that different brands may have slightly different wiring schemes, but as long as you know what the wires on each pickup do then you'll do just fine.